Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
dangermouse501

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodaphone
Angry Handheld Application Loader Wizard has stopped working

Please Login to Remove!

Just bought a new Blackberry 9000 and I'm getting problems (I have version 4.6.0.126) on an unlocked phone.

After installing the desktop software 4.7 on Vista Ultimate and connecting the blackberry via USB, the software tries to do an update of the device software (I'll point out at this stage that this problem also occurs when initiating an update manually). It then brings up a recommendation to upgrade to 4.6.0.185 with a tick already in the box. I click next and it says, "Search for available device software" and then all of a sudden a Microsoft Window pops up saying:-

The text inside the box says:-

"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you is a solution is available"

The only option then is to click the Close program button which closes the program. Although the desktop manager still exists albeit with an error saying, "A fatal error has occured while updating your device's software. Please try again"

I have tried everything from running in XP compatibility mode (since the blackberry OS download area does not say whether it's vista compatible or not) to running as administrator. I've tried closing other programs but to no avail.

Anybody got any ideas because the people I bought it from (do a google for affordablemobilephones dot co do uk) do not respond to their emails. And their phone line is always engaged. Usual take your money and don't bother to answer phone when things go wrong.

I'm also angered at the fact that blackberry like to buck pass problems and provide no simple way of contacting them. This is it basically. Spent over £400 for this. Effing sh^&te or what.

Anyway, before I rant on: why I am trying to upgrade the device software is because guess what? WIFI drops out 90% of the time. Bluetooth doesn't show anything up in the options, add device (even though it's paired). And in the advanced options, GPS, LAT and LONG show zero all the time so I'm not sure if that is working either. All in all, a totally crap experience of blackberry. If I don't get a response to somebody soon this thing is going back for a refund ASAP. You probably figured I'm really pi%^ed at this.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
mark.baker
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Ummm....have you tried using Desktop Manager 4.6? I have heard of various problems with DM 4.7, so I myself have stayed clear of it for the moment. I personally have been using DM 4.6 on Windows XP and Vista with my bold and have never had a problem updating.

Sure, DM 4.6 may not be the "latest and greatest" version of DM, but for me it holds true to the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." :p
Old 01-08-2009, 04:17 AM   #3
hitty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Hi All
This error also pops up when trying to Auto update your O2 UK device firmware using Desktop Manager 4.7. According to O2 UK, this is because their firmwares are on their own site and not RIMs. Have had no issues using this new feature with Vodafone UK devices (whose updates are on RIMs site).

Historically you had to download the necessary firmware update from your Mobile Network homepage or BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites, then install it and run Desktop Manager.

With the new auto update feature of DM 4.7 this is no longer necessary. It will automatically pop up a message if a new firmware is available for your device each time you plug your BlackBerry to the computer.
Gives you the option to Update, then the same options as before to select which apps you want to install, downloads the appropriate modules for it and automatically installs it on the device.
In all takes approx 10-20minutes to download and another 10-20minutes to update the device.