BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 06:05 AM   #41
mechguy

Model: none

Please Login to Remove!

Boygenius, I have a question for you. I am trying to decide between the 7130e and the treo 700w and the new Q for myself. I have never had a blackberry or a smartphone/pda. I am looking for a reliable phone. Next I am looking for something I can surf the internet with and something I can connect to my laptop so I can surf at times from there. Is there one of these that might be better for me. Thank you for your input.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:52 AM   #42
delmarco
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9790
Carrier: T-Mobile

BB 8700c ftw!
motorola makes toys and fads not PDA/phones IMO!
Old 03-23-2006, 01:59 PM   #43
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T

I'm a huge motorola fan, there isn't one phone company I would take over motorola on any given day. To me they are the best. Can't stand nokia, etc. Saying that I would recommend something based on what you said, and it doesn't sound like instant email is that important to you. If it isn't then you have to decide what you like more, something quick and simple, with less software, less options, or something that is more expandable. Treo 700w is a little faster etc, but the Q makes more of a statement. Depends on your taste. Doesn't sound like the blackberry is that important to you and frankly I HATE the 7130...that might be just me tho. I would recommend trying out a smartphone and pocket pc and see what you like less software wise, not device wise and then make that decision

The Boy Genius Report
Old 03-23-2006, 02:07 PM   #44
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Default Genius, When will the AKU sp be out??

Will that be truly "push" e-mail like the blackberry or will i have to be content with every fifteen minutes like the treo 700. i just got rid of my treo and went with a razr from verizon and the 8700 from cingular, two devices are easier. From what i have been reading, sounds like i would not have gained much by waiting for the Q seeing as i amm also a freak for instant e-mail, work related anyway.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #45
HashGordon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Airtel

the two devices seem like a fun idea. iam bouto t get an 8700c. also have applied to a free V3 Razr giveaway on macandmobile.com just overly optimistic
Old 03-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #46
mechguy

Model: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
I'm a huge motorola fan, there isn't one phone company I would take over motorola on any given day. To me they are the best. Can't stand nokia, etc. Saying that I would recommend something based on what you said, and it doesn't sound like instant email is that important to you. If it isn't then you have to decide what you like more, something quick and simple, with less software, less options, or something that is more expandable. Treo 700w is a little faster etc, but the Q makes more of a statement. Depends on your taste. Doesn't sound like the blackberry is that important to you and frankly I HATE the 7130...that might be just me tho. I would recommend trying out a smartphone and pocket pc and see what you like less software wise, not device wise and then make that decision

Thanks for the help. Why do you not like the 7130?

I am looking for something that will be more of like a toy, my main thing is I want to be able to surf the intenet with the device and connect it possible to my laptop and use it as a phone also.I just cant decide with one to get.

Thanks

Last edited by mechguy; 03-23-2006 at 02:37 PM..
Old 03-23-2006, 05:31 PM   #47
TreyS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW
Exclamation

Quote:
No bias. If you only knew my phone collection it would scare you. I am posting from a Treo 700w now. Rumor has it RIM is working on a blackberry that will have an integrated camera so if you can hold out that might be a great device for you. If the camera was the only thing making you lean away from the blackberry I would go with the 700w with ActiveSync on an exchange server or even should I say it...Goodlink. While I would NEVER take it over a BlackBerry it does give you some flexibility with devices and the email is pretty good, not great but better than regular ActiveSync.

RIM rep was here, at my office last week, and said the same thing. A BB with integrated camera was on the way. I was more interested in when Verizon was going to release the 8700, he said don't count in it anytime soon. :(
Old 03-23-2006, 10:47 PM   #48
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyS
A BB with integrated camera was on the way.
Please God no!!!!!
Old 03-23-2006, 11:19 PM   #49
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

I don't know why everyone is so anti-camera. Obviously there will be models without a camera, BlackBerry will never leave that market, that is there bread and butter. But as a business to try and expand to new markets how is that a problem? Just don't buy one with a camera...I frankly have no need for MMS without a camera.

The Boy Genius Report
Old 03-23-2006, 11:53 PM   #50
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Default Genius, I'm starting to get a complex

Genius, i have tried to ask you several questions on this forum because you seem to be the goto guy and i see that you have made several post behind me with no response. I'm starting to get a complex, something i said???
Old 03-24-2006, 01:24 AM   #51
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
I don't know why everyone is so anti-camera. Obviously there will be models without a camera, BlackBerry will never leave that market, that is there bread and butter. But as a business to try and expand to new markets how is that a problem? Just don't buy one with a camera...I frankly have no need for MMS without a camera.
The reason why I am so anti-camera is because of the nature of my work. BlackBerry is the only device allowed in many of my worksites because it is the only brand that has no camera, and security personnel do not need to inspect a BB because they know it has no camera.

If RIM installed a camera in the BB, they would lose significant business in the public sector because places would begin to say no wireless devices at all, thus making it useless to many customers.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:21 PM   #52
ntjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
The reason why I am so anti-camera is because of the nature of my work. BlackBerry is the only device allowed in many of my worksites because it is the only brand that has no camera, and security personnel do not need to inspect a BB because they know it has no camera.

If RIM installed a camera in the BB, they would lose significant business in the public sector because places would begin to say no wireless devices at all, thus making it useless to many customers.
And they'll likely gain many more customers than they lose. I, for one, will be first in line. I have to carry my BB 24/7, and it sucks to not have many of the features that every other cell phone in the world has.

And honestly, and this is just my opinion, I seriously doubt they will lose very many customers just by adding a camera option. What other phone would these companies go to? They might get pissed, but I think the vast majority will just deal with it.

Just my opinion, though.

-Nate
Old 03-25-2006, 01:20 AM   #53
CanuckMakem
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 205DDA2C
Carrier: Rogers

http://promo.motorola.com/q/index.html

Looks like its out in April
Old 03-25-2006, 10:31 AM   #54
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior1790
Will that be truly "push" e-mail like the blackberry or will i have to be content with every fifteen minutes like the treo 700. i just got rid of my treo and went with a razr from verizon and the 8700 from cingular, two devices are easier. From what i have been reading, sounds like i would not have gained much by waiting for the Q seeing as i amm also a freak for instant e-mail, work related anyway.
Sorry, did not skip over your question purposely. If your using the AKU2.0 update with exchange service emails will be almost push meaning, say 20 seconds from the time the email is sent. If you are focused on INSTANT email I would stay with 8700, the Q will not have AKU2.0 out the box, it will be a later update.

The Boy Genius Report
Old 03-25-2006, 10:39 AM   #55
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

April release does sound right, lets see if they make it...

The Boy Genius Report
Old 03-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #56
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Default Thanks Genius

Sounds good, thanks for the info...
Old 03-25-2006, 04:22 PM   #57
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntjones
And they'll likely gain many more customers than they lose. I, for one, will be first in line. I have to carry my BB 24/7, and it sucks to not have many of the features that every other cell phone in the world has.

And honestly, and this is just my opinion, I seriously doubt they will lose very many customers just by adding a camera option. What other phone would these companies go to? They might get pissed, but I think the vast majority will just deal with it.

Just my opinion, though.

-Nate
Th United States Federal Government is the single largest customer of BlackBerry handheld devices in the world. If I camera is installed in them, RIM will likely lose the federal government as a customer. So no, they won't gain more than they lose. Sorry.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #58
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Your VERY wrong. Do you know how many government agencies use microsoft/palm products? They simply get one without a camera. Just because ford makes aston martins doesn't mean you feel like a cheap ass when you buy one right? There is NO security checkpoint I have ever seen that allows devices in just by saying OH its BLACKBERRY. They still CHECK the device. SO your completely wrong in that regards...I say gimme a friggin camera...NOW.

The Boy Genius Report
Old 03-25-2006, 07:21 PM   #59
ntjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
Th United States Federal Government is the single largest customer of BlackBerry handheld devices in the world. If I camera is installed in them, RIM will likely lose the federal government as a customer. So no, they won't gain more than they lose. Sorry.
They won't lose the feds. Saying one thing and actually doing it are not the same thing. They may be the largest single customer, but they are still the minority. Small business needs and wants will greatly outweigh those of the government. And small business customers want multimedia functions.

But even if they do lose the feds, who cares? Not RIM, thats for sure. I can almost guarantee you that RIM's analylists sat down and calculated what would occur should they add something like a camera. And they added up the projected losses and gains. And they probably came up with a VERY positive number.

Besides, IMHO, why should a few customers be able to dictate the future and direction of a given company? RIM wants to expand its user base, and multimedia is, and always was, inevitable. Email is great, but that will only carry them so far. It is only a matter of time before competitors like motorola, microsoft, etc. catch up to, and pass RIM.

Without innovation, RIM probably couldn't survive forever. The market is just too competitive.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:23 PM   #60
ntjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
There is NO security checkpoint I have ever seen that allows devices in just by saying OH its BLACKBERRY. They still CHECK the device.

Yea, I kind of wondered that myself. It was mentioned above that blackberrys are ok coming through the security checkpoint. So, they must have to actually look at it to know its a blackberry right? How much longer would it take to make sure that blackberry doesn't have a camera? An extra second or two?
Closed Thread