Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
Knocka
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Wireless
Default Address Book/Outlook Contacts Bug

Please Login to Remove!

I have a BB 7100 and use Blackberry Enterprise Server. I also use Outlook 2003 connected to an Exchange Server. All of this is done throught Mailstreet, which I highly recommend.

Here is the issue. It is a bit confusing because Outlook had both a Contacts list and an Address Book and BB calls its application Address Book. I will specify which Address Book I mean each time (this is a little involved, because it is hard to describe):

When you create a new email message in Outlook, and you click the "TO" box,
Outlook launches the Address Book. I have Outook set to use my main Contacts list from my Mailstreet Mailbox (which synchronzes with my BB) as the address book. (I have checked the option to have my Contacts appear as an Address Book in Outlook, and I am aware that there are other ways to get to it--I am just describing here what I think most people do).

The only Contacts listed are those with either a Fax or Email address associated with them. So far, this is all normal. Now, if you edit a Contact that does NOT have an email address using the BB, and add an email address using the BB, a problem occurs. The modified contact WILL appear in the Outlook Contact list. BUT, when you go to Outlook's address book (which is the list of names that appears when you create a new email and click the "TO"
box, the Contact will not appear.

For example, say John Jones is a contact with only a phone number. John Jones will not appear in the Outlook Address Book because it has no email or fax number. Now, you use the BB Address Book to add an email address. The email address will appear on the Contact in Outlook (as soon as it synchronizes), BUT, John Jones will still not be listed in the Outlook Address Book. To get it to appear, you MUST add the email address in Outlook, not the BB.

Oddly, if you create an all new contact using the BB Address Book, with an email address, it will work just fine.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? Try what I described. I am assuming this affects all BBs, not just the 7100g. I am wondering if anyone knows of a fix, or what is causing the issue.

Chris
Old 10-03-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

The BlackBerry handheld should only synchronize and update with the Exchange-side Contacts. This was by design. I would imagine this is more of an Outlook configuration issue rather than the BlackBerry. How about just changing it to use the server-side Contacts rather than the Outlook Address Book (which, if I'm not mistaken, is localized)? The Address Book in Outlook has been deprecated and the Contacts have long since taken its place as the default contacts manager.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:38 AM   #3
Knocka

I use Exchange-Side Contacts. But, if you want Outlook to resolve email addresses, it has to look somewhere. The place it looks is call the address book. You have to set your Contacts to be shown as an Outlook Address Book. Try this: In Outlook, go to Tools | Address Book. This is where you tell Outlook which Contacts list to look in to resolve email addresses, for example, when you create a new email message. This is not, for once, an Outlook issue. If the email address is created in Outlook's Contact list, and not on the BB, it works fine.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:05 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I've noticed the same problem. I had to retype all the affected email addresses in my Outlook Contact List before they would be picked up in Outlook Address Book. It took me several hours to figure this out, too! I just never put it together with when and how it happened. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-05-2005, 06:04 AM   #5
Knocka

I am glad someone else feels my pain. I think this is a BB issue. Does anyone know how to notify BB and get it fixed. BTW, the same thing happens if you ad a fax number to the BB (I just do not care if those show up in the Outlook Address Book).
Old 10-14-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I guess I'm the only other person who has experienced this....I just added some more address and had to do the same fix in Outlook 2000/2003. My guesss would be it's a BES issue but I'm not an expert with the BES software....Anybody know why this problem arises?
Closed Thread