BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
JSar

Model: 9100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Default Advice for migrating our servers to another provider.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
We have a BES server (version 5.0.1.89) as well as a BES router and attachment server which we'll (very) shortly be migrating to another provider.

This means that the servers will not be available for a period of time and will have different IP addresses once they become available.

We have the migration process itself down, but are missing specific BES knowledge of what would be required and what impact it will have during the migration.

We think we have a few good ideas about what impact this will cause and a few on how to complete the migration and ensure services are available but unfortunately we don't have time to learn enough and verify our steps/thoughts.
So I have a few targetted queries for the community to confirm and expand on our thoughts:
  • Is there a specific shutdown / start up method we should use?
  • Will this impact our blackberry users while the servers are migrated? (i.e. not contactable)
  • Our servers will all have new IP addresses assigned but will be resolvable by name. Are any changes required as a result of this? It appears that everything is referenced by name as we would expect...
  • What ports will need to be open by our new provider once they're migrated?
  • Have you done a similar migration or have any focused documentation on this type of migration?

I know this is quite an open query, but appreciate any help that you can spare.

Kind regards,
Stephen
Old 03-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
tmattari

Model: 9900
Carrier: Telenor Pakistan
Default Re: Advice for migrating our servers to another provider.

No need to do any thing. Because BB required "BB services", so your BES will work normally just enable BB services by your provider.

Regards,

Tahir
Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSar View Post
Hi,
We have a BES server (version 5.0.1.89) as well as a BES router and attachment server which we'll (very) shortly be migrating to another provider.

This means that the servers will not be available for a period of time and will have different IP addresses once they become available.

We have the migration process itself down, but are missing specific BES knowledge of what would be required and what impact it will have during the migration.

We think we have a few good ideas about what impact this will cause and a few on how to complete the migration and ensure services are available but unfortunately we don't have time to learn enough and verify our steps/thoughts.
So I have a few targetted queries for the community to confirm and expand on our thoughts:
  • Will this impact our blackberry users while the servers are migrated? (i.e. not contactable)
  • Our servers will all have new IP addresses assigned but will be resolvable by name. Are any changes required as a result of this? It appears that everything is referenced by name as we would expect...
  • Have you done a similar migration or have any focused documentation on this type of migration?

Kind regards,
Stephen
So long as you have email flow and you have port 3101 on BES set for outbound initiated bi directional traffic, you should be good.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
JSar

Model: 9100
Carrier: N/A

Hi,
Thanks for your replies, it sounds like it isn't going to be a big deal then.
I'm not sure what BB services refers to, but it sounds like its required for BES to work in which case we're fine there.

I wasn't involved in the original setup so i'm not sure if we need to change anything at our provider's end?

Also please note that our BES servers will be down overnight while the migration occurs, please confirm that this won't have any impact?
Will text messages simply come through via the provider and email not be available?

Thanks again for your help.
Kind regards,
Stephen.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

If the Server is unavailible, Users will still be able to use the Phone features of their Blackberries, including SMS. Also BBM will work if not disabled and Blackberry PIN messages.
If someone tries to send an email, it will be shown with a red cross after a short time. PIM synchronisation is unavailible.
As soon as the BES is again connected to the network everything should start working again with no loss of Information. Messages which could not be send can be resend manually from the Blackberry.

As long as you dont change your active directory structure / email system and only your internet provider there is not much you have to do. Just inform your users about the outage, then, wait.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
martinpas
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520
Carrier: Claro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSar View Post
Hi,

Kind regards,
Stephen
Did you mean Wireless celular provider? If so, this will not affect to your Bes
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread