MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZD View Post
The article (along with the one on BGR) both state that it has WiFi.

I'd love to learn more about the difference between SurePress and TruePress.

blackberry def dropped the ball by not having wifi in the first storm or even verizon. wifi these days is such a standard part of a phone its silly not to add it. i think apple has set a high standard in the cell phone market. all phone should have wifi, 2 meg cam, touch screen and so on. the one thing that most cell phone makers that have been failing on is battery life. they don't understand that by having all of these options they need to make the battery better but cant with out making the phone a little bigger or need to use a better type of batter aka fuel cell lol that would be nice
Old 05-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #22
iamajim
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I worked for a cell phone manuf for 4 years and I can tell you battery life is a very very big issue for them; it's just that the current technology in batteries
is being pushed right now. They would love to have unlimited power but there are trade-offs that have to be made. All of those exploding batteries are almost always counterfeits. Beware buying batteries anywhere but a very trusted source as this is a big issue in the industry.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #23
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERK350Z View Post
was just checking out engadget.com and they are saying that its going to be a full touch screen and they are dropping the surepress screen. which i think would be much better. if the storm 2 comes out with a screen like the iphone it would be perfect . the touch screen on the storm 9500 or the 9530 was not that good and if you really have to start playing with the calibration of the screen then its going to suck and fail. that is one thing that apple got perfect was the touch screen is flawless and i hate apple . cant wait for the new storm to come out and test it out.
I have a Touch and detest typing on it. I much prefer the feedback of the Storm--I make far less typos on the Storm than my Touch. Isn't it simply rumor about the screen, at this point? Aren't you simply parroting a rumor you read online re RIM dropping Surepress? No way would I want a Storm that has no feedback, ala the Touch. I had no problem with the Storm's keyboard or calibration. I only returned ours due to constant rebooting.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #24
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlok View Post
The BlackBerry Storm 2 has just been leaked. What do you think about it?
BlackBerry Storm 2 First Pics Released - SoftSailor

The Storm 2 pictured there is a CDMA phone as it says "Activation Required". The camera is the same, 3.2 megapixel with autofocus.
The Storm 2 looks thinner, and the 4 hard buttons are now touch-sensitive. Its screen looks sharper, and probably the new TruePress technology is better. As the gap between the edges and the screen is smaller, I think that the screen will not be so dust-lover.
There isn't too much difference and I would definitely expect more of it, but... I can see something like a proximity sensor in the top left corner...
This should be out sometime before Christmas. Hopefully, the OS will be better...
How did u determine the buttons are touch sensitive?

What makes you assume the screen is sharper? I've seen all the pics and don't see how those blurry pictures could possibly depict the sharpness of the screen, compared to the current Storm. I think that might be wishful thinking on someone's part.

If the OS isn't better, they are wasting their time on the hardware. The Storm is already pretty decent, hardware-wise (other than lacking a prox sensor). The OS is what needs a total revamping, IMO.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:09 AM   #25
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
How did u determine the buttons are touch sensitive?

What makes you assume the screen is sharper? I've seen all the pics and don't see how those blurry pictures could possibly depict the sharpness of the screen, compared to the current Storm. I think that might be wishful thinking on someone's part.

If the OS isn't better, they are wasting their time on the hardware. The Storm is already pretty decent, hardware-wise (other than lacking a prox sensor). The OS is what needs a total revamping, IMO.
The gap between the touchscreen and the phone's edges is not that big which means that you won't be able to press it like you did on the original Storm. It is very hard to type in corners therefore those 4 former hard keys have to be touch-sensitive or else IMO many people will skip Storm 2. Probably the only hardware additions will be WiFi and the proximity sensor that you were talking and that you can see in the top left corner of Storm 2. And I already said that the OS is crap and we need something better. Actually Storm 2 needs something better because with a good OS the phone will become great.
The screen on Storm 2 appears to be bigger and I assume that it will have a better contrast, a better resolution etc.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #26
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
The gap between the touchscreen and the phone's edges is not that big which means that you won't be able to press it like you did on the original Storm. It is very hard to type in corners therefore those 4 former hard keys have to be touch-sensitive or else IMO many people will skip Storm 2. Probably the only hardware additions will be WiFi and the proximity sensor that you were talking and that you can see in the top left corner of Storm 2. And I already said that the OS is crap and we need something better. Actually Storm 2 needs something better because with a good OS the phone will become great.
The screen on Storm 2 appears to be bigger and I assume that it will have a better contrast, a better resolution etc.
I second your "the OS is crap" comment!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #27
Dyffwd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm also going to be looking at a Samsung Bigfoot before making any final decisions on which phone to buy.

I'm somewhat locked into the Blackberry for the moment by Rex Desktop but I'm willing to bet they port to Android before the year's out.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:13 AM   #28
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyffwd View Post
I'm also going to be looking at a Samsung Bigfoot before making any final decisions on which phone to buy.

I'm somewhat locked into the Blackberry for the moment by Rex Desktop but I'm willing to bet they port to Android before the year's out.
I think I might do this switch too. I've heard that the Storm2 might be out this summer, or this fall, and this would mean that they screw us all. If they release it, then it's bye-bye BB forever
Old 05-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #29
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

Quote:
I think I might do this switch too. I've heard that the Storm2 might be out this summer, or this fall, and this would mean that they screw us all. If they release it, then it's bye-bye BB forever
Good plan! If RIM starts giving us newer, better hardware too fast, we should all ditch 'em! That'll show 'em!
Verizon 9550
Old 05-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #30
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Good plan! If RIM starts giving us newer, better hardware too fast, we should all ditch 'em! That'll show 'em!
I dunno about you, but this is just not cool from RIM. It's not good. This shouldn't happen. Seriously, I would feel betrayed if Storm2 comes out this year, and I know RIM doesn't care us but this is unacceptable. At least do what Apple has done, offer sh*tty phones once every 1-2 years.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #31
Dyffwd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I dunno about you, but this is just not cool from RIM. It's not good. This shouldn't happen. Seriously, I would feel betrayed if Storm2 comes out this year, and I know RIM doesn't care us but this is unacceptable. At least do what Apple has done, offer sh*tty phones once every 1-2 years.
If RIM had put Wi-Fi in the Storm to begin with, instead of kowtowing to Verizon's greedy demands I might already have bought one, AND they wouldn't really need to release another one yet - just upgrade the OS.

Since they were stupid enough to let a carrier dictate that a common, highly demanded feature be left out of a smartphone, they had better rectify that mistake by release a real smartphone.

But both Apple and RIM better watch out with the Android based phones coming down the pipe.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #32
pearlinSen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

BlackBerry Storm 2: the official unofficial hands-on

WORD
Old 05-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #33
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
If RIM had put Wi-Fi in the Storm to begin with, instead of kowtowing to Verizon's greedy demands I might already have bought one, AND they wouldn't really need to release another one yet - just upgrade the OS.

Since they were stupid enough to let a carrier dictate that a common, highly demanded feature be left out of a smartphone, they had better rectify that mistake by release a real smartphone.

But both Apple and RIM better watch out with the Android based phones coming down the pipe.

IMHO, Palm's WebOS looks awesome. Android hasn't turned me on. Maybe in the future, but not at the moment.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #34
Saberhagen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Trigcom

Seriously.. FU*K RIM if they release the Storm2 almost 8 months after Storm.. Instead of making the Storm a better device, they go on and produce Storm2? Thats just friggin rude..
Old 05-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #35
Dyffwd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
IMHO, Palm's WebOS looks awesome. Android hasn't turned me on. Maybe in the future, but not at the moment.
Oh Android needs polish, but having seen the screenies, and read the reviews, of Cupcake (Android 1.5) I'd say that polish is on the fast track. As I said, I'm locked into Blackberry for a time because of certain apps, but I'm probably going to get an Android based phone for my wife so she'll have her email in her face where she can't forget about it. :D

And let me say that the G1 is at least as polished at the iPhone first release.

Last edited by Dyffwd; 05-21-2009 at 11:58 PM..
Old 05-23-2009, 01:22 AM   #36
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
And let me say that the G1 is at least as polished at the iPhone first release.
You read my mind. iPhone wasn't really that great at the beginning, actually it's not that great now. I would love to try an Android-based cellphone. I don't like the G1, maybe the Samsung i7500.

However, I am still waiting for RIM (?) or someone to release a better OS. If the Storm 2 will come with 5.0 OS then Storm1 users should definitely receive it, right?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #37
johnlatessa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPh 5

Verizon should worry about the customers who purchased the crappy Storm 1, before worrying about Storm 2

$10 says we're not going to get any consideration whatsoever when this Storm 2 ever comes out. Not to gripe too much, yes I bought the phone and I'm stuck with it. But this makes RIM look bad, and it doesn't do Verizon any favors either.

Last edited by johnlatessa; 05-23-2009 at 10:30 AM..
Old 05-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #38
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

Actually, I think they need to be more concerned with WebOS and the Pre...
Old 05-24-2009, 05:01 AM   #39
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Actually, I think they need to be more concerned with WebOS and the Pre...
From what I've heard, they don't have enough Pre units. Some say they only have 30,000 units. If this is true then RIM and Verizon should not worry about Pre. I think they should worry about the next-gen iPhone if it shows up this summer.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #40
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
From what I've heard, they don't have enough Pre units. Some say they only have 30,000 units. If this is true then RIM and Verizon should not worry about Pre. I think they should worry about the next-gen iPhone if it shows up this summer.

Don't act on, or worry about rumors.
Closed Thread