BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: TMO
Default My ideal phone - upcoming or am I just dreaming?

Please Login to Remove!

I currently have a 7100t and my 1yr contract with TMO is almost up, so I'm looking for a new phone. My major issue with the 7100t is the voice quality and noise cancellation, which is a widely reported issue on 7100 phones, even if BB won't acknowledge it.

Is there an existing model or upcoming model from any manufacturer with these features?
1. GSM 900, 1800, 1900 (love being able to use my phone internationally)

2. Good voice quality and background noise cancellation - IMHO and in the opinion of many others in the 7100 forum, the 7100 does quite poorly in this regard

3. Microsoft Outlook compatible PDA features

4. Phone-like form factor similar or smaller in size relative to 7100 (no brick-like BBs for me)

5. QWERTY-like keyboard. BB Suretype with 2 keys per button works well enough for me, but I wouldn't move to a 3 key per button layout b/c it would be too slow for anything but very short emails

6. Push email (addicted to BB instant email), though if someone makes a pull email device that can check frequently without draining the batteries, I'd be interested

7. Ability to do stuff like copy and paste (which I read in these forums that the Motorola Q, based on Windows Mobile, cannot do - wtf, are they joking??? What year are we in 2006 or 1996?)

Nice to haves: speakerphone, bluetooth, EDGE

Anything like this soon to be available? Or do I need to wait a year or two?

My guess would be that it will be easier for BB to make a 7100-like device with good voice quality than it will be for other manufacturers to match the BB when it comes to keyboard, instant email, etc.

Last edited by serpico; 05-01-2006 at 04:18 PM..
Old 05-01-2006, 04:21 PM   #2
digital/blasphemy
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700g

perhaps upgrade the 7100 to 4.1 OS. I hear that fixes a lot of the noise issues
Old 05-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

...they are coming out with the 7130 at some point, although it'll initially be available from Cingular (I can see a TMO release later in the year).

the noise issues are mainly a poor design of the microphone container - really sucks and loses its insulation VERY soon after you get the handheld (if not before during manufacturering).

if you're wanting to move away from the BlackBerry product line, then there's not much (actually nothing) that meets your requirements - all handhelds/phones will fail in one of the more important categories.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
...they are coming out with the 7130 at some point, although it'll initially be available from Cingular (I can see a TMO release later in the year).

the noise issues are mainly a poor design of the microphone container - really sucks and loses its insulation VERY soon after you get the handheld (if not before during manufacturering).
Does the 7130 resolve the noise issues plaguing the 7100x phones?
Old 05-07-2006, 12:13 PM   #5
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Motorola Q

Motorola Q further delayed:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/tech/...n-moto02a.html

Given that Verizon does more extensive testing of their phones than TMO or Cingular, is it fair to hope that the GSM operators will have their own versions of the Q ready for sale as soon as Verizon's exclusivity period is over?

A GSM Q would seem to meet most of the feature set I'm looking for (from first post), dropping only the last 2 (and least important features to me).
Old 05-07-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

If you don't need push e-mail you should seriously be looking at something besides a BlackBerry. How about the T-Mobile MDA?
Old 05-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
If you don't need push e-mail you should seriously be looking at something besides a BlackBerry. How about the T-Mobile MDA?
Don't get me wrong - I love BB push email, but a device with frequent pulls that doesn't drain the battery would be acceptable. I'd be happy to trade a small delay in emails for much improved voice quality.

MDA is a good idea, but too bulky - thicker and heavier than the 7105.

Maybe I can hold out for a GSM version of the Q. I'm a bit wary of putting anything from MS on a phone though (already imagining getting a BSOD while on an important call).

Anyone here try a beta version of the Q? Boy Genius, what do you think?
Old 05-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Seems like Motorola has freshened up the Q over the year since first announced (even has EVDO now).
http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/6586.html

Could this be the answer for those of us that love everything about the BB but the voice quality?
Old 05-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Only if you don't want or need push e-mail.

** Truth in advertising ** I think Microsoft will one day "get" how to make a mobile OS. After all, Windows Mobile 5 is what, their 5th attempt, at least. But it isn't there yet. Certainly not with ush e-mail or simple integration with back end e-mail systems. Even Exchange 2003 is not quite there yet.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #10
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Only if you don't want or need push e-mail.
<snip>
NJBB, as I stated in my earlier reply, while I like push email, I don't need it.

What I need is a phone that allows me to answer callers when I'm outside or in a noisy environment without having the caller complain that they can't hear me clearly.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:45 PM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Can anyone recommend a phone that works in a noisy environment? I'm all ears.

Seriously - Motorola phones are fine. They've used the same software and menuing system for years. The Q, Razr and Slvr and just turns on the wheel.

And they all have problems of some sort. Battery life; noisy environment, crashing (hmm - ever used a Treo phone). The Treo 600 was the worst phone I ever used.

I'm not sure you will ever find anything that is 100% perfect. Sometimes you have to settle for good enough. For me, that chunky, PDA sized 8700g works perfectly.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #12
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico
Does the 7130 resolve the noise issues plaguing the 7100x phones?
the housing for the microphone chip looks much different on the 7130g pictures that were posted on BBHub than the 7100g, so i would assume that they did fix something. i can't verify that though.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:34 PM   #13
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a phone that works in a noisy environment? I'm all ears.
Noisy is a subjective term. No phone will work well in a nightclub, but I have used Motorola phones in the past that will work very well in an environment where my 7100 will pick up and transmit quite a lot of background noise to my caller. For example, walking down the street while cars are passing by - I find the 7100 to be unusable in this environment and tend not to answer the phone when I'm on the street. Never had a problem with old Motorola Startac in this environment.

Quote:
I'm not sure you will ever find anything that is 100% perfect. Sometimes you have to settle for good enough. For me, that chunky, PDA sized 8700g works perfectly.
In fact, I'm sure I will never find anything 100% perfect, which is why I stated that I am willing to trade-off some features (e.g., push) for others (e.g., good voice quality).
Old 05-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #14
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
the housing for the microphone chip looks much different on the 7130g pictures that were posted on BBHub than the 7100g, so i would assume that they did fix something. i can't verify that though.
Thanks jibi. Hopefully we'll get some confirmation as more folks buy the 7130e and post their experiences.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #15
TheRFGuy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile & AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico
Motorola Q further delayed:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/tech/...n-moto02a.html

Given that Verizon does more extensive testing of their phones than TMO or Cingular, is it fair to hope that the GSM operators will have their own versions of the Q ready for sale as soon as Verizon's exclusivity period is over?

A GSM Q would seem to meet most of the feature set I'm looking for (from first post), dropping only the last 2 (and least important features to me).
If Moto Q is on your consideration list, I would much prefer the Samsung i320 - better form factor, lighter and Samsung screens are known to have better displays than Motorola (having owned a V3i and V3x) and has a whopping 120MB build in memory!
Old 05-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #16
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRFGuy
If Moto Q is on your consideration list, I would much prefer the Samsung i320 - better form factor, lighter and Samsung screens are known to have better displays than Motorola (having owned a V3i and V3x) and has a whopping 120MB build in memory!
Thanks for the tip. Yeah, definitely better form factor: http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2907
Old 05-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #17
tarjan

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Sprint

Just use an Etymotic headset. I don't have enough posts to include the link, just google for er22 and the link will be slightly down on the page.

It is not an active noise canceling headset, rather it uses acoustics to automatically cancel noise by having a mic centered between multiple openings and the earpeice completely seals off your ear from the outside world. I have one, and use it with a variety of devices including blackberries while driving, working in noisy environments, at the airport, or wherever. Heck, I can take the top off the vette and not have anyone the wiser.

It is fantastic, though it is wired and it requires a bit more effort than just putting the phone to your face. I don't push many products, but everyone I know who has gotten one absolutely loves it.

It is worth every penny, and then some. No, I don't make a dime on their sales, just love the product. (Even have a set of ER-4p earphones)
Old 05-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #18
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarjan
Just use an Etymotic headset.
Thanks for the tip - I'll try it out. I've been using the standard headset that ships with the BB, which sucks, as does the BB mic by itself.

Does the standard plug on the headset fit the Blackberry or does it need an adapter?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:26 PM   #19
tarjan

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Sprint

Fits perfectly fine, standard 2.5mm plug. If you read the reviews you will find out how much people love it.

I'll warn you though, the feeling of it in your ear is a bit disconcerting at first but you will get used to it. It works with blackberry, treo and many of my other phones. I just wish it had a mute button on it, but thats easy enough to work around.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #20
FlyingElvis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I spoke to my Verizon rep. regarding the Q. He called it a dog at this point. Maybe after its been out awhile and they shake out the bugs, it'll be worth a look.

It is sexy though.
Closed Thread