Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
smm300zx

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default About to get a BB 8330 but..

Please Login to Remove!

Is it worth it? is there a better one for sprint? what does it lack ive read a lot of reviews but no one mentions any real problems.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

It lacks a kitchen sink and a couch.

Honestly, nobody can answer such a vague question accurately. Is it worth it? Is what worth it? How much are you paying? Are you getting a deal? Most 8330 problems are caused by their users. Learn how to use it properly and it'll run like a champ for ya!
Old 07-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
MikeLip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

The 8330 is my first Blackberry. I am pleased in some ways and disappointed in others.

I love the communications functionality. I can send text, multimedia messages or use it to access email. I can instant message with it. I can tether it to my laptop where there is no accessible wifi.

It's browser is better than nothing, and Opera Mini is better still.

The GPS is cool, except since my carrier is Alltel/Verizon it's sort of crippled. Garmin Navigator does not work properly unless you also have Telenav installed. Ugh.

I can read ebooks, although Mobipocket sucks once you are used to GOOD readers, like those available for Palm. Sadly there are few other solutions.

The screen is smallish but awesome.

The keyboard is OK.

On the other hand I am an engineer and there are VERY few good math programs out there for Blackberry. I have a dozen really good ones on my Palm and I was hoping to be able to find similar solvers and graphing calcs for Blackberry. There aren't any.

So it's a mixed bag. I still carry my Palm Tungsten for engineering use (and games. It kicks BBs butt for games). But the Curve gets constant use as a communicator, navigator and for light math, contacts and appointments.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
Ntrigue26
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330m
PIN: 309C6720

Wirelessly posted

I personally love my 8330 and have no complaints. If I would change anything it would be having true threaded text messaging (like PALM) and really wasn't a big fan of the third party apps that allow this. But all in all that is trivial and my BB does everything I need it to and more. Best phone I've had yet imo.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLip
The 8330 is my first Blackberry. I am pleased in some ways and disappointed in others.

I love the communications functionality. I can send text, multimedia messages or use it to access email. I can instant message with it. I can tether it to my laptop where there is no accessible wifi.

It's browser is better than nothing, and Opera Mini is better still.

The GPS is cool, except since my carrier is Alltel/Verizon it's sort of crippled. Garmin Navigator does not work properly unless you also have Telenav installed. Ugh.

I can read ebooks, although Mobipocket sucks once you are used to GOOD readers, like those available for Palm. Sadly there are few other solutions.

The screen is smallish but awesome.

The keyboard is OK.

On the other hand I am an engineer and there are VERY few good math programs out there for Blackberry. I have a dozen really good ones on my Palm and I was hoping to be able to find similar solvers and graphing calcs for Blackberry. There aren't any.

So it's a mixed bag. I still carry my Palm Tungsten for engineering use (and games. It kicks BBs butt for games). But the Curve gets constant use as a communicator, navigator and for light math, contacts and appointments.
Have you tried gCalc for your graphing needs (for BB)?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
MikeLip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

Have you tried gCalc for your graphing needs (for BB)?
Nope. But I will now! Thanks.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by smm300zx View Post
Is it worth it?
Worth is subjective (doesn't matter what you're asking about). No can tell you if it's worth it to you -- especially when you don't provide any details on what you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smm300zx View Post
is there a better one for sprint?
Better is subjective as well. Figure out which models Sprint offers and you can compare them at Blackberry.com. If you're looking for info that Blackberry.com doesn't offer (such as reception, reliability, day-to-day-usage concerns) then search here for the models you're considering. Odds are pretty good that owners of those models have posted here. If you have some specific questions about them then definitely post them.

Last edited by takeshi; 07-08-2009 at 08:58 AM..
Old 07-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

The entire Curve line is solid and, in general, without any major flaws. It's a mature product line so RIM has had plenty of time to work the kinks out. I think it's well worth it to get one, but be aware: on the 12th the new BlackBerry Tour will be released by both Verizon and Sprint. It's a big upgrade to the Curve and a much different keypad. It will lack WiFi though, so it that's a major priority for you, then skip the Tour and get a Curve 8330.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
Hess2790

Carrier: sprint

im thinking about upgrading to the curve 8330 from sprint, i currrntly have the 8130 pearl, and i love the blackberry. its just time to upgrade to a larger phone with a full keyboard. I have a few questions.

How does the wifi work....as far as connecting to it? because my home is wireless.

how is the camera?

and how is the keyboard? buttons easy to type on?

sorry for jacking the thread!!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
wholesalestunna

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

8330 has no wifi but network speeds are pretty fast.

Camera is average to good for phones... not as good as the storm or some of the newer blackberry's though.

I love the keyboard... I like how it has the spaces between the keys unlike the Pearl or the new touch... makes it easier for my fat fingers.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:03 AM   #11
wooch
Thumbs Must Hurt

IMO, the only negative with the 8330 is battery life: it's plain out terrible. Other than that, great device.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #12
sexygyrl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Wirelessly posted

I came to the Curve from Windows Mobile phones, (Mogul & TouchPro) and I spend a lot of time answering emails, texting, and on the Internet. The battery on my Curve is far superior to either of the previous mentioned phones. I also like that the bb actually deletes email from my actual account when I delete them instead of just on my phone..there's so much more.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
purcy

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooch View Post
IMO, the only negative with the 8330 is battery life: it's plain out terrible. Other than that, great device.
My Sprint 8330 has awesome battery life, I stream internet music through the day, use push email, chat on yahoo messenger for at least one hour, go on many websites through the day, play games, once in a while make a call (oh right, it is a phone) and at the end of my day (or around 9pm) it is still has at least 45% battery left. I always charge it overnight, so that is no problem, but I think that is great for all I put it through each day.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #14
bocaccio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooch View Post

REally????????
How much time do you NOT spend on your cell???

Because i had a Samsung Instinct prior to buying the curve 8330. With the Instinct I used two batteries a day and now the curve isn't even down to 40% by the end of the day.
Closed Thread