Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Thom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Alternative Screen Fix

Please Login to Remove!

I am not sure if is okay to link to another BB forum, but there is an alternative to fixing the screen clicking that does not involve inserting a business card or paper into the BB and it seems to be more of a permanent fix. Check it out here:

Screen Click Problem fixed using a different method. - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Mods...If this is not allowed please let me know and I won't do it again. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
I am not sure if is okay to link to another BB forum, but there is an alternative to fixing the screen clicking that does not involve inserting a business card or paper into the BB and it seems to be more of a permanent fix. Check it out here:

Screen Click Problem fixed using a different method. - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Mods...If this is not allowed please let me know and I won't do it again. Thanks.
Can anybody post pictures of this being done.

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 12-06-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
rvgraham

PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Thumbs up

Mod: this should be a sticky!
No, wait, this should have its own forum!

No, wait : RIM, this should have its own website!!!
This tweak will save this entire product!!

--bg
Old 12-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
MHarvey124

I have done this fix. This is the problem with the phone not clicking. Do it and stop calling for replacements.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
nomoreq
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330

Wirelessly posted

I too tried this. I was not having problems like some others but wow. Its like a whole new phone
Old 12-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
mrmartymac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Photos, info and personal endorsement

Ok, so I had done the paper trick, just to make clicking, especially on the "A" side of the keyboard better. I used two cut pieces of my business card. No folding as it was too thick.

HOWEVER, I just tried the screw adjustment and am impressed with the results. So impressed that I took the time to pull out my camera an take these pictures to help future readers.

I hope they help.

I had bought my Torx to change the keypad of my 8830 as the VZW default blue on silver was annoying... that is another part of the forum though.

I got the Torx at Home Depot for something around $9. It is a nice little tool with T4-T10. I found, unlike other posters that I needed T7. It was the best fit IMHO.

All the other posts explain what to do, lift the sticker, I too only had only one sticker. I lifted it with a straight pin, in fact I did not "remove" it, I just loosened it so I could get the torx under it. I made one complete turn on each of them and am, as noted, delighted with the results.

Again, I hope the photos help.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
Thom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the pictures.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
StigMX5

Model: 9500

MrMartyMac,

I'm currently doing the business card trick (2 over the battery), but I did use a needle to lift the edge of that sticker up to make sure I could do that hack as well.

My question is, do you think that the keyboard feels better by backing out the screws 3/4 - 1 turn vs the card? Obviously, it gives "infinite" adjustment vs the business card trick.

Just seems like some poster at Crackberry don't like having to put cards in the back of their unit. I could care less about that fact. If you feel that it's better than the card or have any other observations, I'd be interesting in hearing them.

Thanks again for the nice writeup and pics.

Stig
Old 12-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #9
mrmartymac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Stig,

I would say that the method related to the screws is at least as good as, if not better than the cards.

While I tend to agree that either will do, I also have "some" concern (read, not losing sleep over it, but a little concern) that the cards will casue something to flex and over time, the efficacy of the trick may diminish. Then what to we do? Add a third card? I am currently in favor of the screw adjustment over the cards.

Lastly, I suspect, based on all the postings here and elsewhere that the purpose of these screws is specifically related to adjusting the "click-ability" of the screen and there for prefer the presumably "RIM Approved" (again... my ASSUMPTION) method, vs. the paper/business card approach.

To those who expressed thanks for the photos, it is my pleasure to contribute.

With regards,
MrMartyMac.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
StigMX5

Thanks Marty for the response. I also doubt that the cards will create any long term issues. To me, it looks like the battery is actually lower then the rest of the Storm internals. This is true especially through the center area as my battery has a raised edge all around the outside.

That said, I will pick up a smaller torx set tomorrow and give it a try at 3/4 to 1 full turn. I've read where some people have had SIM card issues, but it appears they might have got a little overzealous with the adjustment.

Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
mrmartymac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just to follow up... after a day of use I can say this is really much better than the card trick. IMHO.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
HarlyFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

I also believe this is a much better fix long term than the paper trick. The first is a FIX and the second is just a TRICK!!!

Addicted To The CRACKBerry!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
Byproxy
Thumbs Must Hurt

i agree with mrmarty that a T7 is the right size. i used a t6 based on what i had read before, and it worked, but it was a little loose in the screws. a t7 would have been perfect.

anyway, i thought a full turn was too much. indeed, the right torx at a full turn felt like it lost its "bite" altogether, so i settled on 3/4 turn and it seems to have worked quite well.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #14
StigMX5

I agree with Byproxy. I tried it tonight and it seems like one turn is a little too much for me so I settled on 3/4 for both, give or take.

I noticed that the labeled screw seemed to control more of the hard button side of the screen.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #15
SGRacer

3/4 turn really helped the phone have a better feel. I have a replacement coming Wednesday since my Verizon guy said the keys felt a little soft in one corner and said it was worth a try. It will have to really perform to be better than this one does now.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #16
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask

I did this trick about 4 days ago. Everything has been good, until this morning, I found the screen wasn't clicking at all, until I took off the battery cover, and pressed on the battery. Anybody has had this happen (I did a full turn on the screws).

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #17
dac00160

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxDruMMer BoYxx View Post
I did this trick about 4 days ago. Everything has been good, until this morning, I found the screen wasn't clicking at all, until I took off the battery cover, and pressed on the battery. Anybody has had this happen (I did a full turn on the screws).
A T7 is right. ..But before I touch the screws ... 3/4 to 1 turn WHICH direction ... counter clock or clock????
Old 12-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #18
Thom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac00160 View Post
A T7 is right. ..But before I touch the screws ... 3/4 to 1 turn WHICH direction ... counter clock or clock????
Counter clockwise if your screen doesn't click well in the corners. The thought is that the screws were over torqued creating this issue.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #19
Byproxy
Thumbs Must Hurt

for those who have more patience than i... i might even suggest starting with a 1/4 turn, then play with phone for a day or so... then if not enough, another 1/4 turn... etc.

i think the idea here would be to loosen the screws as little as possible to get the desired result.

mine's working great at 3/4 turn after a couple days, but with this in mind i'm actually considering tightening back down to 1/2 turn to see if that might provide the same level of satisfaction.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #20
HKP7M13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

My keyboard was decent and not worth the hassle of getting a replacement and having to give everyone a new PIN. I did do this to tweak the keyboard and it worked very well. Did one full turn counterclockwise. Now it's perfect. Don't loosen too much or your keyboard will be unclickable. I have that same Kobalt screwdriver but in standard phillips/flathead set up. The smallest flathead works fine.

I did tear up my sticker on the second adjustment but reading that some people didn't have the sticker in the first place makes me not too concerned about it.

Last edited by HKP7M13; 12-09-2008 at 02:21 PM..
Closed Thread