Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers
Default BlackBerry Torch 9800: Excellent Design, Middling Performance

Please Login to Remove!

Wall Street Journal on the BlackBerry Torch
Quote:
RIM has stepped up its smartphone game by introducing the BlackBerry Torch 9800 ($200 with a two-year contract from AT&T), the company's very first touchscreen/physical-keyboard phone sporting the brand-new BlackBerry 6 OS. But can the Torch (and future BlackBerry 6 OS devices) compete with the ever-growing Android army?

A little thicker than some of the other top-line smartphones out right now, the Torch measures 4.4 by 2.4 by 0.6 inches and weighs a manageable 5.68 ounces. Unlike with the BlackBerry Storm and the BlackBerry Storm 2, here RIM has successfully added a touchscreen while retaining the look and feel of the phone familiar to BlackBerry users. The front face of the phone has the four typical buttons: Talk, Menu, Back, and Power/End. The buttons flank the square optical touchpad, which you can use for navigation in addition to the touchscreen.
Perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the Torch is its touchscreen display. Not only did I find it slightly lackluster, but it could also be a bit wonky in its responsiveness. Thankfully, it doesn't use RIM's awkward SurePress technology, which we saw on the Storm models. The 3.2-inch 360-by-480 capacitive touch display is smaller and a lower resolution than the screens of competing phones such as the Samsung Vibrant or the Motorola Droid X. Though it is fine for browsing the Web, the colors, text, and detail looked slightly flat. The display also comes equipped with multitouch (for zooming in and out), which the browser and photo gallery both support.
[/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font]
Like the Palm Pre, the Torch has a vertical slide-out hardware keyboard. The slider mechanism feels sturdy, and the keyboard slides smoothly and easily. The Torch's keyboard is thinner than those on other BlackBerry models, but I found it quite comfortable to type on. The keys are sculpted and nicely sized, and include a handful of useful shortcut buttons. The Torch also has a software keyboard that you can use in portrait and landscape mode, but both variations feel pretty cramped.

BlackBerry 6 OS may have a more modern, spruced-up user interface, but BlackBerry owners will feel right at home. Though the icons and text appear sharper and smoother, the overall look is ultimately BlackBerry. For more on BlackBerry 6 OS and all of its new features, see my in-depth hands-on look.
E-mail is where RIM really shines, and BlackBerry 6 OS adds some features that solidify the company as the master of messaging. You can of course sync with your company's BlackBerry Enterprise Server with support for Exchange, Lotus Domino, or Groupwise for real-time e-mail delivery. With BlackBerry Internet Service, you can access up to ten personal or business POP3 or IMAP4 e-mail accounts.
Here's where things get confusing: Essentially you have to deal with two separate inboxes for managing your messages. First you have the universal Messages inbox, which contains your SMS items, e-mail messages, and BlackBerry Messenger. Then you have your dedicated your e-mail (in my case, Gmail) inbox. In the dedicated Gmail inbox, you get archiving, threaded conversations, labeling, and starring--an arrangement that's just about as close to the desktop Gmail setup as possible. In the catch-all inbox, however, you don't have access to any of these features. This is a bizarre oversight on RIM's part.
Social media aggregators are a hot item in competing smartphones, so it comes as no surprise that RIM has created its own. I'm not a huge fan of social aggregators; I find them a bit messy, and I prefer to read my feeds in separate places. I don't have a use for them, and I wish smartphone manufacturers would stop insisting that dumping all of your social networks into one place increases your productivity.
Perhaps the most exciting update in 6 OS is the addition of a WebKit-based browser. Until now, the BlackBerry platform's biggest pitfall was its shoddy Web browser. The new browser isn't perfect (more on that later), but it is light years ahead of the older one. BlackBerry OS has finally caught up with the other players: You get pinch-to-zoom multitouch support, tabbed browsing, and auto-wrap text zoom (when you zoom in to a block of text, the font automatically wraps in a column so that none of it is cut off).
Pinch-to-zoom wasn't the smoothest experience, but it worked just fine in my hands-on tests. Auto-wrap text functioned well, too. I liked having a cursor while browsing so that I could easily copy text and navigate as I would in a desktop browser. The tabbed browsing interface is especially nice and easy to navigate. Opening a new tab requires clicking an icon in the top-right corner of the display. Clicking this icon also shows all of your open browser windows in thumbnails. You can then flick through the miniature pages to navigate.
Read more:
washingtonpost.com
Old 08-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Rapid_App_Dev

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

The Torch will keep loyal BB users happy but I doubt that it will get any Android or iPhone user to jump ship to RIM.
Closed Thread