jack55
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: STORM
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Because that's what the led is for. There is nothing to do what you are asking. You can send an email to:

[email address]
John Clark, Now you know... if someone else asks, there is in fact a program that turns on the backlight when someone texts you...
Just tried "PocketDay Personal" and it works perfectly.
When some one text me, the backlight comes on, stays on for a while, it vibrates 3 times and the status light blinks until answered.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:03 AM   #42
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Old 05-14-2008, 06:38 AM   #43
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
Question? I also have BBalerts & BBlights. Will those settings mess up the one for PocketDay Personal? Should I disable BBalerts & BBlights while testing Pocketday?
I don't have either one of those apps, so I don't know. Since you have a 30 day trial of PocketDay, try it with those 2 apps and see what happens. I'd try it with one at the time, and if everything is cool, then try it with both.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:00 AM   #44
jack55

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
I don't have either one of those apps, so I don't know. Since you have a 30 day trial of PocketDay, try it with those 2 apps and see what happens. I'd try it with one at the time, and if everything is cool, then try it with both.
I found that all three work together fine. I'm a happy camper!
Old 05-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #45
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Excellent! I'm glad they are working for you.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #46
jack55

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Excellent! I'm glad they are working for you.
Thank you and everyone else who has taken the time to help me.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #47
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

This is my first time reading through this tread. The idea of the backlight coming on is a good idea. It will be especially nice with the kickstart when it is released. Have the front screen light up when a message or SMS comes in so you don't have to open the phone every time you receive a message or SMS
Old 05-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #48
jack55

I hope BBlight or BBalert that I already have comes up with the backlight feature so I don't have to spend the $20 for the PocketDay Personal. However if they don't when my 30 trial is up, I'll gladly buy it.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #49
stockbidder2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

bblight does NOT work on my blackberry 88830 Sprint phone.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #50
tateu

Model: 9000

I started playing with this idea last night, adding it into BBlight. It seems to be working for incoming SMS and incoming email to the default inbox. I am testing a version now, that will hopefully catch email to all inboxes (such as multiple email accounts that are set up on a BIS).

I have implemented SMS watching through datagram/connector.open and email watching through a folder listener. There are check boxes in the BBlight preferences to turn SMS and email watching on/off.

I will hopefully have a test version available later today.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #51
jack55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateu View Post
I started playing with this idea last night, adding it into BBlight. It seems to be working for incoming SMS and incoming email to the default inbox. I am testing a version now, that will hopefully catch email to all inboxes (such as multiple email accounts that are set up on a BIS).

I have implemented SMS watching through datagram/connector.open and email watching through a folder listener. There are check boxes in the BBlight preferences to turn SMS and email watching on/off.

I will hopefully have a test version available later today.
Hey! I really want to see that. Let me know how it goes and how to use it.

Thanks for taking the time to do it.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #52
SMF

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

tateu,

While you are looking at bblight can you look at the issue I'm having with it. I put a request in another thread - http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...e-updates.html

I would appreciate it.

SMF
Old 05-15-2008, 09:27 PM   #53
tateu

Test version is available...OTA install from your blackberry browser:
http://www.tateu.net/software/bb.php?f=bblight

If you are installing over an old version, you will need to reboot.

To use:

Navigate to the BBLight Icon and run the program.

To have the program launch automatically every time your blackberry turns on, select "Activate on Startup."

Poll interval is how often the program checks to see if it should keep the backlight "Always On." Set this to something less than your device's backlight timeout. My device's backlight timeout is 30 seconds, so I set the Poll Interval to 24000 (milliseconds).

To keep the backlight "Always On When" ... check the appropriate box (Active, Out of Holster, or External Power/Charging).

To have the backlight turn on when an SMS or email is received, check the appropriate box.

To have the backlight turn on at a specific time of day, check the appropriate box, set the time and duration that the backlight should stay on.

Once you are done setting the options, press the menu key and choose "Save." This should save your options and activate BBLight.

If you want BBlight to be actively running, make sure it says "Active" at the top and press the menu key and choose "Close." This will leave BBlight running in the background.

If you want to turn BBlight off, press the menu button and choose "Exit." This closes all monitoring functions and exits BBLight.

UPDATE to Instructions:
And the first time that BBLight tries to turn on your backlight you will receive a notification from your device that BBLight is trying to change system settings (turning on the light). In order for BBLight to function, you have to allow this. Choose "do not ask again" and press Yes to allow. The message will appear twice. Allow it for both. I would recommend that the first time you run BBlight, turn on the "Out of Holster" option, then choose "Save" from the menu. This should immediately bring up the change system settings notification. Once that is done, you can turn off the "Out of Holster" option and save the settings again.

Last edited by tateu; 05-15-2008 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add some important instructions
Old 05-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #54
jack55

Wow! Cool! Did you do this program tateu?
Couple questions before I try this.
Quote:
If you are installing over an old version, you will need to reboot.
Should I just delete BBlightfirst and start from scratch? or is this just an addition/update for it?
Should I disable PocketDay Personal so I can test BBlight?

Last edited by jack55; 05-15-2008 at 10:55 PM..
Old 05-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #55
tateu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
Wow! Cool! Did you do this program tateu?
Should I just delete BBlightfirst and start from scratch?
Should I disable PocketDay Personal so I can test BBlight?
Like all of the BBTools suite (BBWeather, BBCorrector, etc.), BBLight was written by Chris Miles atleast 3 or 4 years ago and released as Open Source software.

Because of this forum thread of yours, I rearranged the options menu, added the SMS and email monitoring functionality and changed the way the "Out of Holster" and "External Power" options work. In fact, the "Out of Holster" and "External Power" options never worked for me, so that is why I changed them.

Installing over the old version should work fine, it did for me. You might be forced to do a reboot after uninstalling it anyway.

I'm not sure about disabling PocketDay but it would make sense to disable it while testing BBLight, you would never know which app was actually controlling the backlight.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #56
jack55

Quote:
Like all of the BBTools suite (BBWeather, BBCorrector, etc.), BBLight was written by Chris Miles atleast 3 or 4 years ago and released as Open Source software.

Because of this forum thread of yours, I rearranged the options menu, added the SMS and email monitoring functionality and changed the way the "Out of Holster" and "External Power" options work. In fact, the "Out of Holster" and "External Power" options never worked for me, so that is why I changed them.

Installing over the old version should work fine, it did for me. You might be forced to do a reboot after uninstalling it anyway.

I'm not sure about disabling PocketDay but it would make sense to disable it while testing BBLight, you would never know which app was actually controlling the backlight.
Fast reply!
Sounds great! I'll try it now. Your pretty talented.
Last question, I downloaded the BBLight.jad file to my computer. Can I just hook up my BB via usb / desktop manager / applications or should use the BB OTA method?
Old 05-15-2008, 11:21 PM   #57
tateu

No, you cannot use a jad file for installing through the desktop. You can use the jad file only through OTA or you need a cod and an alx file to install from the desktop, like this:

http://www.tateu.net/software/bb.php?f=bblightdt
Old 05-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #58
jack55

Ok, I OTA the BBLight.jad file and rebooted.
Then when I clicked on the bblight icon, I got this message:

Error starting bblight: Class
'org.bblight.BBLightOptions
$BBLightOptionsData' multiply
defined
Old 05-15-2008, 11:57 PM   #59
tateu

Then I guess you need to uninstall first. Maybe it left the old and new versions installed. I would go to Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications -> Modules (Menu Item) and delete anything that says BBLight. Then go to Applications and delete anything that says BBLight, then reboot, then install again.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #60
jack55

Quote:
Then I guess you need to uninstall first. Maybe it left the old and new versions installed. I would go to Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications -> Modules (Menu Item) and delete anything that says BBLight. Then go to Applications and delete anything that says BBLight, then reboot, then install again.
Worked like a charm! You Da Man!

Last edited by jack55; 05-16-2008 at 04:52 AM..
Closed Thread