BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
atai3

Model: 7250
Default 7250 Exit Button and Vibrate Broken

Please Login to Remove!

Hello All,

I have had my 7250 unit replaced twice in six months. Both times for similar problems: vibrate stops working and the exit button begins to stop responding.

The vibrate function just stops working periodically. It will fix itself sometimes, then break again on its own will. It is almost like some sort of connection is loose...

Similar situation with the exit button under the scroll wheel. The button will just stop responding as well. I have to hit it a couple times or hit it harder for it to respond.

I am on my way to replace the unit a third time now. I am wondering if it is just me or is there same situation across the 7250 line.

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
Steve
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Default 7290 vibrate broken

My Cingular Blue 7290 no longer vibrates on alerts. I've rechecked all the settings and it still doesn't work. Mine wasn't intermittent, it just flat out quit. Took out the battery for a reset, but it didn't help.

I'm missing incoming e-mail and BBMs cause of this :(

The tones still work, but I can't hear them well anyway to make that a work-around.

Dunno if opening the case and poking around would help, or if turning it in for a fix is worth it as we await the patent issues or the 8700, which ever comes first.

Steve
Old 11-12-2005, 11:49 PM   #3
MarkHolbrook
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250

Funny, my 7250 vibrate also stopped recently and the exit button is difficult at times. I bought mine used so I don't have a recourse to get it fixed. (easily that is).

M
Old 11-13-2005, 02:55 AM   #4
jscully

Model: 9530
PIN: 3066853A
Carrier: Bell Mobility

I'm having trackwheel issues. Scrolling down it "jumps up" sporadically.
I just don't want to replace it with a re-furbished model. And I'm not to excited to buy a new thumbwheel and a torc wrench...I would probably end up busting it even more...
And, I don't want to send it away...I'd go nuts!
I haven't had any issues with the vibrate, but the exit button sometimes isn't responsive...I blow on it like a harmonica, and it works again (though this doesn't work for my trackwheel).
Old 11-13-2005, 12:56 PM   #5
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Not related to those issues but to tell you about refurbished units, I had to have my 7250 replaced about a month after I got it because of connectivity issues. I hated the thought of a refurbished unit also since it implies, denotes, conotes all sorts of bad images. You know what? this refurbished phone I got came with a year warranty from the moment I got it already an extension on the older one, albetit by about 30 days only, but still a full year warranty all over again. Second this phone came in flawless, no scratches and working right from the get go. I have had it for roughly for five months and no issues what so ever, I could not be happier. When I was faced with the situation here I posted a survey type posting and I was encouraged to go ahead and get it exchanged. Remember that a refurbished one has been tested and re tested at the factory before shipped to you. So my advise is to go ahead get it replaced you wont regret it.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 11-13-2005, 01:02 PM   #6
jscully

Model: 9530
PIN: 3066853A
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Hmmmm...I guess you're right. I had a 6750 that I had to replace 4 times, and 3 of them were refurbished models...and I didn't have any issues, I guess. I'll probably wait out this issue until it gets really annoying and go the re-furb route and go for the one-year warranty...good advice!
Old 11-15-2005, 01:16 PM   #7
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
My Cingular Blue 7290 no longer vibrates on alerts. I've rechecked all the settings and it still doesn't work. Mine wasn't intermittent, it just flat out quit. Took out the battery for a reset, but it didn't help.
I had my vibrate stop working on my 7280 once. I opened it up and found a wire was broken to the motor with that weight attached (I am familiar with what a cellphone vibrator looks like). I resoldered it, and removed lint from the vibrator area, and the vibrator was like new again!

If your BlackBerry is your own, it is out of warranty, you have no insurance, and there is no hope of getting it replaced for free. Then there's hope. If you have Electronics experience, then the vibrator is an easy repair (You only need High School Electronics Class experience):
- Remove lint from innards of battery, which can affect vibrator
- Resolder the soldered contacts leading to the vibrator
Then it's like new.

Do not attempt to do this if you are not familiar with the use of a soldering iron to fix a loose wire or are not familiar with "cold solder joint" (defective solder joint).

eBay is another route. Sell your defective BlackBerry at about 60%-80% of price of purchasing a different BlackBerry off eBay; there are people that do self-repair on things they buy from eBay.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 11-15-2005, 11:49 PM   #8
Steve

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

I gave Cingular's Blackberry Tech Support a call and they transferred me to ATTW Data Group PDA/Blackberry support for us Cingular-Blue people. (Orange (866-490-2666) answered immediately, Blue (866-293-4634) answered the transfer after 7 minutes)

ATTW Data Group listened to my problem, then I was hooked up with warranty claims who determined I was still eligible for warranty! (I ordered it just before Thanksgiving last year - WHEW!)

The BB is my only voice phone and they needed info from the inside of my BB (hindsight, I should have copied all down before initiating the call). However, we do have a videophone, so I asked the warranty rep to call me back through SprintVRS and complete the coversation through a sign language interpreter and our VP.

She was taken off guard a little, but I urged her to make the call and they will connect with me. I stayed on the BB voice until she reached me with the Video Relay Service. This was a good thing as I did have trouble understanding her anyway.

I signed all the numbers from the open BB and asked about wiping the data on the returned unit. They'll deliver my replacement in 1-2 days!

Thanks for the soldering tip, Mark. Maybe next year, if I practice ;)

Steve
Old 12-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #9
robertfligel

Model: 7750

were you able to get an answer/ fix to this short of replacing the unit
Closed Thread