Old 09-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
MYWallace

Model: curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02
Default Docs to go standard - in an enterprise

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there,

Over the weekend I upgraded our BES to 4.1.6. Then I upgraded my handheld (curve 8310) to the latest official OS from the 02 UK network (v4.5.0.55)

HTML email works and remote mail searching works. Great.

Then I thought I'd have a look at Docs to Go. Firstly, I have to register. Annoying but fine. Once registered, I noticed an update was available offering Sheet to Go. Annoying but fine. I downloaded the update and rebooted the device. When I receive an email with an attachment, for example a word document, I have the option of "View" or "Edit with documents to go". If I "View" it opens in the BlackBerry default viewer, if I "Edit with documents to go" it views in docs to go. Annoying but fine.

I noticed the new policies in BES to control whether the user see's the premium features link and whether they see the ability to register.

My issue is I am the admin for 30 BlackBerrys and I'm planning to upgrade them to 4.5. I'm happy to do this manually, but once upgraded I don't want to have to register and then upgrade the docs to go software on each one. I don't want to have to register at all but that's the only way to get the upgrade. If you visit the DataViz website and manually login and choose to download docs to go standard all you get is a link in your email to an over the air install. If I could get the latest files I could easily install the latest version when I upgrade the handhelds to 4.5

Am I totally missing something obvious here. Is there an offline version of the latest 1.002 docs to go files?

Also, is it possible to set docs to go as the default viewer when I simply choose "view" on an attachment?

Regards

Mike.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
MYWallace

Model: curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02

A follow up. 50 people have read this and no comments?? Are there no other Admins out there who have/will come across this problem. Some companies have hundreds of BlackBerry devices and I have no idea how they all expect to get around these problems.

Anyway, due to the lack of responses I check the DataViz website and found a few answers.

Firstly, the menu choices you get when you click "open attachment" is expected. Seems you can't change the default viewer - you have to click "Edit with Documents to go" in order to get any attachment to view using this application.

Regarding updating my fleet of 30 devices, I have found a link to the download of 1.002 on the DataViz website. I'm unable to post links on this forum for some reason, so I've edit the link below (I'm sure you can work out the unedited link). Just put h.t.t.p. and two forward slashes at the front of this:

download.dataviz.com/support/patches/documentstogo/blackberry/documentstogo1002_ota.zip

(although I haven't tested this install package yet).

Hopefully I can apply this install to after upgrading each device to 4.5 and remove the 'register' link from within docs to go via an IT policy.

Good luck if you are also in this position.

Mike.
Closed Thread