BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #81
chelleyjoan

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

YAY! It worked thank you so much! The new OS rocks!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #82
trinityr

Model: many
Carrier: US Cellular, Verizon, AllTel, AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
So, you downloaded the newest, latest and greatest OS for your BlackBerry and have followed all the instructions found here.

1. Download and install Desktop Manager.
2. Download and install the OS of your choice for your device.
3. Delete vendor.xml located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.
4. Plug in BB and open Desktop Manager.

However, when you open Desktop Manager you get no prompt to update. When you open Application Loader your new OS is not listed!!

This has been plaguing people for the last few months. I've never experienced the issue because of the way I've loaded Desktop Manager but Vasco at Horizon did and he and I together figured this out. I believe we've found the issue and will explain how to fix here.

The problem lies in the new Desktop Manager's automatic "Check for Updates" feature. This feature uses your internet connection to look for OS updates for your device from your carrier. When it does this it loads a second virtual vendor.xml file in the temp folder on your computer (Vista users look in C:\Users\Username\appdata\virtualstore.) So, even after you delete the normal one that is installed with the OS and Desktop Manager, the automatic "check for updates" feature loads another one based on the brand of device you've got plugged into the PC.

To prevent this from happening this you need to install Desktop Manager WITHOUT this Automatic Update service. Below are the steps to remove this service.

1. Go to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.
2. Click on "BlackBerry Desktop Software" and select "Change/Remove."
3. When prompted, hit "Next" and then you should get options for Modify, Repair, or Remove. Choose "Modify."
4. On DM 4.7 and higher, in the list of installed items, you should see "BlackBerry Automatic Update." Click the icon next to it and change it to "This feature will not be available." That should put an "X" next to "BlackBerry Automatic Update." If you are using DM 4.6 or lower and don't see this option in this list then just continue with the install and the installation will ask you a few screens later. A screen will be shown where you will be asked to check the boxes for:

A) "Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager automatically each time the computer starts."
B) "Create a shortcut for BlackBerry Desktop Manager on the Windows Desktop."
C) "Check for software updates."

Be sure number 3, "Check for software updates," is NOT checked.

5. Finish the installation.

(Note: If you're doing a fresh install of Desktop Manager, be sure and choose the "Custom" install button so that you get the prompt for what features you want installed. Otherwise all the features will be installed as normal and you'll likely run into this issue.)

Once that is complete, you'll need to go back and search your computer for vendor.xml. When you do the search, make sure you click on "Advanced Options" and make sure that you search Hidden files and folders. This is important as some operating systems create a virtual store in the temp folder that this vendor.xml file is located in. You will not find this particular vendor.xml if you don't have hidden files/folders selected for search. Once the hidden vendor.xml is deleted it won't come back if you've reinstalled Desktop Manager without the Automatic Update Feature enabled.

Now, make sure your OS is installed (you may need to install the OS again, if you actually remove Desktop Manager and then reinstall Desktop Manager again. Make sure that you delete the normal vendor.xml file LAST before updating the device.

Tip of the day: Desktop Manager is not even required for doing an OS upgrade. In the same folder as the vendor.xml file is a file called Loader.exe. Running that will run apploader without Desktop Manager. It still makes the full backup and restore, but without all the DM stuff running in the background. I use this for all my OS upgrades. Then later I connect to DM to start my BES activation.

Great FAQ, however, most corporations install using SMS or batch scripting when installing to their users. Is there a way to prevent the Auto Updater from running during the installation such as a MST? I tried using an instruction file however that was ignored. Are there registery hacks perhaps?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #83
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Why did you quote entire first post? :P
Old 06-08-2009, 02:48 AM   #84
infamousturk

Carrier: Rogers

So frustrated. I've done everything, now when on DM it finally reads the new OS system I want to update to, it allows me to click on the check box next to it, but when I click "next" it says no update needed. Could someone PLEASE help me.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #85
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Welcome to the forums.

Make sure you've deleted the vendor.xml file. Also, try using Loader.exe to load the OS and not DM.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 06-09-2009, 05:20 AM   #86
Kavim

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2 UK

agreed... using the loader file in the same folder as the vendor.xml file works great.
I had the problem with the automatic updater nuking my upgrade before it even started but one click on the loader file and maybe 2 clicks and 45 mins later the os upgraded fine
Old 06-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #87
kgambino
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (Bold 9000)

Thanks, John, once again you are the man.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #88
bingkoy25

Model: 8700G
Carrier: Globe Telecoms

Hi Ive got my BB 8700g from my brother in US w/c he bought from Ebay with a T-mobile service. I already unlocked the device and IT policy already blank but when i tried to call it always say "call failed". I cannot make a call or send SMS. Please help other details listed below.

using:

Desktop Manager 4.7 (470_b050_multilanguage.exe)
BB 8700 OS: 8700EastAsia_PBr4.5.0_rel75_PL2.7.0.66_A4.5.0.52_T elstra
tried already BB OS : 8700M_PBr4.1.0_rel211_PL2.0.0.111_A4.1.0.258_Globe
carrier: globe telecoms
Old 07-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #89
GavinBKK

Model: 8800
Carrier: AIS
Default Where to download latest 8800 firmware?

Go easy on me, I am completely new at this.......

I hav an 8800 that was on 02 UK, but has been unlocked. It is about 3 years old.

The firmware is v4.2.1.68 on Platform 2.3.0.54.

I understand that there is a much newer firmware but, try as I might, I cannot find where to download it. Th BB site sends me around in circles.

I have installed DM 4.7 and disabled the Automatic update feature and deleted the only single vendor.xml file that I could find.

What do I do next please? I tried running loader.exe, but it still tells me there are no updates available.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #90
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

At the top of the 8800 forum are Sticky threads that say "Attention". There is one for the latest OS for the 8800. Make sure you use the 8800 OS and not 8820 or 8830.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #91
GavinBKK

Model: 8800
Carrier: AIS

Many thanks indeed. That worked like a charm; all done now.

I can't see too many differences actually - is this firmware more of a bugfix, rather than new features then?

Cheers!
Old 07-08-2009, 12:29 AM   #92
Carmel Valley Homes Agent
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

I had this problem but it was solved in a very helpful way by Verizon support when I called their service number. I must say I was happily surprised to find them so helpful. After dealing with the reps in the Verizon retail stores in San Diego, I didn't think the home office would be any better. But in fact they fixed my phone, gave me other helpful pointers about the Blackberry, and put me on a better calling plan.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #93
dominicanodcora

Model: 8350i
Carrier: nextel

i have read your post and did everything as stated. i have the nextel 8350i. i've tried it on my computer running xp and my friends computer running vista. both running dm 4.7 but i use the loader.exe to load os and i keep getting error 547 write flash failed and i used 2 diferent os for the phone. but when i pull the battery for 30 seconds and i put it back on i'll get a jvm error 102 and i also followed those steps on removing jvm error. i got the phone working once but not anymore. i just have a paperweight until someone helps me out. thanks
Old 07-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #94
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Welcome to the forums.

Try loading the OS again using Loader.exe and make sure you're using a USB port on the rear of the PC. Also when you load the OS, uncheck any 3rd party applications or themes that may be trying to install. Just load the basic core applications.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 09-04-2009, 07:02 AM   #95
sobe09

Carrier: rogers
Default I Need Help

hi,

I cant get Dm 4.7 or Loader.exe to to work on my blackberry 8900 curve. I am trying to load os 5.0 and Dm says no update is needed. loader.exe dosent even list the new os 5.0 i installed. i followed all instructions you said but no luck.
one question i have is do i have to have my current os installed (4.6) when i install the new os 5.0 i want to upgrade to? i dont know what to do.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #96
franglish
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Free

i am using dm 501 to upgrade my bold to os 301 but after deleted vendor and try to connect to dm or loader.exe nothing happened...what should i do...pls help me thanks
Old 09-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #97
madrussian

Model: 8310
Default JVM Error 547 - has anyone figured this one out?

Carrier: ATT
Model: 8310

Error displayed on the screen 'JVM Error 547, flash write failed. Scroll for available commands'

After loading a new OS, desktop manager is not able to 'Reconnect to JVM'

I have tried 'wipe' using JL_Cmder, I have tried inserting the battery during 'erasing existing applications' process of the update, deleting vendor.xml, disabling automatic updates, removing and re-installing bberry desktop software - and still can't get the phone passed the JVM Error 547 !

I hear so many successfully got their phones functioning again - can anyone suggest things I can try?
Old 09-09-2009, 03:14 AM   #98
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I tried the hidden vendor.xml trick on both BDM 4.7b059 and BDM 5.0b028 on my 8900. With either combination of 5.0.0.130 or 5.0.0.190, i cannot get either OS to install. I tried Windows 7 64bit and Vista 32 bit. Still a no go. Any thoughts?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:57 AM   #99
dblake

Model: 9530
Carrier: TurkCell
Default "net.rim.platform.ecmascript" missing problem/Storm 9530

For some reason some apps (BB Messenger, Maps, Document view) have disappeared and I've been trying to re-install them using DM or Loader but get the error message: "net.rim.platform.ecmascript"

I had also tried to do a complete clean with JL Commander but although it "connected" and the screen went red everything stayed on the device.

If I can get the "net.rim.platform.ecmascript" loaded somewhere that will probably solve the problem.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #100
hoangtrang

Model: 7100T
Carrier: student

That's a very interesting topic. But this field is still new to me. It will be grateful if you give me some more information about it. Thanks in advance.