BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Lightbulb Verizon FIOS Remote DVR can run on 8900 too!!!

Please Login to Remove!

(to all who use Crackberry as well as this fine forum, my apologies for double-posting -- I wanted to be sure that 8900 owners saw this whether here or there)

I use Verizon FIOS for my home Internet connection, TV and one of my phone lines. Fantastic service overall, and I was excited several weeks back to see that they were rolling out the "Remote DVR" application for use on Blackberry's. Excited, that is, until it became clear that they were only releasing the app for Blackberry models featured by Verizon Wireless. I use T-Mobile for my mobile service, and was disappointed to see that there is NOT a version of the FIOS Remote DVR app available for my 8900.

Verizon's site essentially says, "sorry -- try again later to see if we support your device", and goes on to tell me that I can use the mobile web site instead to manage remote DVR functions.

Never being one to accept defeat so lightly, I checked back at Verizon's site a couple of times, hoping to fine a version for the 8900. No such luck. BUT...having recently loaded a bunch of 9630/Tour themes on my 8900, I wondered if the only difference between Remote DVR app versions was the screen layout, and if the Tour version would work on my 8900...

I tried the Verizon page one more time, and it clearly refused to let me navigate to the JAD to even try out my theory. So I did a bit of googling, and found that another user had posted a direct link to the JAD for the Tour. I popped that into my Blackberry Browser, downloaded (it was slow - with a lot of pauses) and installed it on my 8900...and ran it.

The program started up properly, noted that I had to register my remote device (Blackberry) with Verizon, based on my existing FIOS account credentials. I did so, was provided with a code to authorize the Blackberry to access my FIOS account, and I was in!

Having the same screen layout as the Tour, my 8900 operates the program perfectly -- and I'm running this, btw, on OS 5.0.0.190.

Long story short: the Tour version of the FIOS Remote DVR app runs perfectly on an 8900. Remember: this is ONLY applicable to you if you have a Verizon FIOS TV account at home, and are renting one or more DVR's from Verizon for the service.

For anyone else who finds themselves in my shoes, e.g., Verizon FIOS customer with a Blackberry 8900, here's the link to use to download the JAD directly to your 8900:

(EDIT: corrected link to JAD)

http://www36.verizon.com/fiostv/web/...630/fiostv.jad

Enjoy!

Last edited by vinmontRD; 09-28-2009 at 09:19 PM..
Old 09-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
trlightning
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A

Thanks vinmont, this works like a charm!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlightning View Post
Thanks vinmont, this works like a charm!
Excellent! Glad to hear it. I was playing with this last night before going to sleep. One of our DVR's is in the bedroom -- my wife was using the FIOS remote, and I had my 8900 running this app -- both messing around with the same programming. Pretty nice! Also nice to be able to control the DVR from pretty much anywhere I may be.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
timmyc123
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820

Does anyone have a new link to this? It is no longer available.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
hokie123
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyc123 View Post
Does anyone have a new link to this? It is no longer available.
The latest version is now available at Blackberry App World. I'm running it fine with OS 5.0. Really slick app!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokie123 View Post
The latest version is now available at Blackberry App World. I'm running it fine with OS 5.0. Really slick app!
Isn't it? I downloaded the official 8900 version to replace the one I wrote about at the top of the thread -- very nice!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
phlattstv

Carrier: AT&T
Default AppWorld wont let me donwload FiosTV DVR remote

AppWorld wont let me donwload FiosTV DVR remote on my 8900.... Anyone know how to work around this? If not, can someone point me to a place where I can download the jad file please...

Thanks,
phlattstv

Last edited by phlattstv; 05-25-2010 at 12:09 PM..
Closed Thread