Triforce66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: IsSharpAndPointy
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Post RDM+ for BlackBerry vs Idokorro Mobile Desktop

Please Login to Remove!

Afternoon everyone,

I am looking for a way to remote control my servers remotely from my blackberry. Currently I am using windows remote desktop over a ssh tunnel. I have been looking around and there seems to be only 2 options for blackberry remote desktop applications (please correct me if I am wrong):

RDM+ for BlackBerry RIM devices

and

Idokorro Mobile Desktop

From what I am reading Idokorro's product requires you to open Windows RDP port to the public network in order to connect to the server correct? While SS's RDM+ uses a third party middle-man server correct?

Any input on opinions, thoughts, corrections?
Old 07-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
chinatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triforce66 View Post
From what I am reading Idokorro's product requires you to open Windows RDP port to the public network in order to connect to the server correct?
If you are using BES, then you don't have to open up RDP ports to the outside world. Your BB RDP connection will come "from" your internal BES server.

For any more heavy-duty management, you may want to look into Idokorro's "Mobile Admin" product. In my experience, the RDP programs are somewhat clunky to use on a BB mainly due to the small screen size...
Old 07-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
Triforce66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatti View Post
If you are using BES, then you don't have to open up RDP ports to the outside world. Your BB RDP connection will come "from" your internal BES server.

For any more heavy-duty management, you may want to look into Idokorro's "Mobile Admin" product. In my experience, the RDP programs are somewhat clunky to use on a BB mainly due to the small screen size...
No BES, I am using BIS. (small consulting company)
Old 07-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Without a doing a whole lot of reseach I would say RDM+ require additional software installed on the target pc according to this link http://www.shapeservices.com/en/prod...whitepaper.php

Whereas the Idokorro Mobile Desktop does not require additional software.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #5
rockinsage
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130

Yes, RDM+ does require additional software to be installed on the PC (it uses a proprietary protocol RDM). TSMobiles requires no additional software on the PC and uses the RDP (Windows Remote Desktop Protocol) -- the same protocal as the MS PC-based remote desktop client. TSMobiles is from the same company that offers RDM+. I've been looking at these options for a few weeks and am planning on picking up TSMobiles shortly.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
Triforce66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinsage View Post
Yes, RDM+ does require additional software to be installed on the PC (it uses a proprietary protocol RDM). TSMobiles requires no additional software on the PC and uses the RDP (Windows Remote Desktop Protocol) -- the same protocal as the MS PC-based remote desktop client. TSMobiles is from the same company that offers RDM+. I've been looking at these options for a few weeks and am planning on picking up TSMobiles shortly.
But you need to forward the windows remote desktop port to the system still right?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
rockinsage

Model: 8130

Hi Triforce66,

I may be getting a little out of my league here, but if I'm understanding you correctly, then yes, I think you'd either have to open whatever port the MS RDP protocol uses, or tunnel over SSH (port 22?) and port-forward or whatever from there (I'm speaking from the context of using TSMobiles on the BB as the client). I thought that the RDP protocol was secure (well, as secure as anything can be), so I didn't think there was a need to use SSH. I know that it's very wise to use an SSH tunnel if you're using the VNC protocol.

I don't know if this answered your question, it might be best to contact Shape Services and Idokorro directly if you're concerned about security.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
bulldoggy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

RDM+ installs a video hook driver and a Windows service. No opening of ports which is helpful since I'm behind a corporate firewall. Works well for what I need.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
Triforce66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinsage View Post
Hi Triforce66,

I may be getting a little out of my league here, but if I'm understanding you correctly, then yes, I think you'd either have to open whatever port the MS RDP protocol uses, or tunnel over SSH (port 22?) and port-forward or whatever from there (I'm speaking from the context of using TSMobiles on the BB as the client). I thought that the RDP protocol was secure (well, as secure as anything can be), so I didn't think there was a need to use SSH. I know that it's very wise to use an SSH tunnel if you're using the VNC protocol.

I don't know if this answered your question, it might be best to contact Shape Services and Idokorro directly if you're concerned about security.
Rock, you are correct. I am looking to connect through ssh and tunnel in because I do not like the idea of opening the windows RDP port to the public. I guess part of my original question was is this possible with the BB? I know of a couple ssh applications but do any of them support tunneling / and or the RDP applications? With new windows exploits coming out every week, I would prefer to only open one port instead of multiple. (that and ssh allows you to secure copy and secure ftp with the same port).
Old 07-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
Triforce66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldoggy View Post
RDM+ installs a video hook driver and a Windows service. No opening of ports which is helpful since I'm behind a corporate firewall. Works well for what I need.
Sounds interesting, I will need to see the pricing since I would want to connect to multiple servers.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #11
roosterfish

Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell

What about VNC+?

Sorry to add yet a third option, but I'm looking for remote software as well. Just from reading, it looks like VNC+ can be used with Linux clients, while RDM+ is limited to Windows. I need to access both clients, and it looks like I will be giving VNC+ a try in the next few days. My main consern is that I've experienced speed issues with VNC in the past.

Does anyone use RDM+ to access a windows workstation, and then remote into a linux client from the workstation?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #12
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Just to clear things up, Idokorro Mobile Desktop support both the RDP protocol for windows and the VNC protocol all in one product with no server software required.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I can help answer them.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #13
DrFooMod2

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

SHAPE Services has a whitepaper[1] that compares RDM+, TSmobiles, and VNC+.

[1] SHAPE Services - Remote Access Tools
Closed Thread