BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA
Default SmrtGuard is now open to public beta!!

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
SmrtGuard for BlackBerry allows smartphone users to remote track and remote wipe smartphones to protect themselves in the event of theft or loss. BlackBerry smartphone can also scheduled auto wireless backup of PIMs and more.

Who is it for?

SmrtGuard for BlackBerry is designed for consumer BlackBerry smartphone users.

Feature Highlights

Simple, easy to use interface

Over-the-Air Backup

Remote tracking and data wipe with SmrtGuard Web Dashboard

Personal Guardian - one button distress call

SIMCard Guardian - prevent unauthorized SIMCard swapping

Supported Devices

BlackBerry Storm
BlackBerry Bold
BlackBerry Curve 8900
BlackBerry Curve (83xx Series)
BlackBerry Pearl (81xx Series)
BlackBerry 88xx Series

Minimum requirement BlackBerry OS 4.3
Old 03-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
PIN: Pulled - 1, 2, 3 run!
Carrier: AT&T

Taking a look at it now. Thanks for the info...

David

Twitter
Old 03-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Thumbs up

I have been playing with and checking out this program for a couple of days now and so far it is pretty dam impressive. I might try to put together a "regular joe" perspective and review of it this weekend.

In the interim - has anyone else tried this program?

David

Twitter
Old 03-25-2009, 04:54 AM   #4
Spankypoo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TMo

I installed it, but I can't launch it. (TMo 8900 .114.)
Old 03-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

it looks very neat. still, i prefer my roblock

good app tho. it has potential. if it stays free, i might use it later
Old 03-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski View Post
it looks very neat. still, i prefer my roblock

good app tho. it has potential. if it stays free, i might use it later

I really don't see that happening. It is obvious a lot of time and expense went into this app/service and the fact that it backs up for you as well is a pretty sure sign that someone somewhere has to pay for that storage.

"WHAT" the price is going to be is what I really want to find out.

David

Twitter
Old 03-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
GadgetGuru72

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIOLATOR View Post
"WHAT" the price is going to be is what I really want to find out.
Me too. I don't want to waste my time messing around with the Beta, only to find out that it's too expensive to keep using it. I'd prefer to know now what the cost will be.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Below is the post I put on another forum that SMRTGUARD indicates they are using to get feedback:
__________________________________________________ _________________

I have been playing with this app for a few days and the update definitely fixed a few issues.

Observations...

The look, feel and functionality of this application is very impressive and is extremely easy to use. (I get the distinct feeling that one or more of the developers is a Harley Davidson fan with the color scheme!)

The GPS location on "Find my BB" is almost dead on. The approximate location is a few blocks off. SMRTGUARD located my BB in about 2 minutes with the updated version

This and/or the tracking function, in reality, would be kinda useless if someone stole you BB unless you were a LEO and could roll with your laptop and had the credentials to initiate a probable cause traffic stop.

However, if you left your BB on a store counter, or if fell off in a parking lot, this feature would absolutely be useful.

The "Self Destruct" feature is almost instantaneous. When testing this feature my phone went off almost the second the mouse button was released. Quite impressive.

The same goes for the "Track my BB" and "Stop Tracking my BB". Alerts are sent and received immediately to the phone.

I tested the "Emergency Alert" (minus the 911 function naturally!) and my wife's phone did NOT receive the SMS notification. The E-mail notification was instant and the location in the e-mail was identified as:
GSM NETWORK. CELLID: XXX LAC: XXXXX MCC: XXX MNC: XX

The backup information is all there when I log into the website.

Overall - I now wish my daughter, who is a college student, had a BB so I could load this program on it because she travels out of town for school and comes back home late at night. The "Emergency Alert" feature would sure make me feel better knowing she had it.

Personally, knowing I could "nuke" my stolen BB right in the hand of a thieving perp would bring me great joy if I got nothing else out the deal.

As of right now I would absolutely consider purchasing this program. Considering the phone insurance is about $85 a year already - I am thinking a onetime price of $10 - $15 dollars to supplement that insurance would be appropriate.

David

Twitter
Old 03-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #9
Raptor464

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIOLATOR View Post

Observations...

The look, feel and functionality of this application is very impressive and is extremely easy to use. (I get the distinct feeling that one or more of the developers is a Harley Davidson fan with the color scheme!)

The GPS location on "Find my BB" is almost dead on. The approximate location is a few blocks off. SMRTGUARD located my BB in about 2 minutes with the updated version

This and/or the tracking function, in reality, would be kinda useless if someone stole you BB unless you were a LEO and could roll with your laptop and had the credentials to initiate a probable cause traffic stop.

However, if you left your BB on a store counter, or if fell off in a parking lot, this feature would absolutely be useful.

The "Self Destruct" feature is almost instantaneous. When testing this feature my phone went off almost the second the mouse button was released. Quite impressive.

The same goes for the "Track my BB" and "Stop Tracking my BB". Alerts are sent and received immediately to the phone.

I tested the "Emergency Alert" (minus the 911 function naturally!) and my wife's phone did NOT receive the SMS notification. The E-mail notification was instant and the location in the e-mail was identified as:
GSM NETWORK. CELLID: XXX LAC: XXXXX MCC: XXX MNC: XX

The backup information is all there when I log into the website.

Overall - I now wish my daughter, who is a college student, had a BB so I could load this program on it because she travels out of town for school and comes back home late at night. The "Emergency Alert" feature would sure make me feel better knowing she had it.

Personally, knowing I could "nuke" my stolen BB right in the hand of a thieving perp would bring me great joy if I got nothing else out the deal.

As of right now I would absolutely consider purchasing this program. Considering the phone insurance is about $85 a year already - I am thinking a onetime price of $10 - $15 dollars to supplement that insurance would be appropriate.

David
Couldn't agree with you more David. This is a very impressive program. Just today they pushed out an update to the public beta. Now up to version 1.02
Old 03-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

I just read this information in another forum - I was not aware of this feature which makes it even that much better:

Quote:
When self-destruct is activated, it wipes the content of your SD card as well.

ALSO, the wipe also removes the Email (Message) application as well. WHY? To prevent others from reading your new emails

So, if you do decide to test this, be ready to do a reload of Message app using desktop app loader.
David

Twitter
Old 04-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #11
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Default Update v1.05

Installed v1.05 and noted the following:

Locate my BB worked faster than it has in any previous version.

Self Destruct which used to work almost immediately took nearly 20 minutes to go through.

Audio Ping which also used to work almost immediately took almost 15 - 20 minutes to go through. When it did finally go through, it was the same pulsing alarm sound as in previous versions. (I saw others indicate theirs activated differently with the new version). I tested it again with the same results.

SG-AUDIOPING was sent out at 9:59 PM and was received and activated at 10:00 PM. Very impressive and very cool addition!

All my back up data is there and I have it set to back up every night for now and have had absolutely no problem with that.

I did not play with Remote Listen yet and will fool around with that over the weekend.

I also did not play with Lock Device yet because quite frankly - I was afraid to! (Need to read up on it more and find out how to Unlock before I go and brick my dam phone!)

David

Twitter
Old 04-03-2009, 03:48 AM   #12
shawntdot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Lock Device just does the keyboard lock like it would if you pressed the lock button or put it in the holder.

I plan to pay for this software when it comes out in full.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #13
arieltf

Model: Z10
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I played with the Remote Listen. It works as stated. Some people could abuse this option and use it to spy on people.

The Remote Lock works too. If you don't have a password set, then unlocking is done by pressing the * key and then the green phone key. I was hoping that you could remotely set a password and then lock it.

I'm afraid to click on the "Self-Destruct Test" button. What does it do, exactly? I don't want it erasing anything from my BB so I'm forced to restore the files.

--Ariel
Old 04-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #14
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arieltf View Post
...I'm afraid to click on the "Self-Destruct Test" button. What does it do, exactly? I don't want it erasing anything from my BB so I'm forced to restore the files.

--Ariel
It just sends you a notice indicating that "...had this been an actual Emergency..." LOL!

That is all - you just get a notice that it was ready and prepared to wipe your system had you hit the real button.

David

Twitter
Old 04-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #15
Raptor464

I have yet to try the Remote Listen feature.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #16
cybertek
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Looks like they are no longer accepting Beta users. Anyone know when it will be available?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
Oditius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: US Cellular

The program is great if it wasn't for a couple problems I have.

Backing up the contacts fail around 60 or 70 out of 99. If I don't back them up then it gets to the Call Logs and fails.

Worse yet it doesn't shut down. Just keeps saying "Working....." So I figure it is using battery power.

As far as locate me is concerned, it also is like 12 miles off. I even left the BB outside in the sunlight.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #18
arieltf

Model: Z10
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oditius View Post

Worse yet it doesn't shut down. Just keeps saying "Working....." So I figure it is using battery power.
I had this problem, too. A battery pull fixed it.

--Ariel
Old 04-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #19
Oditius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: US Cellular

Wirelessly posted

But it fails everytime!! When it finally fails it stops, but that can be hours later.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #20
Dorian
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers & AT&T

Finally figured out what was murdering my battery....and this was it! Every version they came out with was halving my battery life....and that was with tracking off!

Deleted it and advised all my staff to do the same.

Dorian
Closed Thread