Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell Canada
Default Playbook backup fails?

Please Login to Remove!

I've successfully backed up my PB a few times, but my latest attempt has failed repeatedly.

It tries to backup 620.19 MB, gets nearly to the end [617 MB] but fails with a message that says "there could have been a problem with the device or connection during backup. Verify that the device is turned on and connected." Well, it's on, and connected. I've downloaded a few apps from the PB app store and have a few music and video files on it. I can back up the settings data...it's the application data that it seems to be choking on.

Any ideas? Has anybody seen this kind of behavior before?
Old 06-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND
Default Re: Playbook backup fails?

I experienced the same issue with .1710

I haven't had this issue since then. I had to back up all three elements one at a time. If I tried to back up everything on the device, I would get an error [something about a faulty connection or it being not present]
Old 06-05-2011, 05:08 AM   #3
almolne
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

I am glad that I am not the only one. I did not have a problem before but the last two times I get the same message that you did.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hmmm...that's good to know [sort of]. I'm not too worried about it since I don't have any critical data on my PB...maybe an upgrade to the PB OS or Desktop software will sort things out. Perhaps we should all try to figure out how to put in a trouble report to RIM...
Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
sid_kid
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

i just got off the phone with PB support and the CSR told me that application backup currently is not supported even though it gives you the option in desktop manager. they also shared with me that sms will be supported in a future software update, and that you will be able to answer phone calls on the PB and basically use it as a bluetooth headset. the CSR did not have an availability date, but said that all of those issues would be implemented in a future software release. they also told me that the 3G version of the PB would handle sms, phone calls, and app backup out of the box, however they could not give me a release date for the 3G version...go figure...

all i know is that when the 3G version does come out i will probably have a 16GB wifi version for sale...lol...

this is some interesting news that came straight from BB support so i hope this helps and excites some of us...have a great day all!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

if you delete an app that came with the playbook, it can cause the backup to fail.

I have spent days on it and fix is coming soon.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_kid View Post
i just got off the phone with PB support and the CSR told me that application backup currently is not supported even though it gives you the option in desktop manager...but said that all of those issues would be implemented in a future software release. they also told me that the 3G version of the PB would handle sms, phone calls, and app backup out of the box, however they could not give me a release date for the 3G version...go figure...

all i know is that when the 3G version does come out i will probably have a 16GB wifi version for sale...lol...
Interesting news... I hate to be negative, and I _do_ like my Playbook, but I'm starting to feel as though RIM could have had things a little more thoroughly thought out for the PB release.

I'm willing to settle for Wi-fi only...if I REALLY need to get my PB online without 3G, I can always tether. What I don't need is a bigger bill for my phone service. At the same time, I have to say I'm finding it dismaying how poor publicly available Wi-fi services are...
Old 06-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
if you delete an app that came with the playbook, it can cause the backup to fail.

I have spent days on it and fix is coming soon.
I will live with hope...
Old 06-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #9
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

With the new PB OS, 1.0.5.2304, seems that people are having no problem backing up their device.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
sid_kid
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
With the new PB OS, 1.0.5.2304, seems that people are having no problem backing up their device.
i will give it a try tomorrow and report back...
Old 07-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
SBurhani
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

I have tried multiple times to backup my BB, on all the OS releases, but it doesn't happen. It shows that it is preparing, the PB shows the backup screen, but then I get an error message on the PC saying backup failed.

I have the latest version of desktop manager, and even tried a phone backup first to make sure it couldnt be a DM issue. Have tried multiple USB ports and multiple cables, but again, everything works fine for the phone, but no dice on the PB.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #12
patrickylau

Model: PB
Carrier: Nil

I purchased my playbook in April 2011. I cannot backup my playbook after some OS updates. I recently did a Security Wipe and install one update to the OS, now I can backup my Playbook flawlessly. I believe certain early updates are causing the problem. Hope this helps.

Patrick
Old 02-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
khalnayak

Model: 9900
Carrier: vodafone

I have found a no of people having the same issue but then here forums.techarena.in/portable-devices/1452094.htm Getting error while backing up BlackBerry Playbook - Portable Devices[/url] are some solution that you can try out, just check it out and see if it is helping you out or not.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
tnhjr

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
I experienced the same issue with .1710

I haven't had this issue since then. I had to back up all three elements one at a time. If I tried to back up everything on the device, I would get an error [something about a faulty connection or it being not present]
Could you explain exactly what you did by backing up three elements. I had the same problem with backing up and it wouldn't under the new version.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

there have been a few apps that do not shut down causing the backup to fail.

if you have many apps installed the desktop manager timer times out with error

both of these issues are supposed to be addressed in OS 2 and a new version of desktop manager

wait a few weeks for OS 2 and see if it backs up then or do a selective backup for media and pics only.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
there have been a few apps that do not shut down causing the backup to fail.

if you have many apps installed the desktop manager timer times out with error

both of these issues are supposed to be addressed in OS 2 and a new version of desktop manager

wait a few weeks for OS 2 and see if it backs up then or do a selective backup for media and pics only.
So this is not something that could possibly be resolved by shutting down and restarting and then try running the backup? Kind of like a Windows reboot.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
phil8715
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: PB
PIN: 289D080D
Carrier: 3UK

In my partner's case the Blackberry Desktop Software keeps coming up with "Loading of backup content failed".

Any ideas?
Closed Thread