Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
shpuntik

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Turning off the shutter sound - 8328

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys,

Tried looking for a answer to this question but couldn't find one.

How do I turn off the camera shutter sound?? Even if you set the profile to "OFF", it still makes a sound while trying to take a picture.

Thanks in advance, BTW I'm writing this post off my Curve, I love this thing

-Dmitriy
Old 09-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Welcome to BB Forums.

You can't turn off the camera sound.
Some people have developed a difficult workaround - not a hack - which can be found by searching on "camera sound" or "camera click".
Old 09-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Make a call to 611 or voicemail and take the picture. Give it a try
Old 09-27-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

or plug in a headset.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
bchelms
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

didn't they make some kind of law that said all camera phones now had to have the shutter sound? basically so people wont be taking spy pics in changing rooms..
Old 09-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchelms View Post
didn't they make some kind of law that said all camera phones now had to have the shutter sound? basically so people wont be taking spy pics in changing rooms..
I've never heard of that. It seems to be easy to beat if you just plug in the wired headset the phone comes with.

Dave
Old 09-27-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchelms View Post
I dont think that one exists. And honestly I don't see the big deal of someone wanting to mute the camera sound. If you want to take covert pics there are a lot of better choices than a BB.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
AlexKidd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydbrown View Post
I dont think that one exists. And honestly I don't see the big deal of someone wanting to mute the camera sound. If you want to take covert pics there are a lot of better choices than a BB.
BUT, they usually aren't right at hand at the exact moment you want to use them - unlike your Blackberry. It seems plausible to me. Having to hook in your wired headset may give a temporary fix, but you'll have to admit that's a terrible nuisance to have to keep them with you wherever you go just to eliminate the camera sound.

--Kidd
Old 09-27-2007, 11:00 PM   #9
TimW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

South Korea passed a law requiring that all camera phones have a shutter sound that cannot be turned off

http://techdirt. com/articles/20031111/099242. shtml

(remove the spaces when you cut/paste the link)
Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKidd View Post
BUT, they usually aren't right at hand at the exact moment you want to use them - unlike your Blackberry. It seems plausible to me. Having to hook in your wired headset may give a temporary fix, but you'll have to admit that's a terrible nuisance to have to keep them with you wherever you go just to eliminate the camera sound.

--Kidd
Like I said in an above post, make a phone call take a pic and no shutter sound. Quick, Easy and nothing to carry.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
zlee1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
I've never heard of that. It seems to be easy to beat if you just plug in the wired headset the phone comes with.

Dave
This is not true, I wish it were.
The only way to defeat the shutter sound, Dial your voice mail, make sure the volume is all the way down and take your picture. By the time you have accomplished this, you'll probably miss your photo op anyway.This drastically slows the phone down. It 's not too bad if you purchase a data card.

There has been endless discussion about whether this was done to abide by a law. All I have to say, why can one shut off the shutter in virtually every other competitor phone out there? I played with the brand new Razr 2, and I found the option to shut off the sound. The Treo required some monkey business, but I accomplished it.

There are legitimate reasons to disable the shutter sound. I very often visit competitor's locations and photograph product displays and pricing. I have even been able to photograph a known pickpocket without being noticed. The police were able to find the guy.

I really don't know why RIM did this to us. Had I known before I fell in love with this phone, I probably would have not purchased it. I wonder if it could be resolved with a software upgrade.

In case you haven't noticed, I really HATE this feature.

Last edited by zlee1; 09-28-2007 at 11:34 AM..
Old 09-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #12
Nerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

I believe this has to do with much of the development of the Blackberry being based on feedback from IT security moguls, RIM's biggest customers.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:11 AM   #13
Hemiolia
Thumbs Must Hurt

I absolutely cannot believe just how much this question gets asked.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:04 AM   #14
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB

I work for a local college, and have friends that are teachers in high school. My friend has problems in school where guys take their cameras and take pics up girls skirts, or in bathrooms. It even happens in a college environment. I have seen people pretend like they are talking on the phone, when they are really taking pictures.

It is sad that common decency does not stop people from doing these things on their own. So in light of that ... the shudder sound is a law someon should pass here. I like the requirement of not only a sound, but also an LED that blinks next to the camera lens when you are in the camera app so that people know when a picture is about to be taken.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #15
AlexKidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopus View Post
It is sad that common decency does not stop people from doing these things on their own. So in light of that ... the shudder sound is a law someon should pass here. I like the requirement of not only a sound, but also an LED that blinks next to the camera lens when you are in the camera app so that people know when a picture is about to be taken.
Agreed 100%.

--Kidd
Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #16
Hock

Carrier: t-mobile

I'm in court all the time, and I really need to totally silence my BB. I would like a total mute option...no trackball click, no camera noise, everything silent. (although I haven't had a need to take a camera in court...YET!) Then when I walk out of court I can easily just go to a normal profile.

My old TREO 650 was totally silent when you silenced it with flip of a switch.

Last edited by Hock; 10-12-2007 at 11:03 AM..
Old 10-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #17
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

And now an attorney with the same issue.

eh, don't most judges dictate whether or not they allow cellphones, PDAs and BBs "on" in their court? Since that is the discretion of the court (to take pictures in the courtroom), you obviously need permission there.

If there are rules against such in your courts, and you just must evade them, you can see the workarounds posted here.

Last edited by JSanders; 10-12-2007 at 11:08 AM..
Old 10-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #18
AlexKidd

My guess is that he'll next say that the BlackBerry is permitted as long as it's silent and that if he can't disable the shutter sound then it would not be permitted for camera use.

The trackball has a kind-of rolling sound to it because it sits loose in the socket to facilitate smooth function (the old stiff balls were uncomfortable to use so RIM changed it.) As a result, they have a bit of a sound to them when you scroll even if you turn off the scroll clicking in the OS. It's a fact of life that must be lived with - or you can try switching back to an older BlackBerry with the trackwheel. An engineering type might try to go in and modify it somehow to reduce it's sound, but most would not go to that trouble.

The fact of the matter is, these two minor sounds are in 99.9% of situations, absolutely no problem which is why RIM picked to go that way.

--Kidd
Old 10-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #19
fourthaye
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Tmobile

Originally Posted by nuopus View Post

EVER READ 1983?

WHY NOT JUST TELL PEOPLE TO NOT BE IN COMPROMISING SITUATIONS IN PUBLIC? WHY NOT TRACK PEOPLES PICTURES AND TICKET THEM WHEN IT IS DEEMED AS "INAPPROPRIATE".

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU SHEEP!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #20
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthaye View Post
EVER READ 1983?

WHY NOT JUST TELL PEOPLE TO NOT BE IN COMPROMISING SITUATIONS IN PUBLIC? WHY NOT TRACK PEOPLES PICTURES AND TICKET THEM WHEN IT IS DEEMED AS "INAPPROPRIATE".

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU SHEEP!
lol, what's blew up your skirt, Shirley?

No, I never read 1983. Never heard of it.

1984, yea.

And will you please kill the ALL CAPS shouting? Very rude on forums.

Thanks.
Closed Thread