Old 08-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
mcswensen

Model: 8630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VERIZON
Default 9630 Tour Call waiting issue VZ

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone,
i can't believe there are not more of these posts out here. I am having an issue with call waiting on my tour 9630 w/camera.

device about screen shows
Blackberry 9630
smartphone(3g,CDMA)
v4.7.1.40(platform 4.1.0.40)

when i am on the phone and a second call comes in i can hit the send button and switch and the screen flips to the second callers contact info however when i switch back to the first call the screen does not switch back.

essentially i have no way of knowing which party i am talking to unless i ask.

anyone else see this problem.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

Been that way on all Blackberries as long as I can remember. It's pretty stupid, frustrating and unpolished, isn't it?
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 08-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
mcswensen

kurichan,
i dont mean to disagree but my AT&T 8310 curve always showed whoever you were talking to no matter how many times you flipped back and forth. and the cool thing with the ATT 8310 curve was if i was having a convo with two people i could hit the berry key and join them together and have an instant three way call.

I am VERY disapointed in the tour and RIM for putting this out this way.

anyway thanks for the reply.

who can I call or email at RIM to explain to them how dumb this is? anyone here work for RIM?

I love my blackberry and I can't live without it but I can't have this mickey mouse sh***T going on.

HEY RIM CHECK YOUR QA DEPTARTMENT I THINK THEY FELL ASLEEP

Last edited by mcswensen; 08-25-2009 at 02:37 PM..
Old 08-26-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcswensen View Post
...and the cool thing with the ATT 8310 curve was if i was having a convo with two people i could hit the berry key and join them together and have an instant three way call.

I am VERY disapointed in the tour and RIM for putting this out this way.

anyway thanks for the reply.

who can I call or email at RIM to explain to them how dumb this is? anyone here work for RIM?

I love my blackberry and I can't live without it but I can't have this mickey mouse sh***T going on.

HEY RIM CHECK YOUR QA DEPTARTMENT I THINK THEY FELL ASLEEP
The call handling has nothing to do with your device or RIM - it's a network 'issue'.

While CDMA data performance blows GSM out of the water, GSM has much better call handling capabilites (conferencing, call waiting, etc). You can send as many nasty emails to RIM as you'd like, but there isn't anthing they can do about it.

If that call handling functionality is more important to you than solid coverage and superior data speeds, you should move back to a GSM carrier.

BES 5.0.4 ~ BES 10.1
Old 08-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
mcswensen

so if i understand you correctly the blackberry software is fully capable of updating the screen with the person i am talking to, its just that my faster superior carrier doesnt want that to happen so it is some sort of disabled?

that doesnt make a whole lot of sense. it was my understanding that this was a device software issue. If it is not I stand apologetic and corrected. If it is a device issue then i will remain upset with RIM.

In any event thanks for the info.

can anyone confirm for me that this is a product of the "network" and not a bug in the device software?

P.S. Not that I want to start the debate but jgb infers that my GSM carrier did not have solid coverage and that is false. There is NO differnece between AT&T and VERIZON coverages for my primary Area of Operation. Infact I have dropped more calls and heard more static (yes static) since i have switch to VZ.

but again i am not trying to start fight.

Last edited by mcswensen; 08-26-2009 at 08:55 AM..
Old 08-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
so if i understand you correctly the blackberry software is fully capable of updating the screen with the person i am talking to, its just that my faster superior carrier doesnt want that to happen so it is some sort of disabled?
No, you'll notice I chopped that part out when quoting you - I have no idea why the on screen display doesn't swap properly (I also find it annoying, but it's not the end of the world) so I didn't want to comment on that. I'd lean towards it being a software issue, but can't really say for sure.

I was talking about the call handling functions like conferencing, call waiting, etc.

With GSM and CDMA being two distinctly different technologies, they have different features and performance. CDMA is awesome for data and OK for voice where GSM is excellent for voice and not that great for data.

Quote:
that doesnt make a whole lot of sense. it was my understanding that this was a device software issue. If it is not I stand apologetic and corrected. If it is a device issue then i will remain upset with RIM.

No problem

Quote:
can anyone confirm for me that this is a product of the "network" and not a bug in the device software?
For folks to be able to confirm this, you'll need to state the issue more clearly.

Is your concern what is being displayed on the screen? Or is it that you can't
"hit the berry key and join them together and have an instant three way call." ?

Quote:
P.S. Not that I want to start the debate but jgb infers that my GSM carrier did not have solid coverage and that is false. There is NO differnece between AT&T and VERIZON coverages for my primary Area of Operation.
Coverage varies in different areas of the country, and the longest established carrier in each market usually has the best overall coverage in a given area. That being said, VZW is the 'incumbent' wireless carrier in the majority of the major US markets, and thus have better coverage.

Quote:
Infact I have dropped more calls and heard more static (yes static) since i have switch to VZ.
If that's the case, why did you switch to VZW? The GSM carriers almost always have the better phones, and it'd be awesome if CDMA had a SIM style card so handset swaps would be a lot easier.

Personally, my biggest concern is network coverage, speed & reliability - the actual device is a close second. Out of curiosity - did you switch to VZW just for the 9630?

BES 5.0.4 ~ BES 10.1
Old 09-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
cyberjew

Model: 9700
PIN: 22B49097
Carrier: AT&T
Default He's actually correct

Quote:

P.S. Not that I want to start the debate but jgb infers that my GSM carrier did not have solid coverage and that is false. There is NO differnece between AT&T and VERIZON coverages for my primary Area of Operation. Infact I have dropped more calls and heard more static (yes static) since i have switch to VZ.

but again i am not trying to start fight.

Yes, it truly is the network. In terms of the technology, CDMA definitely has been around longer, but GSM is way more advanced in terms of call handling. CDMA networks (Verizon and Sprint) are pretty antiquated in how they handle call forwarding/call waiting/etc and rely on more traditional POTS phone DTMF sequences to program certain features.

Yet another reason why you have to dial #228 every so often too. You have to tell the network your phone needs an update. Bull crap!

Any GSM phone I have ever had does all this automatically...Blackberry, iPhone, etc. Doesn't matter.

The phone manufacturers get to call the shots in some areas, but the actual call handling/setup and tear down...that's all the carrier my friend.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
9duc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberjew View Post
...Yet another reason why you have to dial #228 every so often too. You have to tell the network your phone needs an update. Bull crap!...
Sorry to go off topic here, but I'm curious about the feature code #228. I'm assuming this is only for Verizon? I just tried to dial it from my Sprint phone and it doesn't work. Anyone know the code for Sprint?

I was under the impression that dialing *2 for customer service (on sprint) would update the phone before connecting to a csr???
Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
hypermaster
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Airtel

Theres no..... "Phone > Option" there is no "call waiting" menu

i cant switch back to the 1st caller after i have picked up a call no.

Is there any solution ??

I am using GSM on this phone...
Old 11-29-2009, 01:24 AM   #10
hypermaster
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Airtel

ok figured it out...

1. you get 1st call.. u press the green button to pick up.
2. you get 2nd call on call wait... u press the green button to pickup and hold the 1st call
3. to swap back to the 1st call-- just press and hold the green button and your back to the 1st call..
Closed Thread