Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #21
pongee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: 2559B117
Carrier: Maxis

Please Login to Remove!

My info from inside Maxis is that they are "going to launch on 20th Sept". Not exactly sure what this means, but I am not surprised about the typical logistics issues you've described.

Please keep us in the loop if you hear anything further.

Cheers,

P.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:46 PM   #22
jaui
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Celcom

thanks for the information...

really don't understand why they can't just update their customers on the specifics on their websites. then they wouldn't need to deal with calls from angry customers who have been waiting for this phone for a long time!

enough of this "going to launch" "product launch" bullshit... they should just post updates about the arrival date and also post apologies to their customers for incorrectly given information.

logistically, both mobile carriers aren't as seasoned as overseas carriers (like Telstra and Optus) when dealing with phone sales. at least with Telstra and Optus in Australia, they deal with phone packages and phones are bundled with contracts so people get new phones every 1 or 2 years (depending on their contracts). here, we are forced to buy new phones outright if we want in IN ADDITION to paying for our bills. All this boils down to the fact that both Celcom and Maxis don't have experience with phone launches and dealing with customers.

I just want to get my hands on the Bold!! argh.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #23
pongee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Jaui,

Despite the pallava that is on-going with the Bold, I don't think that our Celco's are as incompetent as you make out. You only have to read thru some of the rants on this forum to learn of the despair faced by users of various US, European and even Australian Celco's.

Personally I prefer the Malaysian celco model, with none of this silly phone locking nonsense. This way you have freedom to move as you wish, without having to buy yourself out of a contract should your current celco turn sh*tty.

Yes, you do pay more up front, but nothing is for free and you can be absolutely sure that the bean counters have accrued for the cost of the device in your contract. Subsidized in this case is a misleading word, as these people operate a business, not a charity.

On on your first and last points, I agree wholeheartedly - be transparent, keep us up to date and give us the darn Bold already

Cheers,

P.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:05 AM   #24
gfunk11
Thumbs Must Hurt

Couldn't agree more with you... they must be transparent!!! what the heck is going on? Singapore's launched theirs... SingTel, StarHUb, M1, etc. All are able to buy theirs NOW!!! It's around SGD$998 or so for the set... not bad I would say!!!

Anyone itching for the BOLD, just take a flight on JetStar, AirAsia, FireFly, MAS, Singapore Air, or by bus, Aeroline, Airebus, etc... and go get one from there... may be worth it considering the shadow game of both Celcom & Maxis... I'm just out right pissed right about now!!! I WANT MY BOLD!!!

They should at least keep true to their word that they'll contact us once it is ready for pick-up, else... SOMEBODY's GONNA GET A HURT REAL BAD!!!

Cheers Fellas!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #25
pongee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Lightbulb

Gfunk11,

That's great news that it's already on sale in SG - God willing I will be there next week. Even though it works out to about RM250 more than Maxis, at least I don't have to wait! Only issue with SG is the warranty of course. But to heck with that!!

Let's keep the status updates going.

Cheers,

P.

PS: Some enterprising Singaporean is selling local SG sets on Malaysian eBay at a RM1500 premium. I can wait another week.

Last edited by pongee; 09-16-2008 at 08:49 PM..
Old 09-18-2008, 05:21 AM   #26
Ikurtmal
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9K
PIN: 25587317
Carrier: Celcom MY

Its same goes to me. My previous device (8707v) was stolen by the culprit (snatch theft) last 2 week, so I just make a prebooked for this new model through their website and Careline. From what i understand we should get this new model on 15 Sept.

So since that, I tried to make me more patient and in the early morning on 15Sept, I called the CELCOM Careline and asked them, what the status of delivery and sadly their staffs did'nt know anythings.

Just now I was called and email them again, but what I can say it was totally disapointed with their promissed.

They must keep us update with the latest status!!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:56 AM   #27
jaui
Thumbs Must Hurt

yeah, sorry about the complaining... you do make some good points about overseas celcos... i guess i was just a bit frustrated with celcom and the way they deal with certain things (i had a big issue with their celcom broadband as well), so got a bit frustrated.
plus, coming from australia, i'm used to the system over there, cos even though you pay a little bit more, you do get a new phone every contract you sign, plus it's actually not much of a hassle to get out of a contract over there (pretty much just paying the remainder on the phone). Also (and it might be the way the packages are advertised over there), but the monthly charges are given back to you in way of minutes. so for example, if you're on a $50 plan, you get $50 worth of calls and sms so no extra charges and it's pretty flexible.

i just remember when i was on the celcom minutes plan and there was no flexibility in the sense that if i made more sms's that month, the leftover minutes won't cover it and the leftover minutes won't be rolled over either. I'm happy with their new executive plan though, at least i get discounts! haha...

now just waiting for the darned phone call from them about the bold. i've even jumped the gun and ordered the bodyguardz kit for it online... looks like the best option for a skin without adding any bulk or changing the look of the phone and for US$25 (plus shipping) you get 2 sets
Old 09-19-2008, 01:20 AM   #28
pongee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hey Jaui,

Frankly looks like there's no perfect celco. Just FYI, my carrier gives the kind of flexibility you refer to i.e. monthly commitment can be used for voice, sms, data, whatever. Not trying to be a salesman for them, but I think Celcom is a bit unfair that way.

Whoever it is, I hope the darn Bolds turn up soon. Apparently in SG selling for approx SGD1200 (= RM2,900 ) in lucky plaza. I may be very tempted next week.

Cheers,

P.

PS: That BodyGuardz thing looks like good idea.

Last edited by pongee; 09-19-2008 at 01:37 AM..
Old 09-19-2008, 02:22 AM   #29
pongee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Looks like my source was right about Maxis 20th release date. Just received collection email. They will begin selling to the public after the 25th.

Looks like I have a good reason to come into the office then

Cheers,

P.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:32 AM   #30
jaui
Thumbs Must Hurt

omg! i'm so excited, i'm so going to be there tomorrow morning to pick up the phone...

just checked with celcom and they don't have a special for celcom customers and no exact date as to when the phone is available... so maxis it is! *squeals with joy*

haha.. i'm such a freak.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:35 AM   #31
jaui
Thumbs Must Hurt

btw, pongee... what carrier are you with? Maxis or another one? I looked at the Maxis packages and the blackberry data subscription is about rm50 more expensive than Celcom... and i'm relatively happy with the executive plans that celcom have.

just hope that they design a minutes package that has sms included as a bundle instead of separating the two.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:43 AM   #32
pongee
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm with Maxis and will be on BES, which thankfully the company funds.

As for the BIS packages, I'm not so sure - they seem to have some new package called BIS lite or somesuch. Best check it out when you go tomorrow.

I'm currently on the Value 80 package - basically RM80 is my minimum monthly commitment and that covers everything under the sun including sms, mms, data, etc, etc. but excluding BIS/BES subscription. Of course extra have to pay la...

Cheers,

P.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:50 AM   #33
jaui
Thumbs Must Hurt

ah.. well, i think Celcom is still cheaper than Maxis when it comes to the BIS unlimited package... anyway, i think it only makes about a rm10-20 difference every month...

i wonder if the connection is good enough to support skype on blackberry (there is something like that, right?)
Old 09-19-2008, 02:55 AM   #34
pongee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah, Celcom has always been cheaper for the BIS package I think. Not sure about Skype, but Maxis 3G kinda sucks. I think for 3G Celcom is better.

Cheers,

P.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:59 AM   #35
gfunk11
Thumbs Must Hurt

GOOD NEWS!!! I've got my BOLD TODAY!!! YAHOO!!!!

Was among the selected 30 Maxis customers to attend today's launch!!! We're the only few to get their hands on it today!!! KUDOS TO MAXIS for making this a reality!!!

Price is RM2,199. What you get:

1. Leather Sleeve (similar to that of the Curve) instead of the Holster that most people got. Other accessories are similar to other Bold releases.

However, for the launch today, the 30 of us were treated with the 2nd item freebie, other than the skin of course

Freebie #1: BlackBerry Bold Skin (Black)
Freebie #2: BlackBerry Bold In-Car Charger

Great Device all around!!!! I'm loving it. WORTH THE BUY 'cause we got it before most peeps in Malaysia and they threw in 2 freebies!!! What a deal! What better, if you plan on signing-up for Value Plan 150, you'll be able to buy the BOLD @ RM1,899. How about that!! Of course, 2 year contract folks. That's RM300 cheaper than retail.

Anyhow, the launch should start tomorrow and it's anticipated there will be many folks there. There was a crowd at Maxis Centre KLCC with people trying to buy it today, but were turned away! So, if you plan on getting one, suggest you head down to your Maxis Centre REALLY EARLY!!! Its' worth the effort!!!

Ok fellas, all the best & let's show off our BOLD AND BE PROUD!!!

Cheers!
Old 09-19-2008, 05:22 AM   #36
jaui
Thumbs Must Hurt

Celcom has also started selling the Bold today! Just got mine from the Blue Cube in Pavilion. They have 200 in stock for the customers who have pre-booked. According to them, I was the 3rd customer in the store for the Bold. No freebies like Maxis, but it was RM1,999 (under the corp plan).

*giggling like a little girl*

yay!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #37
lostangel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunk11 View Post
GOOD NEWS!!! I've got my BOLD TODAY!!! YAHOO!!!!

Was among the selected 30 Maxis customers to attend today's launch!!! We're the only few to get their hands on it today!!! KUDOS TO MAXIS for making this a reality!!!

Price is RM2,199. What you get:

1. Leather Sleeve (similar to that of the Curve) instead of the Holster that most people got. Other accessories are similar to other Bold releases.

However, for the launch today, the 30 of us were treated with the 2nd item freebie, other than the skin of course

Freebie #1: BlackBerry Bold Skin (Black)
Freebie #2: BlackBerry Bold In-Car Charger

Great Device all around!!!! I'm loving it. WORTH THE BUY 'cause we got it before most peeps in Malaysia and they threw in 2 freebies!!! What a deal! What better, if you plan on signing-up for Value Plan 150, you'll be able to buy the BOLD @ RM1,899. How about that!! Of course, 2 year contract folks. That's RM300 cheaper than retail.

Anyhow, the launch should start tomorrow and it's anticipated there will be many folks there. There was a crowd at Maxis Centre KLCC with people trying to buy it today, but were turned away! So, if you plan on getting one, suggest you head down to your Maxis Centre REALLY EARLY!!! Its' worth the effort!!!

Ok fellas, all the best & let's show off our BOLD AND BE PROUD!!!

Cheers!

Same here ! I was there too today at the Maxis centre in KLCC with the other 29 invitees...

Just completed my enterprise activation with my server in the US, and my Bold is now 100% functional. I absolutely love how now all my Office dox are downloading really fast ( Curve on EDGE was really painful at times ) and browsing is smooth as silk....but the screen resolution....DAMN !!! It is truly a sight to behold...beautiful, beautiful photo's and pictures, not to mention very crisp and clear call quality, both on speakerphone and phone, solid audio, some great ringtones by The Police drummer, Stewart Copeland...

Man, I can go on and on and on....

Old 09-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #38
gfunk11
Thumbs Must Hurt

Bro, you were there? Hehehe... perhaps we bumped into eachother. hehehe... anyhow, good to know ur BOLD's kickin' & rockin'! I'm lovin every second of it!!! hahahaha.... what a great device... speed, screen, tunes... all so wonderful! hehehehe.... :D

Cheers!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #39
jaui
Thumbs Must Hurt

i'm going to join the geek parade. I LOVE THE BOLD.

Celcom customers will find out in the next week or so whether they can get their Bold or not from Pavilion. Just remember that to get the 1999 package, you'll have to change your plan to a "business" plan (not a business contract, but just a plan). It is not different from the executive plan... it's just called something different. pretty much just a formality so that they can give you a cheaper price.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:14 PM   #40
gfunk11
Thumbs Must Hurt

Bro,

Does the business plan mean you've to sign-up for BES? Or can you sign-up with BIS?

What are the rate differences with the business plan? Normal BIS on CELCOM is RM98 i think......

Just wanted to know if there's a difference. If I plan to switch to CELCOM. But so far, my BOLD on MAXIS rocks... hope it stays that way!!!

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaui View Post
i'm going to join the geek parade. I LOVE THE BOLD.

Celcom customers will find out in the next week or so whether they can get their Bold or not from Pavilion. Just remember that to get the 1999 package, you'll have to change your plan to a "business" plan (not a business contract, but just a plan). It is not different from the executive plan... it's just called something different. pretty much just a formality so that they can give you a cheaper price.
Closed Thread