Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
viksra

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: My Own
Exclamation Upgraded to 4.5 but failed

Please Login to Remove!

Hey. I have a BlackBerry Curve 8330 and been working on this problem for a few hours now. I started to upgrade my phone's OS after I received an e-mail from RIM saying that a new OS (version 4.5) was released. At first, I had trouble getting it (the update) to even show up in my BlackBerry Desktop Manager software's list of software/applications to be updated. When I finally got it to show up on the list, and told it to update, in the middle of the update, it said that it failed. I suspect this was due to me having another application open on my phone while trying to apply the update and forgetting to not have anything running. Anyways, the main point is that the update failed, and it told me it failed... but after checking my phone's version in the "about" section, it says "v4.5.0.77". This apparently is the latest OS that RIM released, but I see NO improvements on my phone... absolutely NOTHING has changed. Not even my phone's "messages" area which is what I was hoping would change (they said that links now show up in e-mails, color formatting, bold, italics, and even images show up). None of that stuff has showed up so far... and I don't even have the Excel/PowerPoint/Word editor that it was supposed to install on my phone. I've wiped my phone about 3 or 4 times now to see if I could wipe the OS, however, only the messages, settings, and applications go away... it won't revert back to the OS that the phone originally came with which is what I want to do so I can try reinstalling the OS again because RIM's website won't let me download the OS through the update manager unless my phone says it has an older OS on it. What I suspect, is that because the update failed, my phone THINKS it has OS 4.5 but is really running an older version, which is not allowing me to actually update it to OS 4.5. Any ideas what to do?
Old 11-26-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Try following this.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ilanguage.html
Old 11-26-2008, 11:55 PM   #3
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Welcome to the forums.

I think you're slightly confused on the OS upgrade process. If it shows 4.5.0.77, then that's what's installed on your phone. As for the HTML email, you will have to resend your service books. To do so, log into your BIS account online and click the link to send service books.

Also, by default Docs to Go is not checked to install with the OS upgrade. To get Docs to Go on your device, connect your device to Desktop Manager and select the App Loader application. Scroll to Docs to Go and put a check mark in the box, follow the steps and it will install on your device.

Also, for future reference, the wipe handheld option in security options will only wipe the data off the device. If you want to wipe the OS off of the device, you will need JL_Cmder. Check BlackBerry FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ for more info.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
viksra

zerog46:

After running the "web-based BlackBerry Device Software upgrade", the Application Loader popped up and it states "Your BlackBerry device is running the latest available software." I want to revert back to the old version of the OS and have the option to install the new version appear again in my Application Loader.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

The quickest way to do this is to disable your Internet Connection while performing the downgrade. And follow the insructions above.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:04 AM   #6
jsconyers

Here is what you're looking for. How do I downgrade the OS on my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ

Although, I don't think you really need to downgrade back to 4.3. All of the issues you stated can be easily resolved.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:06 AM   #7
viksra

I know that's what is "installed" on my phone. It claims that 4.5.0.77 is installed on my phone, however, I do not believe it is installed on my phone. I believe that because the error occurred in the middle of the installation of 4.5.0.77, that it thinks 4.5.0.77 is installed while it actually is not (new version is being displayed with the old version actually running). This may or not actually be the case.

In my Desktop Manager, there is no option for "Docs to Go" on the list, which is ALSO a part of why I suspect 4.5.0.77 did not install properly because I would definitely have selected that the first time around in which case it should show up on the list as an option to remove now.

I already know about "JL_Cmder" and I've used it twice to wipe my phone, on top of the wipe option that is available on the phone itself. I've searched the forums countless times and it led me to that tool, which was of no use for what I am trying to accomplish.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #8
viksra

jsconyers, thank you, I will try that right now and I will report back.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
jsconyers

You used the web-based OS upgrade. I have yet to use that.

I would try using the link ZeroG posted and download AND install the OS to your PC. Use JL_Cmder to wipe your device, you should be left with a 507 error indicating you don't have any OS loaded onto your blackberry.

From there, connect your device to DM and run through the installation, make sure to check all the applications you want to install, such as Docs to Go.

Be sure to do a backup before you do these steps.

Last edited by jsconyers; 11-27-2008 at 12:12 AM..
Old 11-27-2008, 02:48 AM   #10
viksra

Reporting back... thank you, I got it working.
Closed Thread