BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default "WPA" WiFi Security Mode with the 8320?

Please Login to Remove!

I've searched the forum and have found a lot of helpful info regarding WiFi and the 8320, but nothing I've read so far addresses this question:

Can the 8320 be set up to access a WiFi network that is using "WPA Personal" encryption?

Background: I can connect to an unprotected WiFi signal coming from a neighboring condominium unit, and everything seems to work well. I can make/receive calls and send/receive data. However, I'd prefer to connect to my own WiFi router (with a much stronger signal) on which I use "WPA Personal" encryption (not to mention the fact that I'd rather not intrude on my neighbor's signal/bandwidth). My carrier is T-Mobile, but I do not have T-Mobile's HotSpot plan.

I note that when I attempt to manually add my home WiFi network, "WPA" is NOT one of the available options when it asks for a security type. The available options on the 8320 are "WEP, Pre-Shared Key (PSK), PEAP, LEAP, EAP-TLS, EAP-FAST, EAP-TTLS, EAP-SIM."

So....

- Can WPA be added?
- If it can't be added, might it be available in a future OS upgrade?
- If "no" is the answer to both of the above questions, must I then change my home WiFi network to one of the security types listed on the 8320?

I was informed by one of the mods that there are folks out there who are, indeed, using WPA, and if so, someone must have a method for doing so.

THANKS for any advice you can share!

Coatesville, Pennsylvania USA
(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 01-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Yes, the 8320 works fine with WPA.
You can probably use the PSK setting (Preshared Key) for WPA.

There was no special treatment needed on my end. My 8320 saw my WPA network right away.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Default Still Not Working: Here's What I've Done So Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Yes, the 8320 works fine with WPA.
You can probably use the PSK setting (Preshared Key) for WPA.

There was no special treatment needed on my end. My 8320 saw my WPA network right away.
Thanks for the kind response. For a good while, I just couldn't get it to work. I kept getting error messages saying the WiFi connection was not successful, along with numeric error messages such as "W0010". I went into my router and found I had MAC filtering enabled, so on a hunch, I added to the router's MAC client list the MAC address from the 8320 that was shown as "Device MAC" when I accessed "Network Details". Still no go. I then disabled MAC filtering on the advice of one of my buddies who is my computer guru (he said MAC filtering really isn't all that helpful as far as security is concerned), and still...no go! BUT....

Upon my buddy's advice, I powered down the router, powered it up again for a reset, and VOILA! WiFi UMA works like a charm on my WPA-encrypted network.

Ain't it the truth: when it doubt, reboot!

Coatesville, Pennsylvania USA
(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 01-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
beprahst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

So I guess you just set your router's WPA security and the Berry connected? Or did you have to do something else? I've been using WEP, but since WPA is better, I wanted to use that, but as you say, it is not listed in the drop-down list. Was it really that easy? I'm heading home to try it tonight...
Closed Thread