BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
catback
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Anyone using Jivetalk over wifi on a 8320?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

Anyone here not on a data plan and still able to use the latest version of Jivetalk that supports wifi? If so, did you have to enter in anything under the phone's TCP settings in options>advanced options>tcp?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
nedzalife
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: TELUS

Yes I've played around with it but getting to get it to work through Wifi is a little buggy. Here's my email conversation with them. Hope this helps

Quote:
Hello,

Been using JiveTalk since beta, loved it, bought it. Thanks for the great program and continued improvements you're making to it!
Just installed the new beta w/ wifi support. Noticed one thing right away:
I can't use Wifi standalone, regardless of BIS/BES data plan
example - if you turn off the gsm antenna, the wifi options in preferences disappears, and you cannot log in. If the gsm antenna is turned off, the program also fails the network autoconfig. I do not have a BIS/BES plan on my 8320, but I have jivetalk running through raw a TCP data plan.
I asked about this issue on the forums, and it turns out another user that has BIS can't do the same thing either. Is the wifi traffic tied to UMA service providers only?
Since this is currently happening, users with wifi blackberrys with no BIS/BES plans (like myself) cannot use the wifi option at all (i'm in canada... blackberry data costs an arm and a leg here, and I'd like to keep my limbs for the time being)
It would be a really nice feature to be able to log in via wifi only rather than relying on the gsm antenna.

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------

It should work fine if you have it set to Wifi Preferred or even Mobile Network Preferred for it's Wifi options inside JT.

One OS level bug we have seen is that the WIFI support does not come up correctly if you reboot the device with WIFI enabled. In other words, try turning off WIFI on the device before rebooting, and then turn it back on after reboot. After that the WIFI option should work.

If the application is set to WIFI preferred, it should seamlessly switch in and out of WIFI depending on coverage. With the radio turned off and app set anything but WIFI NEVER, it should still work fine.

You can tell if the application is using WIFI if the bold WIFI icon shows on the titlebar instead of the standard mobile coverage bars.

-----------------------------------------------

Thanks for the quick reply. I tested your instructions by doing the following:
-Turning wifi off, then pulling the battery for a full reboot
-Loaded JT (auto login is disabled), changed to wifi preferred, had both gsm and eifi antennas turned on, tried to log into msn, got a bad DNS error.
-Went back into preferences, checked to mobile network preferred, logged in without any problems.
-Thinking its the APN setting causing this issue, cleared out the APN setting from options, changed JT back to wifi preferred, tried to connect with gsm and wifi turned on, it worked via wifi... (sweet!)
- Then logged out of JT, turned gsm antenna off, loaded jivetalk again, and there is no now wifi option at all anymore... trying to log in says that data services are unavailable, however the blackberry browser works fine via wifi and the gsm antenna off...

It still seems as though the program is dependent on the the gsm antenna being on in order for wifi to work
Thanks for the assistance!
I haven't heard back from them since.

PS - I'm using the $5 mobile internet plan from Rogers (TCP only) which requires APN settings for JT to work over edge.

Last edited by nedzalife; 02-04-2008 at 02:23 PM..
Old 02-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
catback

Great questions. Please keep us updated if you hear anything useful.

Do you have anything listed under options>advanced options>tcp in your phone's settings?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
catback

oops just read your edited reply.

you mentioned you had to enter in the apn info for jivetalk to work over edge. did you have to enter in any apn info while over a wifi connection in order to use jivetalk? reason i ask is because some carriers consider using their apn a data connection and charge you accordingly.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
nedzalife
Thumbs Must Hurt

exactly what I've found to be the case with Rogers... I don't know if they actually charge for wifi connections, but from my experiences, its seems their network is setup to require APN setting for anything to connect via wifi. Wifi seems to the be just the transport (at least on a blackberry, it might be different on a WM device), and still checks back with either the RIM or APN servers to ensure the proper data service is enabled on your account before allowing the traffic to go through.

Last edited by nedzalife; 02-04-2008 at 03:48 PM..
Old 02-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
catback

so would it be a true statement that the wifi enabled jivetalk currently out does not work on a purely wifi connection but rather still requires some sort of data connection?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
nedzalife
Thumbs Must Hurt

As its still in beta, and I don't develope the program, I cant say that is or isnt the case, however, judging from the responce I got from their CSR, it sounds like the intent of implimenting wifi is to eventually allow people to use it without any data plan, TCP or BIS.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
t i z j o n

Model: none
Carrier: tmobile

So anyone here..using wifi without a data plan for Jivetalk incur any extra charges on the phone bill? Cause a tmobile representative told me that the Jivetalk im's would still count as "text messaging" fees...
Old 03-15-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
makedonce
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AE6BA3
Carrier: T-mobile MK

Hi,
I am on t-mobile Macedonia and don't have BB data plan because they dont offer it. I just use regular data for jive talk and gmail.
However, since i bought the 8320, I have been using JiveTalk at home and in the office over wifi, but i did notice that some data is beeing used as well. Today, i had the wireless turned off completely and only ran wifi, jive talk is working flawlessly.
I also took the sim card out, and jivetalk is still working over wifi.
What i would suggest is to delete the TCP setting and just run Jivetalk over wifi. that way it will be impossible to occur any data charges.
Also, in the Jivetalk preferences under networking select wifi as preferred way to connect

Hope this helps,
P
BB Support rule #1: When in doubt, pull it out..... (the battery)

http://www.twitter.com/petarnikoloski

Last edited by makedonce; 03-15-2008 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 03-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
t i z j o n

Model: none

thanks alot for the info
Old 10-24-2008, 01:03 AM   #11
viettrunkz

Model: 8320

GREAT!!! NEWS! thanks to reading this i kinda figure out how to do it. for blackberry with wifi... i have to 8320 by the way, this is what you do, go to option>Advanced Options>Browser>(Default Browser Configuration : Wi-Fi Browser ... and after you change it to that.. leave everything else alone, and save it.. reboot, and turn your jivetalk on.. or go google.com and bam you online! =] i hope this help!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:59 AM   #12
glanne

Model: 8320
Carrier: Globe Telecom

i use beejive solely on wi-fi. i know this for sure because i wasn't on a data plan for a while after i purchased my bberry. on beejive, hit menu button > preferences > (scroll down to networking) set wifi option to: "wifi preferred". easy as pie.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:41 AM   #13
drizzt09
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Canada

I turned off mobile network and turned on wifi
then i went to menu, preferences, set to TCP and wifi preferred and saved
worked for me.

and my browser is set to BlackBerry Browser not WiFi Browser and both browser and jivetalk work fine
Old 07-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #14
netzone

Model: 8900
Carrier: INDOSAT

jivetalk work fine using wifi
Closed Thread