Old 01-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #41
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman1 View Post
My pardons if I affended you. It'll be dc/dc from now on.
Are you serious? Affended? You're even worse than I previously thought.

Since you're obviously not in touch with modern times, I'll help you with my signature. It has nothing to do with my name.

Urban Dictionary: paper stack

Following that the xxx8364; is for the European Union's Euro currency, that I like to stack.

Last edited by dc/dc; 01-08-2010 at 08:52 AM..
Old 01-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #42
techman1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: VZN

dc/dc
You've given me a little education. This is an unknown to me and I'll add it to my dictionary. I'll address you as dc/dc. And sincerely,

Have a very blessed day!

Have a blessed day everyday!

Bob
Old 01-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #43
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman1 View Post
dc/dc
You've given me a little education. This is an unknown to me and I'll add it to my dictionary. I'll address you as dc/dc. And sincerely,

Have a very blessed day!
You should address me as Keith Flint, Katy Perry, Snow White, Shirley Manson, Joan Jett, Alexis Brown, or Lacey Mosley.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #44
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

*sigh*
Old 01-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #45
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I remember when I lurked around here before registering and dc/dc was Joan Jett, and then the constantly changing avatars started confusing me and it wasn't for awhile that I realized he was Joan Jett. *sigh* Memories. Haha.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #46
techman1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: VZN

Thanks.

Have a blessed day everyday!

Bob
Old 01-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #47
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T

I just refer to him as Manson

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 01-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #48
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

This thread is getting bizarre. Did Lunkhead start it?
Old 01-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #49
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
This thread is getting bizarre. Did Lunkhead start it?
This reply from lunk is inevitable:

"Yeah, wanna make something of it?"

Old 01-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #50
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

To get things slightly back on track....

I don't think bullying will ever go away. There is bullying in schools (even if there are laws against it) and bullying between nations.

But to comment on (and agree with) some of the stuff dc/dc said, it's also up to a child's parents to teach them acceptable behavior towards others. At the same time, and just as important, parents need to teach their kids that life isn't full of fun and flowers - they will suffer disappointments in life - and how to handle those situations.

I'll give you a 'for example'. My son has been on several teams with different coaches since he started playing hockey. There have been times where he wasn't getting as much playing time as he would have liked, but I'll be dammed if I was going to go crying to the coach about it. I told him if he wanted to play more, he needed to talk to the coach himself and find out what he needed to do - and he did (and wound up playing more).

Unfortunately, there are also a couple of kids on his team who's parents think their kids are the 2nd coming and they should be starters and playing all the time - and they complain to the coaches if their kid isn't playing enough.

I find this extremely irritating (and possible discussion for another thread). What, exactly, does this teach the kids? That if life isn't fair, mommy or daddy will fix it for them. It doesn't teach them to think and do for themselves, and how to handle situations that are not ideal.

Perhaps not quite on topic re: bullying, but kids need to be taught by their parents that life is not always fair - and how to handle it.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #51
Noodle22

Some parents are overbearing and are pushing their kids as well. Those parents may be trying to get their child to live a dream that they lost. But I definately see your point, I would hate to be a coach and to have parents talking to me all the time. I'd most likely tell them off and say that if their kid wants to say something to me, they can, and it would be between them and I.

It's like having your mom tell your boss "Why are you not promoting her!? She's obviouslly the best!"
Where, if I want a promotion, I talk to my boss about a personal development plan to get me there.

Sorry, I kinda ranted and rambled there.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #52
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T

Life isn't always fair. We all know that and most of us learn from it, the rest go off crying to anyone that will listen or worse yet, take it out on others.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 01-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #53
kathrynhr

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

I was bullied. It didn't feel good, but I learned to deal with adversity. I turned out fine, and learned valuable lessons: sometimes life doesn't feel good, I can get through it, my life's happiness doesn't depend on what little Sally says or thinks, forgiveness is the high road, etc.

There will always be parents who want to wrap their children in bubble wrap, whether it's someone being mean to their baby, or homework that's "too hard," or someone's feelings getting hurt because they failed a paper. The problem is that no one will ever pave the way for you like that except your parents. You either learn some coping strategies as a child, in a secure and controlled environment, which is relatively easy... OR you can wait until you're an adult and you lose the love of your life, or get fired for your nonchalance, or are mired in a drug addiction before you learn to cope with life's problems. Come on, guys, which is preferable?

I feel the same way about the nuts (no pun intended) at my kids' school that insist that no children in the district be allowed to bring peanut butter sandwiches to school because little Timmy has a peanut allergy. "Little Timmy" is now in high school. Going the extra mile to protect a kid in Kindergarten is one thing. Continuing the circus into tenth grade is quite another.

Sorry, kiddo, but sooner or later you need to learn to cope. Some random on your commuter bus someday will have eaten a Reese's cup before leaving work, and you'll end up in the hospital if Mommy won't take the gloves off and teach you to use a flipping epipen between now and then.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #54
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

My thoughts on the subject are what juwaack said. Bullying is part of human and animal nature. It's something like establishing the pecking order among chickens. The helicopter parents of today are not doing their kids any favors by trying to protect them from every disappointment or perceived slight in life.

Last edited by daphne; 01-08-2010 at 09:08 PM..
Old 01-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #55
Noodle22

I have another point to mention, just because this is starting to make me think of my boyfriends daughter. She's five, going on six in February, this girl is well loved and cared for by many. My boyfriend is very happy she has a second father figure in her life, because it's more love she will recieve. This girl is sweet, and is used to getting much as she is (well was) a only child.

She started school this year, and we're trekking up to Prince George to go see her, and all I can think is "Wow, this girl is way too sensitive to handle being around other children". Last time we were there, she cried when her friend had to go home for dinner, she cried when she didn't get a potato with dinner after telling us she didn't like them, she cried when her cousin who is a baby walked into a room holding her teddy bear.

Her aunt Crystal has told us she just had a crying fit because Crystal did not agree with her that Arial's bikini is better in the original disney movie then her daughter's in the new one.

All I can think is, what's going to happen the minute some kid tries to stand up to her, or tries to push her around? I'm worried if she doesn't start experiencing real life lessons, she will grow up being far too sensitive to cope with the real world.

Again, I know she's 5, but this is just my concern, and it has been since I noticed this crying phase. She's also got a new baby sister which could also be the problem.

Just a side thought, sorry for the long post.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #56
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

As a mom, that behavior would drive me nuts, and honestly I'd make her take a time out for acting like that. By not telling her that's unacceptable behavior, she will continue to do it and it will only get worse.

Sounds like the first few months of school will be hard on her as reality comes crashing in.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #57
Noodle22

It drives me nuts as well, I'm not her mom, but I try to be a positive influence on her when she acts like this.

The potato incident, she just burst into tears, I just said "Morgan, I thought you said you didn't like potatoes and did not want one? You don't need to cry, all you have to do is ask for one and we will give you one" To which she stopped crying, we put one on the plate, and made her eat it. It's not temper tantrums, it's just all out bawling at almost no notice.

When I mention this to people, everyone says "Well she's 5...", to which I believe this is not a phase, but something we should work towards so she can handle herself when she goes to school. She's already in kindergarten, so I'm excited to hear how she's been doing so far.
Closed Thread