BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:02 AM   #1
agodfrin

Model: storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: SFR
Default java.lang.NullPointerException with net_rim_bb_qm_google (Google Talk)

Please Login to Remove!

My Storm cams preloaded with Google Talk. I never used it (actually never even knew it was there) until a few months ago when I went exploring my device and noticed it.

Foolishly I clicked the icon, which just failed with a java.lang.NullPointerException. It does not even prompt me with any setup questions.

I would not have cared less (I never really wanted to use it anyway) except that ever since, I am swamped with the same java.lang.NullPointerException over and over again (without me touching google talk)

It took me quite a while to relate the two facts together. What seems to happen is that whenever the network switches to any data support (like edge, gprs, 3G) google talk kicks in and fails with the java.lang.NullPointerException.

The trouble is that when I drive around, especially on long distances, the network switches back and forth between data and non-data modes. Then when I want to use the device for anything (including making or receiving a call), I must first click through the masses of exception messages that have piled up. Last time I did this, I had to click over 30 times before clearing the condition.

I just now want to get rid of google talk. But I cannot. I tried options/advanced/applications, but I see no option to delete the net_rim_bb_qm_google app. I also tried going to modules, but no luck either (I have no option to remove it).

Anyone has any suggestions ?

I tried the usual battery pull, but to no effect.
Closed Thread