Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 05:15 PM   #41
jmacias

Model: STORM
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Error

Please Login to Remove!

When i start the program i receive the message "javax.microedition.file.FileConnection" Error.

I dont know how to solve the problem. Any ideas ?

Thnxs !
Old 12-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #42
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelE View Post
for everybody who might need an OTA:
OTA tested and working, thanks!

Anyone who used my JAD files to install, first quit MiniMoni and uninstall the app, then visit the official OTA site and reinstall. Attempting to upgrade from my JAD to Axel's official JAD will result in a module conflict error, do *not* proceed.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #43
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacias View Post
When i start the program i receive the message "javax.microedition.file.FileConnection" Error.

You must have OS 4.2 or higher on your device, OS 4.1 and earlier do not provide this Java API for accessing the SD cards.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #44
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: O2

Hmm, never seen that before. I know it happens if you try to access the SD card. But on starting??

Will have to check in emulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacias View Post

Thnxs !
Old 12-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #45
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

That might have be the reason for my problem with OTA installation as I have installed all the time with the DM before. I get a similar message that there is confilct. Does that lead to the situation I had, that all application data had to be removed?

AxelE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
OTA tested and working, thanks!

Anyone who used my JAD files to install, first quit MiniMoni and uninstall the app, then visit the official OTA site and reinstall. Attempting to upgrade from my JAD to Axel's official JAD will result in a module conflict error, do *not* proceed.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #46
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
You must have OS 4.2 or higher on your device, OS 4.1 and earlier do not provide this Java API for accessing the SD cards.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:41 PM   #47
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I think I may have found a bug....

On your website your screenshots appear to be using a 240x260 screen BB (81xx)

I have this loaded on my 8320 and get the following screen:

There is a small down arrow in the lower right corner indicating more info if you scroll down (not shown on screen shot for some reason) but I can't scroll down and see the information.

Any ideas?
Old 12-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #48
rivviepop

Quote:
That might have be the reason for my problem with OTA installation as I have installed all the time with the DM before. I get a similar message that there is confilct. Does that lead to the situation I had, that all application data had to be removed?
Probably - which storage method are you using, the MIDP Store or the persistence model? In the MIDP Store the data records are tied to the app signature (based on name/module I guess?) so during an upgrade of conflicting modules the data will be lost/orphaned. An upgrade without conflicts will keep/maintain the MIDP data intact. Uninstalling the app first (as in this case) removes the MIDP Store record(s) upon uninstall cleanly.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/develop...rsistently.jsp

The bad part of persistence model is that uninstalling an app does not remove the data; in some cases that's good (i.e. you're reinstalling and want to maintain the configs) but in others it's highly undesirable (you uninstall the app and are done with it, but now you have orphaned persistence data left on the device). Also persistent data seems to be lost during a device OS upgrade, whereas with the MIDP method the data is maintained. (I have two apps that use persistence and I lose their data on every OS upgrade, booo.)
Old 12-17-2007, 03:34 AM   #49
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I have to admit that I turned off WiFi all afternoon and evening just to see what my data usage is. I've used almost 1Mb since installing this afternoon. I've had JiveTalk running and now know it uses 1.3kb every 2 minutes just when idle and not chatting. Lots of little uses for this app.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:46 AM   #50
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

You are right. The shoots are taken on a 8100. Normally in the program I check if the high is sufficient to display all information and skip then one that does not fit. In your case the battery status. I put a last empty field to fill the screen until the end, though. So this one seems to be seen only by half. That's why there is the arrow showing to scroll. But as all this fields are not focusable the scrolling doesn't work. For me it is an inconsistency in the RIM UI API... I'll have a look so may be I skip this last fill element or resize it to different high so that it fits on the screen.

AxelE

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I think I may have found a bug....

On your website your screenshots appear to be using a 240x260 screen BB (81xx)

I have this loaded on my 8320 and get the following screen:

http://webpages.charter.net/john.clark/MiniMoni8320.JPG

There is a small down arrow in the lower right corner indicating more info if you scroll down (not shown on screen shot for some reason) but I can't scroll down and see the information.

Any ideas?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:53 AM   #51
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

John,

the traffic of JiveTalf was one of the small triggers that pushed me for that program ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I have to admit that I turned off WiFi all afternoon and evening just to see what my data usage is. I've used almost 1Mb since installing this afternoon. I've had JiveTalk running and now know it uses 1.3kb every 2 minutes just when idle and not chatting. Lots of little uses for this app.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:42 AM   #52
nyubi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: whateva

AxelE can you enlighten me on how to understand MiniMoni data measurement ? on preference i select shown in kB so its mean kiloByte ?
now i have using it for 6 hours, and data show 4720 k so it's mean that i'm using 4.7 mb of data ?
fyi i'm using 100 mb blackberry data and never over that limit, but judging from your MiniMoni i'm about to break that limit in 20 days for sure, or am I miss something here ?

so on preference, monthly limit i have to put is 100000000 right ?
btw it's a good program but i'm confuse about the number of data :D
Old 12-17-2007, 05:02 AM   #53
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

The interpretation made by you is right. If there are pure numbers it does mean bytes. If a "k" is at the end it does mean kiloBytes. Haven't had a tester on a 8300 yet, I suppose. But I see no reason why it should be wrong. What kind of network you are using? EDGE? GPRS? As you are using 8300, I suppose no WLAN. And what did you do during this 6 hours with your device? Which applications were running. Just in order to estimate if these figures could be real...

Just another question: Which field shows you 4720 k. The fields above ore below the graph? Above the graph are the daily and monthly total. Below the graph are the counter of the device which have been started by the last reboot. They are not relevant for the limit ...

Yes, that's what you need to put for preferences. To be more precise it should be 100 MB * 1024 * 1024 of course... But putting the limit a little lower is more secure, as the program can not take into account the rounding done by the provider.

AxelE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyubi View Post
AxelE can you enlighten me on how to understand MiniMoni data measurement ? on preference i select shown in kB so its mean kiloByte ?
now i have using it for 6 hours, and data show 4720 k so it's mean that i'm using 4.7 mb of data ?
fyi i'm using 100 mb blackberry data and never over that limit, but judging from your MiniMoni i'm about to break that limit in 20 days for sure, or am I miss something here ?

so on preference, monthly limit i have to put is 100000000 right ?
btw it's a good program but i'm confuse about the number of data :D
Old 12-17-2007, 05:12 AM   #54
nyubi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: whateva

using email, yahoo msgr 2.0 (conference) , bb msgr, and bit of browsing using bb default browser, i guess nothing different from what i usually do everyday.

maybe i should stop using yahoo msgr 2.0 :D you pointed out that jivetalk using a little of data right ;)

the number is above the graphic taken from Today counter.

oh by the way i'm using EDGE network, is it make a difference to GPRS ?

Last edited by nyubi; 12-17-2007 at 05:16 AM..
Old 12-17-2007, 05:59 AM   #55
bjchantry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:

Just another question: Which field shows you 4720 k. The fields above ore below the graph? Above the graph are the daily and monthly total. Below the graph are the counter of the device which have been started by the last reboot. They are not relevant for the limit ...

AxelE
Axel, love the program so far but confused about this statement. You say ignore the figure below the graph for the limit, I understand what you are saying but correct me if i am wrong, what is under the graph gets added into the totals above the graph every minute, correct. If so, the only way the numbers below the graph could be bigger than those above is if it rolls into a new day without a reset, the daily figure is reset, but not the figures since reboot. Do I understand this correctly? Also, as previously mentioned, the display is not quite correct on my 8800 and I don't see the network and battery lines, and the lines below the graph are also a little broken up due to the size of display compared to the 81xx series. Great start though, thanks.

P.S. I just noticed something weird, been using for a couple hours now and the totals above the graph both read 108k, but below the graph they read In 303k and Out 78k, since this i all the same day as being installed, shouldn't the total at the top of the graphs be the sum of the two below the graphs?

P.S.S. Axel, been playing with this a while and really like it. A couple of suggestions/feature requests are:

1) I know people have asked for the ability to set the monthly reset date based on their billing cycle. I think just a full "data reset" option along with the ability to disable the default reset would be nice too. It would do two things, should someone want to reset the data mid-day or month for some reason, they would have that option and until you figure out how to do the "reset date", users could set a recurring alarm for the date of their billing cycle and do the rest themselves. This could also be handy if someone like me has an unlimited plan at home, but do a lot of traveling and therefore roaming, so I could reset it as I am leaving just so I don't get any huge data roaming surprises when I return home

2) Since you have the option to never terminate, another nice feature would be the ability to launch automatically with a reset. I know this is possible, Pocketday has this option, and then the data graphing etc would commence automatically with a rest.

Just some thoughts, but as a far as this being a "welcome to the world" programming effort, WELL DONE so far.

Last edited by bjchantry; 12-17-2007 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: More Information
Old 12-17-2007, 06:20 AM   #56
darkdragoon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 2562425C
Carrier: SmarTone-Vodafone

Nice app. BTW I cant help noticing there is an expiration date 06-30-2008. I guess good stuff never comes free.

Last edited by darkdragoon; 12-17-2007 at 06:31 PM..
Old 12-17-2007, 07:01 AM   #57
bjchantry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdragoon View Post
Nice apps.BTW I cant help noticing there is an expiration date 06-30-2008. I guess good stuff never comes free.
While I noticed this too, and everyone including me likes free apps., as far as an app. that one pays for, this would be one that I would have no issue paying a reasonable price for if you think about how much money it could save you with roaming and/or if you have a limited data plan.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:08 AM   #58
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

The difference would be that is with EDGE you got more volume in the same time

Nevertheless - It really seems a little to much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyubi View Post
using email, yahoo msgr 2.0 (conference) , bb msgr, and bit of browsing using bb default browser, i guess nothing different from what i usually do everyday.

maybe i should stop using yahoo msgr 2.0 :D you pointed out that jivetalk using a little of data right ;)

the number is above the graphic taken from Today counter.

oh by the way i'm using EDGE network, is it make a difference to GPRS ?
Old 12-17-2007, 07:30 AM   #59
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Let my try to give a short explanation:

The figures above the graph are the summarized figures for day and month. They are maintained every minute based on the differences of figures below the graph during the last minute. And yes: The ones above the graph are reseted at midnight or at month change.

The figures below might be confusing and may be I skip them for the future. The represent the counter in the API which are reset to 0 on reboot. It doesn't matter, because I always take into account the difference of the current value - the value one minute ago.

On closing the program I store the figures above the graph and the current counter values as well as time stamp, when the program was closed. So if you start it later again it takes into account all the traffic in between, if there was not a day switch in between, which causes the daily counter to reset. Or if there was a reboot what ends up in a discontinuity of the API counter. So far I should not loose nothing in between. As I stated in another post I do this saving every hour. So the maximum you might loose on a sudden reboot is the last hour.

Hope this does it more clearer and not more confusing

For 1.) I had some ideas which I might test in the coming days to solve the "billing period problem". Your idea for the full reset is worth a thought, but we have to take into account then, that the daily logbook is not representing the reality anymore.

For 2.) I tried this but until know without any effect. I set the option in the JDE to restart on reset and it works in the simulator. But it does not work on the device. I suppose because the code is not signed.

For the graphical issues on 8300 and 8800. I'll have closer look to it later. It's clear that as the height is limited I have to skip information which might not be relevant for traffic counting.

For the expiration date: It's more not to be faced with questions about early betas in one year

AxelE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjchantry View Post
Axel, love the program so far but confused about this statement. You say ignore the figure below the graph for the limit, I understand what you are saying but correct me if i am wrong, what is under the graph gets added into the totals above the graph every minute, correct. If so, the only way the numbers below the graph could be bigger than those above is if it rolls into a new day without a reset, the daily figure is reset, but not the figures since reboot. Do I understand this correctly? Also, as previously mentioned, the display is not quite correct on my 8800 and I don't see the network and battery lines, and the lines below the graph are also a little broken up due to the size of display compared to the 81xx series. Great start though, thanks.

P.S. I just noticed something weird, been using for a couple hours now and the totals above the graph both read 108k, but below the graph they read In 303k and Out 78k, since this i all the same day as being installed, shouldn't the total at the top of the graphs be the sum of the two below the graphs?

P.S.S. Axel, been playing with this a while and really like it. A couple of suggestions/feature requests are:

1) I know people have asked for the ability to set the monthly reset date based on their billing cycle. I think just a full "data reset" option along with the ability to disable the default reset would be nice too. It would do two things, should someone want to reset the data mid-day or month for some reason, they would have that option and until you figure out how to do the "reset date", users could set a recurring alarm for the date of their billing cycle and do the rest themselves. This could also be handy if someone like me has an unlimited plan at home, but do a lot of traveling and therefore roaming, so I could reset it as I am leaving just so I don't get any huge data roaming surprises when I return home

2) Since you have the option to never terminate, another nice feature would be the ability to launch automatically with a reset. I know this is possible, Pocketday has this option, and then the data graphing etc would commence automatically with a rest.

Just some thoughts, but as a far as this being a "welcome to the world" programming effort, WELL DONE so far.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #60
Pentarus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

AxelE,

I have successfully installed your app on my 8830. The app loads without any issues but I get no traffic updates... All counters stay at 0 (had the application loaded for a couple of hours and even tried to download wallpapers to generate traffic). Maybe I missed it in the previous post but are 8830 (or CDMA devices) supported?

Thanks!