BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
dmevis
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default OS Upgrade OverTheAir - BES Affected?

Please Login to Remove!

For other non-Storm Blackberry devices, when you upgrade the Operating System, you must reactivate your Enterprise Activation, which requires that I go ask my BES Administrator to set a new Password so enable the reactivation. My BES Administrator is not pleased with my Operating System upgrades.

With the Wireless Operating System upgrade that is available on the Storm, does the device still require that you reactivate the Enterprise Activation after an Operating System upgrade?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
dawiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 31394XXX
Carrier: Verizon

I suggest you desist from even thinking about this if your Administrator is not happy with your upgrades. As a matter of fact all BES users must contact their Administrators before modifying their device.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Devices attached to a BES cannot be activated over the air until the BES Admin allows it. So you can't do it OTA....
Old 06-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
scassel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawiz View Post
As a matter of fact all BES users must contact their Administrators before modifying their device.
While I believe your intentions were good, your statement is fundamentally incorrect. While it is always highly recommended to follow company policy, particularly if you want to keep your job, BES admin have the ability to allow or disallow functions from the server side. I am on a BES and I performed the OTA upgrade from .75 to .76 and it did not require me to be reactivated on the BES. My BES admin trusts in my abilities and so I am afforded more latitude with my device than most others within our organization.

You will never find me disagreeing that if the device belongs to the company or you are on a BES, you need to follow policy as it relates to both. But to say that all BES users must contact their admin before making changes to the handheld is a false statement.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by scassel View Post
I am on a BES and I performed the OTA upgrade from .75 to .76
No, you didn't. Verizon did not release .76 so it would not have been possible for you to upgrade to it OTA.
You probably upgraded from .65 to .75 OTA.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
scassel

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
No, you didn't. Verizon did not release .76 so it would not have been possible for you to upgrade to it OTA.
You probably upgraded from .65 to .75 OTA.
OK. I was wrong. Point of the matter is I did an OTA upgrade and did not have to reactivate on the BES. I am curious, as it looks by your signature that you are a BES admin, why you chose to correct my error in OS numbers and not the incorrect statement by dawiz? Seems odd...
Old 06-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
why you chose to correct my error in OS numbers and not the incorrect statement by dawiz? Seems odd...
I just saw this thread, and you already corrected it. What would be the point in repeating what you had already said?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
dawiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 31394XXX
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
My BES admin trusts in my abilities and so I am afforded more latitude with my device than most others within our organization.
Smiles...scassel don't kill penguin for my incorrect statement which you have corrected. I stand corrected in lieu of the word "must" it would have been more appropriate to say "should". But since you are speaking fundamentals...by your BES admin trusting in your abilities implies an informal agreement based on your technical ability and as such makes you one of the privilege few. "To every rule there is an exception".
Old 06-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
dmevis
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Still don't understand

Thank you for the replies. I thought I would add a bit more...

My Blackberry is my personal phone (that I own) and is connected to my companies BES. My company has pretty liberal IT Policies and so there is no problem with me upgrading my OS, installing applications, etc. It is just that I have to get someone in IT to manually re-set the synchronization password every time I do an OS upgrade. Since most IT types are lazy fu@&s I just don't want to have to "bother" them every time I upgrade my OS.

So I am still unclear... can I upgrade my OS over-the-air without having to have my IT intercede and re-set the password? Or, is there something I can ask IT to set on the BES that will eliminate this requirement?

Of course, this wouldn't be such a big issue if the Storm wasn't such a big POS!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post
Since most IT types are lazy fu@&s
I was actually going to help you until I got to this part... but now I think I'll just be lazy and stop typing here.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
scassel

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
I was actually going to help you until I got to this part... but now I think I'll just be lazy and stop typing here.
+1. dmevis - you will not go far on this site with comments like that, joke or not. These guys take time out of their day to help when they can and they do an outstanding job. Last thing you want to do is make a general statement bashing IT guys...
Old 06-13-2009, 05:50 AM   #12
arche3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon

Or just do it and see if you need to have the IT reset it. If you do you do. You call them (it;s their job after all isn't it?) If you don't you will have your original wish to not disturb them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post
Thank you for the replies. I thought I would add a bit more...

My Blackberry is my personal phone (that I own) and is connected to my companies BES. My company has pretty liberal IT Policies and so there is no problem with me upgrading my OS, installing applications, etc. It is just that I have to get someone in IT to manually re-set the synchronization password every time I do an OS upgrade. Since most IT types are lazy fu@&s I just don't want to have to "bother" them every time I upgrade my OS.

So I am still unclear... can I upgrade my OS over-the-air without having to have my IT intercede and re-set the password? Or, is there something I can ask IT to set on the BES that will eliminate this requirement?

Of course, this wouldn't be such a big issue if the Storm wasn't such a big POS!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
it;s their job after all isn't it?
I *might* be my job to support the BB users at my company, but if someone did something that they knew they were not supposed to, then it might take me a few days to get to them. We're all lazy, you know.