Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #1
abdullah

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: BB
Default Blank Screens ( Custom Item)

Please Login to Remove!

well i am new here for the forum discussion and i would appriciate some really urgent help and thanks in advance

well i 've been working on stock related apllication using j2me-Polish and its working fine for the mobile phones like Nokia N72 and N73, Samsung D500 etc
For blackberry it works without any exception and error it shows the white blank Screen, for white blank screen i mean i have used a custom item on a Form or Tabbed Form but only CustomItem is not visible or its blank( custom item).
but it shows other items like imageItem , StringItem , TextFields, and choiceGroup as well , but the area in screens that includes or append the customItem, that particular screen is blank, i have used the paint method of customItem to use graphics

before integrating the application with j2me polish it was working fine with both for mobiles and blackberry as well

i want to know waht could be the reason for not making the customItem visible .

the thing i want to tell you that i have used Blackberry JDE 4.2.1 for the COD files for blackberry. But now i have integrated with j2me polish with jbuilder 2005 and the white blank screen is the result for me

also i want to know is there any way that i can integrate Ant with blackberry JDE 4.2.1 or blackberry JDE4.3.0
Old 08-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
holy3daps
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Hi!

These will be general tips - they won't specifically solve your particular problem, but hopefully they will give you some ideas about how to figure out what's going wrong (which is what programmers spend most of their time doing).

I haven't worked with J2ME-Polish (although I do have the book), and I only use the BlackBerry JDEs to develop (mostly because I believe they work Correctly if not Perfectly). There is an Ant task called "rapc" available somewhere on the 'net (use Google to find it - BlackBerry Ant Task) which does the compile/link/obfuscate/create-COD-file operations. There's another Ant task which I don't currently use that can automate the "signing" process as long as you're using the 4.3 signature tool (earlier versions required a user to enter their password, necessitating a Human In The Loop). The BlackBerry JDEs don't "Integrate" ant (as far as I know), so you may be stuck using it in a command line.

Regarding why your Custom screen item appears blank, my suggestions go like this: launch the application into a simulator with full access to the source code, attach a debugger and set a breakpoint at the place you expect the custom screen item to draw itself. Another is to sprinkle "System.out.println( "" )" statements in the various places you expect the application to execute, including inside the paint method (this is called - by me at least - "Printf Debugging" - I tend to dislike source-level debuggers, mostly due to my days of assembly and FORTRAN programming, and debugging-by-print-statements almost always works; I have used source-level debuggers with good results, but brute-force println tends to be more comfortable for me. Your mileage may vary). "System.out.println()" will work with the debugger, but not on an actual device (unless you attach the device to your PC via USB and attach a debugger to it). On a device, you would use the EventLogger class in your code to dump statements to the device event log; you can review the log on the device by holding the Alt key down and pressing LGLG. You can also use the javaloader application (in the JDE/bin directory) to download the event log to your PC (I find this easier to read than doing so from the device).

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

karl
Develops for BlackBerry
So next phone will be........an iPhone 3G!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
abdullah

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: BB

thanks bro ...

i did read your post just today and i suppose i should change the item or i should go for new Item provided by polish that is Table item rather then custom Item but there are several issuse as well anywas i did the debugging again as far i came to know paint() method is working fine all i need to do is handle the data properly for particular position or cell but cunfusiong thing is that mobile phones are working fine and for blackberry it requires to handle data more considerably

thanks again ...
Closed Thread