Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
TopNotch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Thinking about getting the 8700g

Please Login to Remove!

Alright well my contract is about to expire and i was thinking of getting a 8700g or eather a sidekick3. i need someone to put me on the right path. What i mostly wanna do is just talk on AIM and go on the internet/ check my emails, with the phones so whitch one would be better for that.

Also if i do deside to get the 8700g i was wondering how much is it monthly for the unlimited services and all?:
Old 04-25-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: TMO

If the most important thing for you is chatting then I would say wait for the SK3. It is a more consomer/prosumer product and Danger took the time to really work out their chatting program.

Unlimited for TMO is $20.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
TopNotch

Carrier: t-mobile

20 bucks doesn't sound bad.

i was checking out Cnet.com for a review on the 8700g for t-mobile but i couldnt find a video anyone seen it yet?

Also this would be my first blackberry and i was wondering from what i read it sounded like u had to download aim from the blackberry. Also how is aim on the blackberry does everything work good any problems?
Old 04-25-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

There are several threads talking about IM programs. I'd highly recommend reading through them or checking out the useful search functions. I've got Yak-On but I rarely chat. The keyboard will take some getting used to if you're coming from the SK2, be warned, I'd go to TMO store and play around with a device.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
dcfella
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopNotch
20 bucks doesn't sound bad.

i was checking out Cnet.com for a review on the 8700g for t-mobile but i couldnt find a video anyone seen it yet?

Also this would be my first blackberry and i was wondering from what i read it sounded like u had to download aim from the blackberry. Also how is aim on the blackberry does everything work good any problems?

AIM on bb is ok, and better than ok depending on which program you'd use. I've been using Ramble for over a week, and I like it. I don't really chat that much, but when i do, it works good. I think the SK AIM is by far the best AIMing device on the market though. In terms of look and feel, it's hard to touch the SK in that department. Surfing the net on the 8700 is alot better than the SK2. It's fast and the screen is great. I hear the SK3 is going to have edge too, so the difference there might become negligible.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #6
richds

Model: 8310
Carrier: T-Mobile

I downloaded the T-Mobile IM client on my 8700g w/c includes AIM, ICQ, MSN and Yahoo and its working great so far. I'm mostly on Yahoo Messenger so I don't know how stable the other IMs are but on my end, Yahoo Messenger is amazing.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
mymitsu3kgt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Carrier: TMobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The most important thing to mention about the aim client on the blackberry is that it works through sms messages and if you don't have the unlimited text messaging plan, you'll get charged extra. SMS messages are not included in the data plan for tmobile.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:50 PM   #8
dlsolo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymitsu3kgt
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The most important thing to mention about the aim client on the blackberry is that it works through sms messages and if you don't have the unlimited text messaging plan, you'll get charged extra. SMS messages are not included in the data plan for tmobile.
Very good point!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:01 AM   #9
spblat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mo

I switched from a CSK to a SKII to a BB7100t, then an 8700g, because I needed push e-mail for work, and my company runs BES. As already pointed out, the SK series will give you a better chatting experience unless you want to pay an annual fee for VeriChat, and even that may not be as slick as the SK AIM client.

But here's why I'll never go back to the SideKick platform:
  • Danger's frequent outages drove me insane (maybe this has been fixed)
  • I can install any software, ringtones or wallpapers I want on my BB over the air, needed to jump through crazy "get a developer key" hoops to install custom software on SK
  • Google Maps
  • Google Talk
  • Zen theme gives me the same quick access to apps as [jump]-[letter]
  • Legendary BlackBerry durability

I have achieved phone nirvana with my 8700g. I just want to shout from the rooftops that I have found the perfect phone. Glorious screen, great battery performance, blazing fast EDGE, incredibly responsive operating system thanks to the faster CPU. I had fun as a SideKick user, but in my mind there's no comparison.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:25 PM   #10
CalienteSean

Let me add to this post. I just bought the 8700g last wednesday. Let me tell you I am in love with it! I really cant get away from it. It's like an addiction. Seriously! I can truly say I understand what a "crackberry addict" is!

Anyway I thing the blackberry will be the best choice for you cause it has everything the sidekick has and more and runs 100times better........It's truly a great phone! goodluck
Old 04-27-2006, 06:55 PM   #11
NawlinsBlackberry

Smile

I can't wait until mine gets here!
Old 04-28-2006, 09:15 AM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

[QUOTE=TopNotch]i was checking out Cnet.com for a review on the 8700g for t-mobile but i couldnt find a video anyone seen it yet?
QUOTE]
Hardware-wise it's identical to the 8700c if you're having trouble finding reviews. However, I seem to recall reading a C|Net review of the 8700g. There are some differences from an end user point of view but these have nothing to do with the devices themselves:

TMO's BIS is newer and integrates multiple email accounts better.

The theme on the two devices are different but themes are, of course, just software and can be loaded from one to the other.

TMO's 8700g comes with some IM software. I'm not familiar with it. I have an 8700c and I don't use IM.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #13
bobhammer

Model: Curve
Carrier: CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by richds
I downloaded the T-Mobile IM client on my 8700g w/c includes AIM, ICQ, MSN and Yahoo and its working great so far. I'm mostly on Yahoo Messenger so I don't know how stable the other IMs are but on my end, Yahoo Messenger is amazing.
Totally agree....I heard that rim is working on AIM messenger just like the one for yahoo!!! hurrah!
Gtalk:bobhammer
BB model:8700r, The Pearl(water damage), Curve
Old 04-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #14
bobhammer

Carrier: CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by richds
Totally agree....I heard that rim is working on AIM messenger just like the one for yahoo!!! YAY!!
Gtalk:bobhammer
BB model:8700r, The Pearl(water damage), Curve
Old 05-30-2006, 11:03 PM   #15
ViolaBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymitsu3kgt

Is Google Talk part of SMS messaging plan or unlimited data plan?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2006, 11:19 PM   #16
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

I went thru 3 sidekicks (the color sk and 2 sk2's) after my first 3 bb's died, and have not looked back since going back to the blackberry. I, along with everybody else who had one, got tired of all the crashes, loss of connection and lack of customization. Plus it was physically taxing on my wrists and hands to hold the sidekick which was solved by going back to the bb. I will never go back to the sidekick again.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:31 PM   #17
Webby
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700G

I say go with the blackberry. I use to have a Sidekick but got fed up due to lack of customization. I don't know how the SK3 will be but it looks like the interface will be the same as the SK2.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:06 PM   #18
illest

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmobile

Go with the Blackberry 8700g. Screen is beautiful, internet is very fast, phone and speakerphone is very clear, unlike the 7230 I used to have. Email is easy to use and the 3rd party software programs are lovely. A must have.
Plus I like the screen right there instead of pushing a button for the screen to come out.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:25 PM   #19
TBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

i switched 2 weeks ago from a treo 650 sprint to a bbery 8700g TMO.

i would highly recommend the bberry 8700g. i am a heavy SMS and IM user and find the bberry a gret tool. i will admit, i was not too into they keypad's cheap build coming from a treo 650. but let me tell you i went to sprint a couple times and just sat there with the demo model and went though it. i suggest you do the same.

i had a sidekick II for 1 month and returned it just before the month was up and cancelled the account. it was great for IM SMS and email but i just couldn't get into the cartoon design and limited configuration.

hope this helps. i really suggest going to tmo and using the demo model. i was debating between the 7290 and 8700g. so happy i got the 8700, speakerphone is a definite must have.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:41 PM   #20
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

here is an easy way to put all of this.. if you want bells and whistles... a device that does everything but nothing great.. buy a sk3.. but if you want something stable and rock solid and works 99.9% of the time grab a bb... its that simple.. all the new stuff on the sk3 doesnt matter if half the time u have no email service or no G as its called because the network is having a nationwide outage....rotflmao why put up with that crap... i just dont get it...

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Closed Thread