BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
nudais

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default File Transfers Not Working Via Bluetooth - Help!

Please Login to Remove!

I have in front of me my old Sony Ericsson and a Motorola Q. They can swap files between themselves no problem, but neither of them can transfer a file to my Curve. So, we know it's the Curve that's the problem.

Here's what I'm doing.

I pair my Curve with the Q (or SE) and everything seems fine. Both devices 'see' each other. Then I locate the file I want to transfer on the Q. On the Curve I go to Media->Ring Tones and hit Menu. I select Receive Using Bluetooth and it responds with "File Transfer Waiting for connection". I hit send on the Q and the Curve displays "Accept connection request from Motorola Q". I respond with Yes and the Curve displays the location of where the file will be saved and what the file name will be. I select Save. The Curve IMMEDIATELY responds with "File Transfer Transfer Failed" and the Q displays "....<file name> not sent - connection lost".

What am I doing wrong? The file is 2Mb. Is there a file size limit on the Curve? I even tried emailing the file to myself as an attachment. The Curve got the email OK. I tried to save the attachment and the Curve said, "marking item as saved". WTF does that mean? I tried to open the attachment and Curve said "conversion failed". What conversion? It's an MP3!!!

This is driving me insane (OK, more insane)! Please prevent me from microwaving the Curve.

Thanks a bunch for any help you can give me.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:19 AM   #2
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Try transferring the same file but go into the media player, and choose music instead of ring tones. I am guessing this is a MP3 you're trying to transfer? Also, do you have a memory card in the microSD slot?

Also as far as the email getting to the device properly, are you attached to a BES server? If it's not updated to a current version, the BES server will not know how to handle a MP3 file, and therefore you cannot open them on mail received through your BES server, but BIS is still an alternative in that situation.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:01 AM   #3
fangs2

Model: 9800
Carrier: DiGi
Default unable to receive files

I've been trying to receive files on my curve 8300 but it seems that i am unable to do so. I don't know why... Help!! I tried sending a photo to my treo 650 which was no problem but when i did the same in reverse it just tells me unable to send to my blackberry. I have no idea why? Is it something to do with the settings? I've paired both the devices together already.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
mebiuspower
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: Rogers

BBs in general have horrible BT file transfer support, I gave up after trying numerous times trying to send files to my 8300 from my Sony Ericssons (they have BEST BT support vs. all makes)
Old 10-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
ajb1001

Model: 8310
Carrier: Vodafone

I hate to tell you this, but you'll not be able to transfer files, becuase RIM in their paranoia over security have deliberately omitted the OBEX file transfer BT protocol available in almost every other BT phone out there! Andy
Old 10-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
Malkier
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: ALL

Thats what I thought, BT on BlackBerry cant actually be used for file transfer???
Old 10-18-2007, 10:15 PM   #7
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

The bluetooth file transfer works just fine, but I don't believe it will let you receive files onto the internal memory. When I was working with a friends BB, it wouldn't let me transfer him a file until he had a microSD card in the slot.

I was able to transfer files when I had my curve as well with no problem, and it worked with a Razr, Nextel i870, Samsung something or other, and a SonyEricson.

To those having trouble, do you have a microSD card installed in your curve?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:54 PM   #8
fangs2

Model: 9800
Carrier: DiGi
Default found the solution

After a couple hours of meditating (sleeping) I found the answer to my woes. What one has to do is to first go to Media

2. click options and u will see receive via bluetooth

3. as we send from other phone click on the receive via bluetooth on our curve

Hey presto it will ask where we want to store the file and then we're good to go!

Just transferred a file with no problems.

Thanks for the tips guys...
Old 10-18-2007, 11:13 PM   #9
Malkier

Carrier: ALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaTaX View Post
The bluetooth file transfer works just fine, but I don't believe it will let you receive files onto the internal memory. When I was working with a friends BB, it wouldn't let me transfer him a file until he had a microSD card in the slot.

I was able to transfer files when I had my curve as well with no problem, and it worked with a Razr, Nextel i870, Samsung something or other, and a SonyEricson.

To those having trouble, do you have a microSD card installed in your curve?
Thanks for clearing that up, never used BT for file transfer and wasn't sure on what was possible.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:24 AM   #10
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 11:02 PM..
Old 10-19-2007, 01:53 AM   #11
BurningBerry

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile & Vodafone

we have the same problem here, we use the desktopmanager for a workaround.

Amicus Certus In Re Incerta Cernitur
Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 AM   #12
TxUser

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular AT&T
Question Transfering Ringtones using Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaTaX View Post
Try transferring the same file but go into the media player, and choose music instead of ring tones. I am guessing this is a MP3 you're trying to transfer? Also, do you have a memory card in the microSD slot?

Also as far as the email getting to the device properly, are you attached to a BES server? If it's not updated to a current version, the BES server will not know how to handle a MP3 file, and therefore you cannot open them on mail received through your BES server, but BIS is still an alternative in that situation.
Ok i have tried doing these directions and nothing i have the Pearl and wow complicated.....When i go to transfer i recieve the Connection failed? Any help i would be so Grateful!!!
Closed Thread