Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
Things lost:
- APN config (simple to fix)
- Freerange login/settings/cache (reconnected no problem)
- Yahoo Go settings/login, doesn't work (uninstalled and reinstalled, working on it - possible server problem?)
- Nexthaus SyncJe reg/license/cache, 1st sync duped all calendar entries (oh joy, not looking forward to fixing)
- Camera image numbering reset to 0 (booo, it overwrote 2 pics without even asking)

Things gained:
- Faster wifi acquisition and better wifi experiences (as others have mentioned)
- Leaving default browser on 'Wi Fi Browser' falls back to EDGE gracefully now when no WiFi is connected
- Camera now shows captured image instead of a black screen while it's busy saving to the SD card

What is the 'simple fix' for the APN config not showing up now?? I can't get Opera Mini to work now after the upgrade. Getting a network error. I think this has something to do with it. Couldn't find how to get the APN config to show up again.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:41 AM   #122
DaCurryman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraytedjim View Post
What is the 'simple fix' for the APN config not showing up now?? I can't get Opera Mini to work now after the upgrade. Getting a network error. I think this has something to do with it. Couldn't find how to get the APN config to show up again.
Options --> Advanced --> TCP
Under APN enter "wap.voicestream.com"
Old 10-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #123
xraytedjim

Model: Curve

DOH! I was looking in the wrong spot... Thanks!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:20 AM   #124
DaCurryman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
No idea on BES Mailbox. I'd email their support.
So I e-mailed them and got a response that BES Mailbox isn't compatible with 4.2.2 version of the 8320. Weird because it was working fine for me when I was running 4.2.2.171 and only started to error when I upgraded to 4.2.2.175. So I guess now I have to choose between the upgrade (which has a much quicker response) or the application (which helps me get to my corporate e-mail amongst the clutter)...dammit.

No one else using the BES Mailbox software?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #125
purepinay
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by spblat View Post

Quote:
- Leaving default browser on 'Wi Fi Browser' falls back to EDGE gracefully now when no WiFi is connected
Not confirmed. Are you sure? Mine is still complaining about wifi only when I have no wifi signal and try to use the browser (unless I change the default).
Not confirmed. Are you sure? Mine is still complaining about wifi only when I have no wifi signal and try to use the browser (unless I change the default).
My browser does the same when no wi-fi signal is present. It pops up that "No wi-fi" notification message.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #126
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spblat View Post
Where I see the graceful fallback is within an application using the API (FreeRange, GMail, etc.) when they launch the browser in order to get a link or whatnot; previously they'd choke if it was set to WiFi only, now they'll at least launch and fall back to EDGE in the tests I've done (which are admittedly unscientific). I still have the same problem of non-fallback when using the browser normally, that hasn't changed - my post was unclear, sorry.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #127
Lex Luthor

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Quote:
Send me the card and I will definitely let you know.

LOL!
Old 10-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #128
Chinoxs203

so i upgraded and i do not think this was a problem on my .171 ... anyways heres an example - it happens any menu screen

if you are in messages and you bring up the menu, the bottom half is pink and the more you turn the head of the phone towards your body the pinker it gets and you can see all the pixels! i cant remember this on the 171. as
anyone else having this kind of issue?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #129
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinoxs203 View Post
if you are in messages and you bring up the menu, the bottom half is pink and the more you turn the head of the phone towards your body the pinker it gets and you can see all the pixels! i cant remember this on the 171. as
anyone else having this kind of issue?
I never noticed this before, not sure I would call it an "issue" - the graphics are designed either with a higher color depth than what the screen can display, or the graphics were dithered into a color palette that wasn't rich enough so it's caused striations in the resulting images.

This is more of a nitpick, not an issue.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #130
Chinoxs203

Quote:
I never noticed this before, not sure I would call it an "issue" - the graphics are designed either with a higher color depth than what the screen can display, or the graphics were dithered into a color palette that wasn't rich enough so it's caused striations in the resulting images.

This is more of a nitpick, not an issue.
do you have this same issue? i mean for $350 i dont want my greys half pink
Old 10-16-2007, 02:24 PM   #131
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinoxs203 View Post
do you have this same issue? i mean for $350 i dont want my greys half pink
I see it, as I described it above. No comment on your wants, those are personal - try the rants & raves forum.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #132
Chinoxs203

Quote:
I see it, as I described it above. No comment on your wants, those are personal - try the rants & raves forum.
you got it dude
Old 10-16-2007, 02:48 PM   #133
mtnbike

Carrier: tmo
Default edge UMA handoff, phone reboots

so here's a new one.

tmo curve, upgraded from .171 to .175, removed vendor.xml

phone set for wifi preferred.

While at home, on the same wifi network I was using with .171. Half the time when the phone switches from edge to wifi and then UMA, the phone will reboot. This does not happed when going the other way and does not happed on any other wifi connection. I'm using a belkin 54g router, no router or internet changes.

Also, the left alt key does not work as well as it used to. I used to be able to hold alt and enter a series of numbers, now its alt number alt number.

any thoughts

Thanks
MS
Old 10-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #134
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbike View Post
Also, the left alt key does not work as well as it used to. I used to be able to hold alt and enter a series of numbers, now its alt number alt number.
For this one, try alt+leftcap (leftshift?) that locks it into numbers mode; alt+rightshift/rightcap locks it into capital letters mode. Pressing alt alone releases numbers mode, pressing rightshift/rightcap releases capital letters mode.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #135
jlab13

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO
Default please help

I downloaded the update several times. Every time I try to run it, I get the error "error reading setup initialization file". I'm on Vista. I've tried "run as administrator" as well. Same error.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #136
kingsfan3344
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbike View Post
so here's a new one.

tmo curve, upgraded from .171 to .175, removed vendor.xml

phone set for wifi preferred.

While at home, on the same wifi network I was using with .171. Half the time when the phone switches from edge to wifi and then UMA, the phone will reboot. This does not happed when going the other way and does not happed on any other wifi connection. I'm using a belkin 54g router, no router or internet changes.

any thoughts

Thanks
MS
Same issue with rebooting. I had to disable wifi.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:31 AM   #137
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

That "pink" issue is just the way that liquid crystal displays work and it's dependent on your viewing angle. If you have a laptop try putting the screen far enough back and you will see a similar effect. It's just how the light is reflected of the "liquid" in the screen and is listed as a spec for all LCD screens, it's the viewing angle.

Try wearing a pair of polarized sunglasses and look at your BB screen, then rotate your device 360 degrees and watch for when the screen goes completely black. That's a royal PITA when driving and honestly it's my biggest pet peeve of all new devices as my 7520 never did this because it was a front lit LCD screen, not a back lit.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:34 AM   #138
purepinay

Smile

Upgraded from .171 a couple days ago, and all the issues I was having with UMA are now non-existent, and I agree, the Wi-Fi is definitely improved also.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #139
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Things lost:
snip

- Yahoo Go settings/login, doesn't work (uninstalled and reinstalled, working on it - possible server problem?)

snip

saving to the SD card
What version of Yahoo Go do you have? I went to their website to try it out and they have a version for the 8310, but not the 8320. They say that version is coming soon. Wonder if they're working on the connection issues.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:04 PM   #140
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
What version of Yahoo Go do you have? I went to their website to try it out and they have a version for the 8310, but not the 8320. They say that version is coming soon. Wonder if they're working on the connection issues.
We're running the 8300 version of Go on our 8320, it would probably work just fine on the 8310 as well. See here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post691764