BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
adamzeit
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy Please help! Bold keeps rebooting!!

Please Login to Remove!

Guys - not sure what is going on here. I have a Bold from Rogers with the "125" software release. it is unlocked on AT&T and was working like a charm for the first hour - and now all of a sudden it just keeps re-booting itself for NO reason. I have installed NO 3rd party software - nothing. All I did was sync to my BES (which worked fine) and that was it. I have barely used the thing - went to Google.com once and then closed the browser. It just rebooted again and I have 29.9 MB memory free. So far, I think it happens a certain period of time after I "lock the KB"...which I set to be the default of the left convenience key.

HELP!! This device rocks...and I paid through nose to get it here....tell me I am missing something - -please? I don't want to go through the hassel of returning to Canada and getting a new one!

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

The Bold is buggy, and there are various problems associated with it. I's suggest calling Rogers or wherever you got it and discuss it with them.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
dr_jared88
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Have you tried the number one fix for all Blackberry's? Pulling the battery?

I had my Curve doing that once and pulled the battery and never did it again.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

Did you by chance put in an SD card that was formatted for another device?
Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
adamzeit

dr_jared88 = after it happened the 2nd time, yes - I pulled the battery and waited about 10 seconds and put it back in. Has happened twice since then.

barbwyr = no....I have not put any SD cards into the device yet.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
funkyp56
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPhon
PIN: iPhones have no PIN

wipe!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
adamzeit

CRAP - I think I just figured out the problem. It is happening each time I out the device down on the desk, just placing it down normally (not hard at all, but not soft like I am holding a new born baby) on the back of the device (fake leather facing the desk), the device reboots. When it happened in my pocket those 2 times, it must have banged against my leg and caused it to reboot too.

So - those of you familiar with BlackBerry, is this just a flat-out manufacturer's defect? Or do I have something wrong with the back cover (fake leather) part of the device? Maybe I just need to "futz around" with it?

Any suggestions?
Old 08-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
dr_jared88
Thumbs Must Hurt

only thing i can suggest is to make sure the battery is securely placed in the device and not somehow loose and loosing contact.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Sounds like a loose connection for sure. I had a Curve that you could reboot by tapping it with your finger. If it is not a bad connection with you battery, sounds like a hardware defect. Replacement
Old 08-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #10
adamzeit

Default Eureka!

Hi Marc...actually I pulled the battery a few times and re-seated the back cover, and it still happened. I checked and re-checked to make sure the battery was in correctly and the back was on securely.

So, I started tapping the back of the device all over the place (while it was on) to see where on the device the impact was having an effect. Sure enough, as I tapped fairly hard on the top part of the phone near the camera lens, the device reset again! So, I then pulled the back cover off, exposing the battery while the device was still on. I held the battery in place firmly with my right hand and starting tapping all over the place (including the top) with my left. NOTHING happened. So, I believe that the top part of the battery pops loose just enough when I plop it down on the desk to cause the Bold to lose power for just a second and reboot. I tested like 5 times while holding the battery in firmly with the case back off and it NEVER happened.

In any event, it may be a bad fake-leather case back, or maybe the mold where the battery lies got messed-up on my unit during production. So, I took a small piece of fairly thick gauze pad from our first-aid kit here at work and I cut it to be about 1/2" by 1/2" - and I placed it towards the top of the battery just below the camera lens. I carefully put the fake-leather case back on the device, and let the phone start up. Then, I put the phone down on the desk "as normal" like I did when this was first happening, and EUREKA...it DIDN'T re-boot!! I tried it like 10 more times, "dropping" it hard (not hard enough to hurt the device of course) and also placing it down like normal - and it NEVER rebooted again! So, that little extra padding was all the battery needed to give it that extra bit of pressure to keep it in place when the back of the case is attached.

In short, this is obviously some sort of slight defect with my case molding or my fake-leather case back. Am I going to ship it back to Canada ASAP to have it replaced? Probably not. I think a 1/2"-square piece of that foam double sided tape attached to the inside of the case-back right where it would meet the top of the battery will do the trick (like many other phones and electrical devices have small pieces of foam glued to the case back to ensure there is enough pressure on the battery to help keep it in place against the battery cover when closed). Is it ideal? No - but it is safe and will prevent me from the very big hassle of sending this back up north and waiting who knows how long for a replacement.

Joy!!
Old 08-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
Outrigger
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820

try putting a piece of hard paper between the battery and the cover to make sure its secured. The battery might be loose from what you're describing.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #12
M3ta

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonHDD View Post
The Bold is buggy, and there are various problems associated with it. I's suggest calling Rogers or wherever you got it and discuss it with them.
Mine isn't buggy, it's working fine.
Is YOUR Bold buggy? oh wait, you don't have one, you're just talking hearsay.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
M3ta

Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_jared88 View Post
not somehow loose and loosing contact.
I think you mean "loseloose.com".
Old 08-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #14
xkon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700R

mine was doing this as well, with .126 installed. i narrowed it down to the wifi, and the 'interaccesspoint handoff' option in wifi settings - turned that off and it hasnt rebooted once since. Did lock up yesterday, but it came back
Old 08-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #15
dr_jared88
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ta View Post
I think you mean "loseloose.com".
simple typo

Last edited by dr_jared88; 08-27-2008 at 05:07 PM..
Old 08-27-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
controlled
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 23230BDD
Carrier: rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkon View Post
mine was doing this as well, with .126 installed. i narrowed it down to the wifi, and the 'interaccesspoint handoff' option in wifi settings - turned that off and it hasnt rebooted once since. Did lock up yesterday, but it came back

How did you narrow it down to wifi
Old 08-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #17
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

I understand not wanting to ship it back but this is why most are waiting till they can get it at a local shop. As for "Mickey Mousing" a brand new phone... You are essentially throwing away money. Who's to say that it's not a problem that will get progressively worse, to the point your trick won't work? I would send it back and get a replacement so you don't have to deal with more issues in the future.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #18
InnerGeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

Reminds me of the old Nintendo systems. Take out the cartridge, blow the dust off the connectors, bang cartridge against head three times, insert cartridge into slot, press down and use another cartridge to wedge it, turn on system, play.

Ahhh the memories...
Old 09-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #19
leoc

Carrier: Vodafone UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkon View Post
I'm having the exact same rebooting problem with this option off from the start. Done the same tests - tapping the phone with/without strong pressure on the battery and got the same results: when extra pressure is made on the battery the device does not boot. It seems this is some kind of manufacturing problem.

I got it from Vodafone UK a couple days ago and will stop by at the store tomorrow to get a replacement. Like someone else pointed out, it's simply a lot of money to pay for something that needs a piece of tape to work properly...

Anyway, thanks a lot for the discussion (and for Google for leading me here).
Old 09-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #20
JvKintheUSA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamzeit View Post
Guys - not sure what is going on here. I have a Bold from Rogers with the "125" software release. it is unlocked on AT&T and was working like a charm for the first hour - and now all of a sudden it just keeps re-booting itself for NO reason. I have installed NO 3rd party software - nothing. All I did was sync to my BES (which worked fine) and that was it. I have barely used the thing - went to Google.com once and then closed the browser. It just rebooted again and I have 29.9 MB memory free. So far, I think it happens a certain period of time after I "lock the KB"...which I set to be the default of the left convenience key.

HELP!! This device rocks...and I paid through nose to get it here....tell me I am missing something - -please? I don't want to go through the hassel of returning to Canada and getting a new one!

Thanks in advance!
Loose battery perhaps? Make sure the battery can't move. Try securing it with a piece of tape or business card. The device will reset itself each time you bump it when the battery is not secured properly.
Closed Thread