Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
elkabong
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default Another MDS HTTPS Proxy 'Connection Refused' Problem

Please Login to Remove!

First off, Google searches (and searches herein) yield definite hits for this, but no common or matched solutions to my problem. Also, many date back 5 years or so!

First off, my BES config is as follows:

Single BB Domain - 4 BES
  • 2x - BES 5.0 SP1 MR2 - Running on Win2K8 SP2 x64
  • 2x - BES 4.1.6 - Running on Win2K3 x86
  • Remote SQL DB on SQL 2005
  • Exchange 2003
  • ~1000 HH Users

Now the specifics of my problem:

We're having very odd issues with the BES 5.0 MDS Connection component (specifically with HTTPS web servers/sites). Using the HH Blackberry browser, HTTPS requests SOMETIMES work for some sites, NEVER works for others, and (weirdly) ALWAYS work for still others. This comes and goes and I have even gotten errors on simple HTTP (port 80) web browser requests. I've tested this over and over again (purging HH cache and replicating problem, etc) but can't find a single pattern. I error that I consistently get is the 'Error 400: Bad Request" followed in the details by the 'Connection Refused URLNAME.COM: 443'

I have an open ticket with T-Support, and one of the techs said that this is a 'known issue' (but didn't elaborate) with how the MDS handles certificates. I haven't heard back on details or resolution.

BES Logs have shown an 'Invalid Proxy Server' entry during these failed requests. We use ISA for our proxy server and have a rule configured to allow all of the BES IP's to anonymously access the internet. ISA monitoring hasn't been too helpful, as it just shows requests going back/forth between the BES and the ISA during these 'Bad Request' sessions. Accessing some of the 'problematic' sites from the BES itself via IE is not a problem.

Browser settings are set to use the Blackberry browser

5.0 MDS 'Proxy Configuration
  • Universal Resource Locator: .*://.*(:\d*)?(/.*)*(\?.*)?
  • Proxy Item: PROXY myproxyserver.mydomain.com:80
  • Allow Untrusted HTTPS Connections: YES

This config was reviewed and validated by a RIM tech, as were the 4.1 BES proxy mappings.

This issue does NOT appear for ANY users on the 4.x BES, and there have NOT been any changes to our ISA/Proxy. I've sent logs to RIM for review but still no dice. We're needing to migrate SOON, however, but I just don't know where to look anymore. ANY help is appreciated on this.

El Kabong

Last edited by elkabong; 04-08-2010 at 03:40 PM..
Old 09-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
iwright

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T, tMobile, VZW
Default Same problems here...

I have a very similar setup to your BES configuration except that we're running 4 BES servers all on 5.0.1 MR3 - soon to upgrade to SP2 MR1; and we have an ASA FW and an Ironport proxy appliances.

We're getting almost identical behavior with our devices and the same response from T-Support. I'm hoping the upgrade to SP2 will fix this...

Have you had any feedback from RIM or the Forum at all?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

KB20833-Unable to browse to HTTPS websites from the BlackBerry smartphone that use a certificate containing "Subject Alternative Name"
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread