Old 01-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #21
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMobile

Please Login to Remove!

Christopher and DietCoke, you can download BeFTP 0.92 from

http://www.beiks.com/download/BeFTPB.jad

You will have to type the full URL, sorry.

This version has both setting persistency across multiple sessions and selectable connection method.

As you may be aware, changing the connection method AFTER one has been attempted usually requires deleting the application for the device, rebooting and re-installing it, then setting the desired method and only then trying.

Otherwise the BlackBerry's "split pipe" security policy usually kicks in and blocks outgoing connection, even if the selected method is the appropriate one.

This version is guaranteed to change before making it an official release.

Deleting it may cause our LexSpell spelling checker (with which it currently shares program modules) to stop working and require re-installing it.
The opposite also applies, but I do not anticipate having that problem.
"A pocket full of knowledge"
Old 01-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #22
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolev View Post
At the time being, you can try and see if changing the password to anonymous@ would make any difference.
No, doesn't help - I tried all those things and know that the two servers I'm testing against (private, sorry) can accept without an '@' in there, I'm root for both servers and run them.

Quote:
What is more interesting is that the socket connection is apparently working on GPS/BIS. I take it this does not include BES, right?
GPS/BIS? That's not a valid combination of acronyms. I don't have/use BES, so cannot comment on that particular functionality.

Quote:
And, for those of you who may have better understanding, are BES and BIS two alternative methods of achieving TCP connectivity?
BIS-B: device -> carrier -> RIM -> Internet
BES: device -> carrier -> corporate network -> Internet
TCP: device -> carrier -> Internet (using APN)
Direct: device -> Internet

Direct only works (currently) with Wifi devices and the BB Browser, and the BB Browser must be set to 'Wifi'). I do believe there's a special connection string you can specify in the code to open a direct Wifi connection from an application, I've seen a few 3rd party apps start to add this functionality. See the programmers sub-forum for the details, there's a thread on it over there.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #23
wawasteele
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile US
Default .92 Still freezes my BB

Am I the only one reporting the freezing problem? Anyway, version 0.92 just did it too.

Wanda
Old 01-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #24
edreese7395

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Download stops at completion

When I downloaded the ASV full bible it stopped at 1883KB. I had to exit out of the BeFTP and renter to download the index file. The index file indicated a succesfull download and I did not need to exit the program. I am using the version 0.92 for the BeFTP.

The same thing just happened when I downloaded the KJV full download. It stopped at 1883KB and I had to exit out of the BeFTP and renter to download the index file. The index file indicated a succesfull download and I did not need to exit the program.

Yesterday when I used version 0.91 my Blackberry would freeze and I needed to do a reset to recover. 0.92 I only need to exit the program and reenter (no freeze or reset)

I am using BIS with AT&T on a Blackberry Curve 8300.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 AM   #25
azstar

Model: 8130
Carrier: Alltel

I've had issues with connection to the BeFTP. When I first downloaded it , I tried many times over the course of several hours and every time got an "Unable to connect with FTP server" message. Then suddenly it just started working, for about an hour and a half. I was able to download books flawlessly, then suddenly I tried again and failed.

All day yesterday every attempt to connect failed.

Then, this morning, out of the blue, it worked again, for about 5 hours, I was able to connect, download, delete, download again no problem. Then I did a battery pull and once again started getting the unable to connect message.

This afternoon I deleted everything, BeFTP, Noah, Bibles, and folders and rebooted my BB, downloaded the BeFTP 0.91 again and the new version of Noah. My first 3 tries to connect failed, then on try # 4 it connected and for the last several hours has worked fine.

Does anyone know why sometimes it connects and sometimes it fails? All during this time, I've had plenty of bars of signal, used my browser and lots of 3rd party apps without problems. I have not messed with any settings, it just randomly works, then doesn't. Any insight or suggestions are welcome.

Here's my BB details: 8130 Pearl, OS 4.3.0.81, BIS, Alltel, CDMA

UPDATE:
Well I decided to delete my old version of Viigo which required my BB to restart, then downloaded the newest version of Viigo and tried BeFTP again and once again I'm unable to connect. It seems that restarts or battery pulls seem to mess it up every time. I'll post again when it's working grrrrrrr! But I'll check back in the mean time for suggestions.

Last edited by azstar; 01-31-2008 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: added update
Old 01-31-2008, 02:29 AM   #26
Spankypoo

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMo

Dang slick -- works well for me.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:55 AM   #27
kb8tfe

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell
Default BIS, TCP - No Luck. BES, connecting...

I haave version 0.92. When I try BIS or TCP, it comes back right away and says that it can not connect. When I try BES, it says connecting, but that is as far as it gets.
I know I have my TCP set up correctly because I use JiveSlide all the time which requires it.
I have a BES connection with AT&T on an 8310.

Oh, wait, enventually, I got the folder icon with two dots. At the top of the screen there is a "/"

Doesn't seem to go anywhere from there, and doesn't indicate that it is trying to.

I am using the port setting of 21, and a login and password of anonyous.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:22 PM   #28
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tfe View Post
I haave version 0.92. When I try BIS or TCP, it comes back right away and says that it can not connect. When I try BES, it says connecting, but that is as far as it gets.
I know I have my TCP set up correctly because I use JiveSlide all the time which requires it.
I have a BES connection with AT&T on an 8310.

Oh, wait, enventually, I got the folder icon with two dots. At the top of the screen there is a "/"

Doesn't seem to go anywhere from there, and doesn't indicate that it is trying to.

I am using the port setting of 21, and a login and password of anonyous.
First thing off, every time you change the connection method you should actually delete the program, restart the device, download it again, set the new connetion method and ONLY THEN you have a shoot at actually trying it.
Don't blame us, we're just the messengers.
Google for "BlackBerry split pipe" policy for explanation.

Second, once you got connected, was it to our own server or another one?

Unfortunately, I have no explanation yet on to why it would sometimes connect and other times not.

- bobby
Old 01-31-2008, 01:50 PM   #29
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolev View Post
First thing off, every time you change the connection method you should actually delete the program, restart the device, download it again, set the new connetion method and ONLY THEN you have a shoot at actually trying it.
Don't blame us, we're just the messengers.
Google for "BlackBerry split pipe" policy for explanation.
I'm not commenting on the split-pipe specifically, but other applications (JiveTalk, FreeRange Reader, and EMV to name names) handle switching the connection method with a dropdown inside their app, no deletion and reinstallation necessary for any of them at all. I suspect your team is using a different coding method than others, they know how to make this work without so much user shenanigans (which is unacceptable, sorry).
Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 PM   #30
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am rather sure this does not depend on the implementation.

RIM's security model is such that if you try using different methods you may end up locked.

The proper way to address that issue is to choose the right connection model from the start.

I strongly suspect that other applications have it selectable - as we do - as a troubleshooting tool and not as a mean of dynamically configurable functional setting.

Unless the split pipe policy is explicitly turned off, all BlackBerries still default to it, which means it would still result in a connection lockout for the application trying to connect via different methods.

I'd be more than glad to be proven wrong as I totally agree it is not at all convenient to have to delete the whole application before you can change a single setting.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:13 PM   #31
camaro322hp

Model: 9100
Carrier: AT&T

T-Mobile BIS

Works fine connecting to beiks.com and my personal FTP server.

There are either 2 messageboxes that say "Could not connect to the FTP server", or it is not in focus when displayed. I have to click the pearl 2x to get it to go away.

Please consider changing the "password" text entry area to a true password style entry, i.e. - no suretype, letters hidden, etc... This bit me the first time i typed in my password for my personal FTP server, and the suretype capitalized the first letter in the password.

Nice product.

99 Z28 M6 black
04 GSX-R750 blue/white
Old 01-31-2008, 09:48 PM   #32
azstar

Model: 8130
Carrier: Alltel

I have had fairly successful connections lately and sort of figured out a pattern. Anything I do that makes the BB restart such as using DM to remove apps, battery pulls, deleting apps from the device which require a restart to take effect all cause me to lose my connectivity to the BeFTP server.

If I try just deleting the BeFTP, rebooting, and re-installing, I still can't connect.

However, if I delete Noah, all Bibles, BeFTP, and all related folders then start from scratch and download everything all over again, then it works again.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:21 AM   #33
multivac

Model: 8820
Carrier: ATT
Default BeFTP Report with BB 8820 on ATT

I have a BB8820 on ATT and have installed BeFTP .92

I can connect to my work FTP server, but cannot "do" anything. It display the default directory on the top bar of the BeFTP app, and a folder with two dots next to it, but none of the files stored in that directory are listed.

If I click on the folder I get nothing.

The FTP server is running on an OpenVMS V7.3-2 Alpha with VMS TCP services 5.1 installed. How can I help you debug this problem?

multivac
Old 02-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #34
Jaime

Model: 8310
Carrier: Claro Chile

Is not working for me. Trying to connect using BIS-B.

Best,
Jaime
Old 02-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #35
bhw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

I'm on Verizon with BIS on Pearl 8130. It worked fine for me to download the KJV bible files. NOthing fancy required. Just went to your FTP site through the program and downloaded to a folder of my choice. Problem is, your bible reader has no clue where the files are and I don't know how to tell it.

Also, you might want to contact Epocrates.com. They provide free medical pharmaceutical files that are very large (about 9MB) and they don't have a way to get them on the SD card on the Blackberry. They could possibly use your technology and pay for it. Just a thought. I also emailed Epocrates to tell them about your product.

Let me know if you need further endorsement from me or need specific testing other than what I've done.

Bruce
Old 02-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #36
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the feedback.

The files on our FTP site, as you may have noticed, are under Noah\4.0\ implying they are for the upcoming version 4.0 of the Noah Bible Viwer.

Currently only version 3 is publicly available and perhaps that is what you have.

If any company is interested in using our technology it is more than welcome to contact us...however as I have mentioned earlier BeFTP is a by-product of us putting our own content on media cards...and it is not our main goal to actively push that product to other parties.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #37
vivithemage
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile US

I get an error saying I cannot connect to the FTP server. So a few questions :

Does this allow me to upload files from my BB 8320? Also, I was on wifi trying this out, does that not work...do I need to have the data plan and such?

I got the BB data plan, and another issue I have is connecting to my FTP site, anytime I click a folder it just refreshes the root directory.

Last edited by vivithemage; 02-08-2008 at 02:19 PM..
Old 02-10-2008, 02:59 AM   #38
tonybli

Model: Pearl
Carrier: USSC

Works well connecting to the FTP servers I tried. However, the client will not read down long folder trees. Example it wont read past "H" or so in the old music folder. But that probably doesn't matter for the intended application. I copied over images taken from our camera that are roughly 2MB and had no problems. CDMA - Pearl 8130
Old 02-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #39
sharpie00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm on a WiFi 8320 and I have a FTP server set up on my desktop.

FTP address is my desktop's IP address.
Username: anonymous
Password: blank
Connection method is TCP

Doesn't work. Suggestions?
Old 02-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #40
Jaime

Model: 8310
Carrier: Claro Chile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/136)

Isn't work for me also. I have bis connection (no apn configured).

Best,
Jaime