BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
thegreaterjoe

Model: 9330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Phone not charging properly. Need some help please.

Please Login to Remove!

I just signed up with Sprint last week and got a BlackBerry Curve 3G 9330. When I wasn't on the phone with someone, it charged just fine. But at night when I was talking on it and saw the battery was getting low (it was on the last bar of white) I would plug it in and it wouldn't charge. I kept taking the cord in and out of it and still couldn't get it to charge. So, I'd have to get off the phone and reboot my phone then I'd call back and it would charge. But then it would stop charging when the battery wasn't completely charged. So, Sprint told me they would replace it and sounded like the phone was defective.

Well, I got my replacement phone yesterday, and again when I wasn't talking on my phone it would charge without a problem. So, last night when I was talking on it for a while, I plugged in the cord just to see if it would charge and it seemed fine. Well, as I was still talking, the battery was getting low, again just one white bar, and I plugged the cord in and it wouldn't charge. I took the cord in and out of it again and then I got it to charge. I kept checking to make sure it was charging and it was then it stopped so I had to keep messing with it again and finally got it to charge and it continued to charge until the battery was full. And just a little while ago after hanging up the phone I plugged it back in and it wouldn't charge at all, I had to keep taking the plug in and out of the phone until I finally got it to charge.

I guess it's not the phone after all, unless I am getting bad phones sent to me by Sprint but I don't feel that is it. So, I was wondering if anyone could tell me why the charging is so screwy when I talk to someone. I really don't know what it could be. Thanks to anyone that can help me fix this issue.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Wolf_Dreams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreaterjoe View Post
I just signed up with Sprint last week and got a BlackBerry Curve 3G 9330. When I wasn't on the phone with someone, it charged just fine. But at night when I was talking on it and saw the battery was getting low (it was on the last bar of white) I would plug it in and it wouldn't charge. I kept taking the cord in and out of it and still couldn't get it to charge. So, I'd have to get off the phone and reboot my phone then I'd call back and it would charge. But then it would stop charging when the battery wasn't completely charged. So, Sprint told me they would replace it and sounded like the phone was defective.

Well, I got my replacement phone yesterday, and again when I wasn't talking on my phone it would charge without a problem. So, last night when I was talking on it for a while, I plugged in the cord just to see if it would charge and it seemed fine. Well, as I was still talking, the battery was getting low, again just one white bar, and I plugged the cord in and it wouldn't charge. I took the cord in and out of it again and then I got it to charge. I kept checking to make sure it was charging and it was then it stopped so I had to keep messing with it again and finally got it to charge and it continued to charge until the battery was full. And just a little while ago after hanging up the phone I plugged it back in and it wouldn't charge at all, I had to keep taking the plug in and out of the phone until I finally got it to charge.

I guess it's not the phone after all, unless I am getting bad phones sent to me by Sprint but I don't feel that is it. So, I was wondering if anyone could tell me why the charging is so screwy when I talk to someone. I really don't know what it could be. Thanks to anyone that can help me fix this issue.
Simple..... The battery is hot. While on a call, and being against your face and in your hand, the built-in battery temp sensor is restricting the ability to charge. Its dangerous to charge a hot Lithium Ion Battery

Get a bluetooth. You're arm and battery will thank you. Just keep it plugged in as you use it, and it won't get near as hot.

Just in case, if the charge indicator turns off (from heat). Take the battery door off and put the BB on its face, battery exposed, and it will cool down, and automatically resume charging when the temp drops.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 03-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
thegreaterjoe

Default Re: Phone not charging properly. Need some help please.

Ok, thanks, at least I know it's not the phone. I am not really sure how Bluetooth works. I've never used it before. I knew it had to do with using the ear phones that came with my phone. I plugged them into the phone and was able to hear out of them when making a call. Then, I went to the book to see how to set up bluetooth followed the instructions but then got stuck when it asked to search for device and said no device was found.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
thegreaterjoe

Ok I understand that I don't have a bluetooth device after doing some reading online. I have earphones that came with the phone, if I was to use those while charging the battery while talking would that help it from getting so hot?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
thegreaterjoe

Also, what about a new kind of battery that wouldn't get as hot?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Carrier: T-Mobile

The OEM (original equipment manufacturer ie: Blackberry) Li-on battery is going to be the best choice for your new phone

The corded earphones are just fine for what you and wolf_dreams were talking about, also if you use them for awhile you'll discover you can control your phone (hang up, answer incoming, etc) with the button (s) on the voice box of the chord.

PS: You might look into getting an extra battery and a stand alone charger (one that plugs into the wall and accepts the battery inserted into it for independent charging) That is what I use and when I come home at night I just pull the used battery, stick it into the wall charger, put the charged one in the phone, and I never have a low battery.

Last edited by jaszman; 03-30-2011 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: PS
Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
thegreaterjoe

I will try using the earphone piece to see if that helps. Even when the phone isn't charging it still gets pretty hot. I was thinking the same thing, buying some spare batteries and I will also check out the charger you were talking about as well. Thanks for all the help, I greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Batteries and charger are pretty cheap ($6 - $15) online at ebay, check it out
Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

When you drain a LI battery that low it only takes a few times and it wont charge properly. As suggested a second battery may help but not much will prevent it from getting hot if your on it to the point it has only one bar. You may be in a no win situation if your using it that much.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
thegreaterjoe

I have a couple more questions. First, can the battery blow up if it gets too hot even while the phone isn't being charged?

Second of all, if I was to get a different kind of battery for my phone, one that wouldn't get so hot, can it be for any curve phone or does it have to be for the same model of my phone which is a curve 3g 9330.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #11
thegreaterjoe

I had the same kind of battery in my Samsung phone before the BB and it would get pretty warm but never had a problem charging while on the phone. What makes the Blackberry's any different if it's the same type of battery in almost all cell phones?
Old 04-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
thegreaterjoe

Why does the BB get so hot?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
tsac
BlackBerry God

Are you reading the posts? The battery is getting hot because of use. It was suggested you try using a different method to talk but if you use it constantly it will get hot. As for the battery blowing up, maybe, any LI battery that is damaged can short out and if you remember the recalls on PC batteries, it was possible. Also I think I remember reading about another cell phone having similar issues. I have not heard of this issue with a blackberry.
On another note, You really need to consider the amount of time your spending on a cell phone. If you are on for hours or constantly you may want to reduce the time and use a land line. I know, no proof of any medical issues but neither is the water in Japan now.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Joe, just like tsac was saying, sometimes if a blackberry batter is ever completely discharged (no power left and the phone shuts down) it will do damage to the battery. It will overheat while charging, and never take a full charge again.

Some times you just have to bite the bullet, and accept that it might be beyond repair. I have a battery that no longer takes a full charge and if I use it I will not get 1/2 of the hours of use that the newer batteries give.

When you shop for new batteries on line watch out for really cheep ($2-$4) ones from China, they are not OEM (Original Blackberry) batteries, even though they say they are. They will not work as well, or last as long as OEM.

When you get your new batteries remember it is alway better to top off a half charged battery than letting it run down low before charging, it will never hurt a li-on to recharge it even if it is nearly full.

When a battery is damaged even an independent wall charger will cycle off when the battery is hot. Damaged ones get hot when charging, and they discharge really fast, so just write it off and toss it.

By the way, the Blackberry smartphone is the best power management phone out there. No other smartphone comes close to the battery life of a Blackberry, so when it comes to battery life you are already using the best.

Last edited by jaszman; 04-01-2011 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Blackberry power management
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
tsac
BlackBerry God

Want to bet he asks again
Old 04-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
thegreaterjoe

Tsac, first of all I don't appreciate your sarcasm. Yes, I was reading the posts. I know a lot of people who use their Blackberries constantly for hours and there's will charge no matter how hot they get. I can be on mine for 30 minutes tops and mine gets so hot to the point where it feels like my hand is on fire. I was just wanting to make sure it was normal. I am new to Blackberry phones. I asked a simple question cause I have had many other cell phones that I have talked on for hours and they never got hot and was only wondering why the BB's get hot unlike other cell phones. I get it so don't effin worry about me coming back to this forum. I went to another forum anyway and they told me something different. Didn't say one thing about it being the battery. I was just wanting to get opinions, either it's the battery or it isn't. I'm done here.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
tsac
BlackBerry God

Ouch
Ok, when you ask questions on any forum you will generally get a reply to the question. Some people keep trying until they get the answer they want and you appeared to be doing that. The battery on any electronic device if drained at a high level will heat. It was suggested you reconsider the amount of time your spending on the phone. Like it or not those are the facts. You can certainly try different forums and I'm sure you will get different answers.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Joe, sorry to hear your not happy with the responses you've been given.

I understand you got different answers from different places, I have too. In the end you just have to try all the responses you get to see if they work, and hopefully fix you problem without costing you a bundle.

Batteries are a pretty common problem, (we've all buried box'es of them) and I can tell you that both tsac and I have both had the identical problem you've got only to find out that they are shot beyond any help for one reason or another.

I hope you'll find that in the end the best, and cheapest solution to your problem is like we've tried to show you.

1) Replace the damaged battery with at least 2 OEM ones and a independent wall charger.

2) Change how you charge your batteries by doing what I do. Always have one charged and ready, I even carry an extra in my wallet at work because I see a lot of phone use there and trying to charge with the phone is in the end both inconvenient and with all my use not good for my phone or batteries.

If in the end you try what we have said you will find your batteries will last longer, and will not get as hot as they have in the past.

I hope you'll take our word for this and not have to burn up a new phone and several batteries like I did to learn this. If you read my old posts (or in tsac case read his old, old, old, old, old, really, really old posts LOL) to see we've all been there and done that.

Last edited by jaszman; 04-02-2011 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: lol
Old 04-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #19
tsac
BlackBerry God

Hey! the kitty does not have a gray beard!!! LOL
Closed Thread