mrking
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelE View Post
You may try to download the new version (0.30.0) with the opportunity to select "Show kB" in the preferences. So you might relax your eyes The max/s is shown in bytes, though, all the time. Using GPRS as me, it makes more sense.

http://www.ehnert.net/MiniMoni/MiniMoni.zip

There is second option added for the fonts to use, which still has no real function
When i download it is still version 0.26.3
Old 12-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #22
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: O2

Mike, just tried it myself and got the new one. Probably cleaning the cache of your browser?

AxelE
Old 12-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #23
mrking
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Mike, just tried it myself and got the new one. Probably cleaning the cache of your browser?

AxelE

Very nice. Thank you.

Last edited by mrking; 12-15-2007 at 05:34 PM..
Old 12-15-2007, 05:36 PM   #24
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Mike, fine. I recomment to close the program before installing the new version. Otherwise the BB will boot.

AxelE
Old 12-16-2007, 04:33 AM   #25
bjchantry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (Vodacom 8700V: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/168 UP.Link/6.3.1.12.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
sweet! I have no real need to monitor my data usage but I love me some geeky tools that...well, let me be nerdy.

Here's a JAD file for those (like me) who need OTA installs:

MiniMoni.jad
Code:
MIDlet-Name: Mini Monitor Application
MIDlet-Vendor: LexaSoft
MIDlet-Version: 0.26.3
MIDlet-Description: Small monitoring application for traffic parameters
MIDlet-Jar-Size: 0
RIM-COD-URL-1: MiniMoni.cod
RIM-COD-Size-1: 48404
RIM-COD-Module-Dependencies: net_rim_cldc,net_rim_os
MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.1
MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0
Manifest-Version: 1.0
What am I missing, I need it OTA as well, how do I install as I see no link? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #26
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Difficult for me to say ... As I'm using a device without Wifi and for that have a JDE 4.2 installed no information is there about Wifi traffic. But I'll have a look on the 4.3 JDE later on, though, it would mean to maintain two different versions - what I honestly would not like to ... But I agree, if the Wifi is included the measurement stops to make sense.
I was a bit more scientific about it and indeed, Wifi traffic is not being counted. I used the Traffic Watch feature and recorded an EDGE session of data to the BlackBerry homepage, but the same steps with Wifi enabled (either mode, T-Mobile proxy or Direct) resulted in 0 bytes recorded (cache cleared between tests, of course). This is confirmed by the graphic displaying graph lines for EDGE and no display of anything during Wifi.

Maybe there's a different network API hook you can use in SDK 4.2? The BB 8820 is an "older" device with Wifi which I would assume is SDK 4.2 in nature, but not being a BB coder I am just guessing here...

Last edited by rivviepop; 12-16-2007 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: fix bad quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #27
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjchantry View Post
What am I missing, I need it OTA as well, how do I install as I see no link? Thanks.
You must host the OTA files yourself until Axel decides he wishes to host it. You can read more at a blog entry of mine (it's also somewhere here on BBF if you search):

configuring apache for mobile browsing « rivviepop phantom

Here's a new JAD for 0.30.0

MiniMoni.jad
Code:
MIDlet-Name: Mini Monitor Application
MIDlet-Vendor: LexaSoft
MIDlet-Version: 0.30.0
MIDlet-Description: Small monitoring application for traffic parameters
MIDlet-Jar-Size: 0
RIM-COD-URL-1: MiniMoni.cod
RIM-COD-Size-1: 49488
RIM-COD-Module-Dependencies: net_rim_cldc,net_rim_os
MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.1
MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0
Manifest-Version: 1.0
Old 12-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #28
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

That are really good news.

So obviously the traffic watch was the first time of real use

I had a look in the 4.3 API yesterday evening end did not find any changes to the part of the API I use. The same for the different 4.2 versions.

Currently working on the font, what is time consuming as I have to take into account everywhere in the code. Secondly I try to find a solution to handle the "billing period problem" ...

Regards AxelE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post

I was a bit more scientific about it and indeed, Wifi traffic is not being counted. I used the Traffic Watch feature and recorded an EDGE session of data to the BlackBerry homepage, but the same steps with Wifi enabled (either mode, T-Mobile proxy or Direct) resulted in 0 bytes recorded (cache cleared between tests, of course). This is confirmed by the graphic displaying graph lines for EDGE and no display of anything during Wifi.

Maybe there's a different network API hook you can use in SDK 4.2? The BB 8820 is an "older" device with Wifi which I would assume is SDK 4.2 in nature, but not being a BB coder I am just guessing here...
Old 12-16-2007, 04:04 PM   #29
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

rivviepop

seems we wrote in parallel

For the OTA I already made a test and had a problem afterwards with my BB that causes me to delete all application data. But it might have been a problem with my JAD file.

I can use your JAD and put it together with the COD on the webserver.

Will do this in the upcoming days

AxelE
Old 12-16-2007, 04:30 PM   #30
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi all,

for everybody who might need an OTA:

http://www.ehnert.net/MiniMoni/MiniMoni.jad

I've not tested that. Please let me know if it works.

AxelE
Old 12-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #31
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Just loaded this. Nice app! It seems to me that WiFi data would be nice to have but as a separate logging. I'd want to be able to keep track of the billable data vs. the free data.

A Kudos goes out to AxelE for this app. As was stated above, the Rogers folks will be very happy with you! It'll be nice for travelling overseas, as well.

Well done! Nice UI, as well.

Last edited by John Clark; 12-16-2007 at 04:36 PM..
Old 12-16-2007, 04:41 PM   #32
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi John,

Thanks for the kudos Glad to receive so much acknowledgement for my "Hello world" application

For the WLAN... Right now I haven't found an API access to this information. Moreover: I have no opportunity to test it as I'm using a device without it... But I've put it beside on my to do list other proposals

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Just loaded this. Nice app! It seems to me that WiFi data would be nice to have but as a separate logging. I'd want to be able to keep track of the billable data vs. the free data.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #33
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I tried the OTA link and it brings me to the download page ok. I already had it loaded so I didn't download again. Looks good, though.

Last edited by John Clark; 12-16-2007 at 04:58 PM..
Old 12-16-2007, 04:55 PM   #34
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I posted the OTA link in your first post....Hope that's ok.

Also, I just rebooted and the device counter reset to 0. Is there a way to keep continuity with this?

I really don't need to keep track of my data but this app is intriguing to me. I like it.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:00 PM   #35
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

The daily and monthly totals are saved every hour in the flash. As well as the current counter status from the API. If the device is booted the totals are still there and will be used for further calculations. As the API counters are reset to 0 on boot the traffic cumulated between the last writing of the data and the moment of boot is lost. This could be avoided by two measures: Writing more often (there is a menu point "Update now", which could be used to trigger the writing), or closing the application before reboot. Because on close of the application the data is written to the flash in any case.

Hope I expressed myself understandable ...

AxelE

Quote:
What happens to the data if the device is rebooted? Is the logging data saved in the app as well as on the SD card? I guess what I'm asking is will there be continuity in the data recorded for the month if the device is rebooted?

Also, I tried the OTA link and it brings me to the download page ok. I already had it loaded so I didn't download again. Looks good, though.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #36
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Excellent! So, the most that would be lost is one hour of data counting if an "update now" or "close" is not performed. Is this written to the SD card or is it written to device memory. My other thought is how much device memory will this app use (for recording, etc.) over the course of a month? BB's have been notorious for losing memory over the course of several days and can usually be attributed to 3rd party apps.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:05 PM   #37
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for that.

Reseting the counter does'nt really harm as I explained in my previous post. If you take care closing the application right before booting you will loose no information. If not, the most you may loose is the traffic of the last hour.

So, the counter are 0. But the number on top of page should not be 0. Of course only, if between installing the apps and rebooting was a timeframe of more then one hour

BTW: I don't need to keep the track on my data volume either But for this application seemed to be a real need and so it was a good exercise for my first Java program.

Quote:
I posted the OTA link in your first post....Hope that's ok.

Also, I just rebooted and the device counter reset to 0. Is there a way to keep continuity with this?

I really don't need to keep track of my data but this app is intriguing to me. I like it.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:10 PM   #38
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Thanks. That worked great. I did an "update now" and then rebooted. The app showed the same data count on top as before the reboot.

Again, nicely done application. Will be interesting to use it for a month and see just how much data I do use.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #39
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

We better should IM... You are completaly right, the max you can use is one hour.

The information is stored in the device memory. Only if you use the function to write the logbook on SD information will be written on SD. I did not use SD for the all the data as not all devices have SD.

We can estimate to have less then 1 k for preferences and less the 1 k for the counters to be stored. This two parts are not increasing over the time. The only part that might increase is the logbook storing a record of lets say 50 bytes per day. Right now I have no purging established, but the idea is to later on delete all logbook records older then 60 days.

AxelE

Quote:
Excellent! So, the most that would be lost is one hour of data counting if an "update now" or "close" is not performed. Is this written to the SD card or is it written to device memory. My other thought is how much device memory will this app use (for recording, etc.) over the course of a month? BB's have been notorious for losing memory over the course of several days and can usually be attributed to 3rd party apps.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:12 PM   #40
AxelE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Fine to see, that it works as designed

Quote:
Thanks. That worked great. I did an "update now" and then rebooted. The app showed the same data count on top as before the reboot.

Again, nicely done application. Will be interesting to use it for a month and see just how much data I do use.
Closed Thread