BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
konafrank

Model: 9800
Carrier: cingular/ATT ??
Default Blackberry Server DNS lookup issue

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone else experienced the following problem since Friday the 13th.

Since Friday some users attempting to send email from a valid e-mail account to my att.blackberry.net email account (no previous known problem) have been receiving messages back similar to the following (actual address removed):

<MyUSERNAME@att.blackberry.net>: host mx01.bis.na.blackberry.com[216.9.248.32] said: 451 #4.1.8 Domain of sender address <SenderUserName@Senderdomain.net> does not resolve (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

The sender continued to recieve these messages everytime their server attempted to resend the message. Messages from the same person to all others appeared to go through with no problem.

I suspect an att.blackberry.net lookup error but have been unable to verify. Any one else with this problem?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
crackie

Model: 71001
PIN: N/A
Carrier: nextel

yes i got this message this morning, but than again i wasent getting any emails for 3-4 hours on my nextel, it appears to be fixed now.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

This is standard feature of many anti-spam systems to verify sender doman by querying DNS to resolve it.

Contact admin of "Senderdomain.net" and ask them to fix DNS name resolution of their domain name.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

i'm on verizon and have been experiencing the same problem with a slightly different error... i can send emails from my vzw.blackberry.net address just fine, but when i try to send emails TO my blackberry.net account (from my gmail account, for example), i get the following error email back to my gmail:

------------------
The following message to <(my_address)@vzw.blackberry.net> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 <(my_address)@vzw.blackberry.net>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table'

Final-Recipient: rfc822;(my_address)@vzw.blackberry.net
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; [172.20.192.16]
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 <(my_address)@vzw.blackberry.net>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table' (delivery attempts: 0)
Old 03-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Berry One

This is different problem which is obvious from the error message: user (my_address) is not recognized.

Are you sure you are not making typo in your email address? I am getting same error trying to email (surely_fake_user_name)@vzw.blackberry.net

If you are sure no typos, the only help can come from call to Verizon customer support.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
This is different problem which is obvious from the error message: user (my_address) is not recognized.

Are you sure you are not making typo in your email address? I am getting same error trying to email (surely_fake_user_name)@vzw.blackberry.net

If you are sure no typos, the only help can come from call to Verizon customer support.
lol, my error message had my correct user name... i just replaced it with "(my_address)" to keep my actual address off a public forum ;)

the address in the actual error message is correct.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
Berry One

I understood what you have said, no LOL required.

Let me repeat: if you are sure you are making no typos in user part of your email address, the only help can come from call to Verizon customer support.

It appears BIS email servers do not recognize your email address.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
gckmac

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A

Folks - I was on the phone all evening with RIM technical support last night. The tech person ultimately concluded that problem may well be due to a recent upgrade by RIM of its BIS from version 2.5 to 2.6. The matter has been escalated.

I run a server and folks on my server have Blackberrys (BB). I use a BB as well. Working with RIM last night, we narrowed down the problem as such:

Email from a server account (using BB) to a non-server account works fine.
Email from a non-server account (using BB) to a server account works fine.
Email from a server account (using BB) to another server account fails with message Unknown Address Error.

Working with RIM tech and with our Message Filtering folks, we tried several options, including a more robust SPF record (to specify BB) and including inserting the entire range of BB IP addresses into our server whitelist and further we tried to create new post-2.6 upgrade email addresses.

When all of these efforts failed, RIM tech decided that the problem is likely due to the recent 2.6 upgrade of BIS. The matter has been escalated and I was promised a response within 48 hours. RIM is in fact using the 2 new test email addresses we created on our server to try to sort through the problem.

I will try to post here whatever I hear, though once RIM fixes the BIS (if that is the problem), then the issue should go away.

gckmac

Last edited by gckmac; 03-25-2009 at 11:07 AM..
Closed Thread