BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 12:00 AM   #1
tonynt

Model: 8700c
Default BlackBerry 8700c Migration Process

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all,

On Friday I received a replacement 8700c from Cingular due to a key sticking constantly on my current 8700. I have a few questions about migrating to the new BlackBerry. It is my understanding that all I have to do is sync up my new blackberry with my current desktop software installation and the new PIN will be updated on the BES server. After this sync do I go ahead and do a restore from the backup of my old BlackBerry 8700c? In addition I have quite a few BlackBerry Messenger contacts. Is there a fast way to send my updated PIN to them or do I just need to send out all new invites to each individual user? I just want to make sure I have the correct process down so that the migration goes smoothly. Thanks ahead for any answers!

Tony
Old 01-23-2006, 12:06 AM   #2
MobileRC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

backup old unit... restore backup file to new unit... when you plug in, it will ask if you want to switch to the new pin.. say yes... in the opposite order though.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
MarvinK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular
Question

Last time I tried a backup/restore process, it didn't carry over the Messenger contacts. Did it work for you? I searched for a solution, but this thread is the closest I've found....
Old 01-04-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Considering this thread is a year old I don't know what kind of response you'll get from the original posters. If you're using the latest version of the Desktop manager 4.2.0.14 everything should backup. I've never had to start over on my messenger contacts.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
MobileRC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

yah use the switch device program and it will take your messenger contacts with it. Personally i did that but kept my old bb connected too and my messenger on my new bb didnt work even though it had them listed and when I sent them a msg it showed a D but it was never delivered to the device I was sending to. I assume its because I had both bb's with the same contact list running at the same time.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I have also wondered what happens on my messenger buddies BB's when you use the switch device wizard. Does it change my pin in their list? Never really paid that much attention....
Old 01-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
supermanfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

I have an 8100c and 8700c. I have been swapping back and forth (using swap feature in DM) and although the contact move over, they clearly don't work. I suspect that this swap process does not send my updated PIN to my contacts.

I am very interested to see if anyone figures this out.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I have swapped BB's and the messanger contacts followed although some did not work. I suspect the first time you use the new BB in messenger mode it will send a request to be added to the other user. This may cause some confusion to the receiver. I have noticed the available icon when the old BB is used. This tells me the PINS are not auto swapped with the list. So from what I can tell the new pin is NOT sent on its own when you swap until you try to IM them. I suppose it would be nice to have the BB send an updated PIN when this is done. If they can keep a list of available online users, it should not be that hard to send an auto update of the PIN.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

If you are swapping all the time, that could be a pain. However, if you only swap once in a great while when you get a new BB maybe it would be best to delete all the Messenger contacts from the old device before swapping as this deletes you from your friends Messenger contact list as well. Then after you swap just add them back. Then they'll all realize you switched.
Closed Thread