BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 09:12 AM   #1
bb4lfe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Default Message for RIM...ringtone exception petition...

Please Login to Remove!

For those of us that have the 7130e, 8700x or 7100i, we are using OS 4.1

With the new OS, there is a new feature that allows you to setup different ringtones for different contacts.

The only problem is that when you switch profiles, to say "vibrate" the exception still occurs, when you might not want it.

This petition is so that with the next update, RIM will fix this problem so that when you switch profiles, the exception is turned off until you go back to the profile setup for that exception...

I think that if everyone signed this, even if you dont have 4.1 yet, when your 4.1 upgrade comes out, maybe they will have this fixed

Thanks all!! I know as a community we can do it, and RIM will see it.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:55 AM   #2
mikej5780
Thumbs Must Hurt

Edit your exception and take a look at the "Use Profile" field. You should be able to set it so that exception is only used if you are using say the "normal" profile.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:06 AM   #3
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej5780
Edit your exception and take a look at the "Use Profile" field. You should be able to set it so that exception is only used if you are using say the "normal" profile.
Sorry, that will not work. As stated in the 1st post all exceptions will continue regardless of the active profile. Check the 7100 thread and you will find the profile exceptions.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:17 AM   #4
bb4lfe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej5780
yep, this wont work. Thats why this petition would be great, if we get some signatures! It only takes a second, and RIM would then fix this, as I find the exception setting useless without this feature.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
rcbjr

Model: 8700

I believe that this problem only exists when you create an exception from the contact list. When I created an exception there it assigned Normal to the profile to use, and I couldn't change it. I noticed that if I created the exception from the "New Exception" menu option in Profiles, I could change the "Use Profile" Option to any of the profiles. I set all of mine to Active. Now all my exptions work as needed. Vibe only when I set my Profile to Vibrate.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 12-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #6
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbjr
I believe that this problem only exists when you create an exception from the contact list. When I created an exception there it assigned Normal to the profile to use, and I couldn't change it. I noticed that if I created the exception from the "New Exception" menu option in Profiles, I could change the "Use Profile" Option to any of the profiles. I set all of mine to Active. Now all my exptions work as needed. Vibe only when I set my Profile to Vibrate.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Again, not true. I created an exception for my spouse that used the Normal profile using the New Exception menu. I set a specific ring tone for all of her calls. When I switch to Vibrate her calls still ring with the specific tone while all other calls vibrate.

Go back again and check your settings.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:30 PM   #7
rcbjr

Default Change Use Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
Again, not true. I created an exception for my spouse that used the Normal profile using the New Exception menu. I set a specific ring tone for all of her calls. When I switch to Vibrate her calls still ring with the specific tone while all other calls vibrate.

Go back again and check your settings.
---

Try Changing "Use Profile" from "Normal" to "Active Profile". This way when you change to Vibrate. The exception will use the Vibrate settings. When the Use Profile is set to Normal, the exception will always use the Normal settings.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 12-19-2005, 01:34 PM   #8
whsbuss

Quote:
---

Try Changing "Use Profile" from "Normal" to "Active Profile". This way when you change to Vibrate. The exception will use the Vibrate settings. When the Use Profile is set to Normal, the exception will always use the Normal settings.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Sorry, tried that too. Its not what you think. Exceptions, as long as they are checked, will carry thru all profiles when active with the exception of the Off profile (as stated in the 7130 user guide).

Give us the exact setup you used with examples. Many of us have tried multiple ways to configure the exceptions without success.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:45 PM   #9
bb4lfe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
---

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Yes, exact steps would help a great deal. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2005, 01:55 PM   #10
rcbjr

OK, I have an 8700 and here is what I did. From the Profiles open the menu, select New Exception, enter exception name, open Menu, select add contact, select contact, roll to Use Profile field and make sure that Active Profile is the current option, if not change option to Active, roll to the Custom Ringtone field and select the tone to use, then SAVE the changes. Now when Vibrate is the active profile all that happens when a call from that contact comes in is that my BB just vibrates, no Ringtone. I don't know why yours doesn't work this way. May be related to the 7130 but My 8700 works the way I expext it to when exceptions are created this way.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 12-19-2005, 02:02 PM   #11
bb4lfe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
OK, I have an 8700 and here is what I did. From the Profiles open the menu, select New Exception, enter exception name, open Menu, select add contact, select contact, roll to Use Profile field and make sure that Active Profile is the current option, if not change option to Active, roll to the Custom Ringtone field and select the tone to use, then SAVE the changes. Now when Vibrate is the active profile all that happens when a call from that contact comes in is that my BB just vibrates, no Ringtone. I don't know why yours doesn't work this way. May be related to the 7130 but My 8700 works the way I expext it to when exceptions are created this way.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
As soon as I can get to another phone, I am going to try this. I am 99% sure I did already, but will try it again.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:03 PM   #12
bb4lfe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Now, what happens, lets say for example, if you select your "normal" profile. Lets say you have an exception for "john" setup so that when he calls, a seperate ringtone plays. Now, if you change your profile to normal, and have say one of the built in ringtones for normal, does the built in tone ring, or does john's tone ring?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:07 PM   #13
rcbjr

It plays the ringtone that I have assigned to the contact exception, at the volume set in Normal. It appears to use all the settings of the Active Profile except the designated Ringtone.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 12-20-2005, 08:42 AM   #14
bb4lfe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hmm this does seem to work, but only when going from normal to vibrate to me. It will not work if I go from normal to lets say a profile i created, "work". Have to figure that out still. But its progress!! Thank you rcbjr for your help. lets see if i can figure out how to get it to work with all profiles.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:09 AM   #15
ryanv
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e

when i put my phone on the vibrate profile my exceptions do not ring. your all very wrong
Old 12-20-2005, 01:25 PM   #16
rcbjr

What do you mean, the do not ring? Do they not vibrate, or do they not play the exception ringtone? We are not all wrong, some have managed to get it to work at least partially correct.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 12-21-2005, 10:47 AM   #17
bb4lfe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanv
when i put my phone on the vibrate profile my exceptions do not ring. your all very wrong
This is just a blatently stupid post...
Old 12-21-2005, 01:10 PM   #18
rcbjr

bb4lfe,

Did you ever get the exceptions to work on your other profile correctly? I haven't had a chance to play around with any other profiles yet, and probably won't for awhile.

Rcbjr
Old 12-23-2005, 09:17 AM   #19
bb4lfe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
bb4lfe,

Did you ever get the exceptions to work on your other profile correctly? I haven't had a chance to play around with any other profiles yet, and probably won't for awhile.

Rcbjr
I havent had a chance either. Maybe this weekend, I can try it out.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:35 AM   #20
rcbjr

Good luck. What's the difference between your Normal Profile and your Work Profile? I might have a chance to work on this problem this weekend also. It's a little hard though. I can't work on them at work and I don't have a landline at home to test with.

Again, good luck.
Rcbjr
Closed Thread