BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
Heyjoojoo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default Delete all contacts on SIM card...

Please Login to Remove!

Is this possible? The address book on the phone is clear but would also want to clear the addresses on the SIM card. I know I could do a reset but would rather not do that if there's another way to remove contacts from the SIM.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
H3LLFIRE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyjoojoo
Is this possible? The address book on the phone is clear but would also want to clear the addresses on the SIM card. I know I could do a reset but would rather not do that if there's another way to remove contacts from the SIM.
Open up your 8800's Address Book. Click the BB Menu button. Choose SIM Phone Book. Highlight the entries you wish to delete. Choose the delete option from the BB Menu or simply press the Delete key. I'm not sure you can do a full group deletion of all your contacts at once, but this at least allows you to get the job done, albeit one contact at a time.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Heyjoojoo

Yeah, I knew how to do that. I just didn't want to have to do that to 175 contacts... eeek... I may have to do a sim card reset - I really dont want to do that but may have to...
Old 03-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
H3LLFIRE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyjoojoo
Yeah, I knew how to do that. I just didn't want to have to do that to 175 contacts... eeek... I may have to do a sim card reset - I really dont want to do that but may have to...
Yeah, I had a feeling you had a whole bunch of contacts you wanted to get rid of. I looked everywhere but couldn't find a way to do a Delete All. Maybe someone else in the forum can chime in and help you out. Sorry.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
mortys11
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: rogers

is there a way to copy contacts to sim card from bb contact?
Old 03-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

You can delete all the contacts by using the backup/restore on the desktop manager. There's an option to select an individual database and delete all entries.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
Heyjoojoo

Okay. Hard reset DID NOT work but it did reset all settings on the phone. It, however, left the SIM card as is - which is what I didnt want...

Hmmm... is there any reason why removing all the contacts on the SIM card is such a hard thing to do and/or the instructions are elusive? strange to me.. it seems that it should be a simple task, no?

675 contacts that are no good.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:08 AM   #8
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I'm not sure why you thought the device wipe would erase the SIM card. The SIM card is separate from the BB in that regard. The BB doesn't really use the SIM for much of anything so it shouldn't be surprising that there aren't sophisticated SIM tools on the BB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaslow
You can delete all the contacts by using the backup/restore on the desktop manager. There's an option to select an individual database and delete all entries.
Um, that won't touch the SIM card either.

Last edited by takeshi; 03-24-2007 at 01:12 AM..
Old 03-24-2007, 01:17 AM   #9
Heyjoojoo

Well, silly me, I suppose. I just expected that a hard reset would erase the SIM too, thinking that the BB somehow had a holistic affect on the everything else BB related, including the SIM.

Any other suggestions?
Old 04-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
picapiedra

Model: 7290
PIN: 23D107D1
Lightbulb

I just sucked it up and deleted over 550 SIM contacts. Muscle memory kicks in after repeating the keystrokes enough times.

I might also suggest going in to your service provider. They have a card reader/writer that they can use to wipe it.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:44 AM   #11
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
(edited for focus)The SIM card is separate from the BB in that regard. The BB doesn't really use the SIM for much of anything so it shouldn't be surprising that there aren't sophisticated SIM tools on the BB.
Sorry Takeshi. But are you NUTS?! the SIM card is the gateway to ALL things the BB is capable of.
1> Phone Number
2> Services that the phone plan is setup for on the switch according to IMSI
3> Missing services on the switch are shown up in LIVE view on the BB unit.
NOTE:> Push Services if not provisioned on the switch your your SIM/IMSI not gonna work on your BB or any other GSM core based device.

I thought you knew all of this, and as such would not make such a common wide sweeping general statement like you did. Shocking j/k.

It is VERY surprising that the BB doesn't utilize the core function of the SIM card database. But then again its not based on security, because the same failings (inability to mass save all contacts to sim, erase sim wide sweeping) are on the Danger/Tmobile Sidekick. Current 32k (old)/64k SIM cards - the most common don't have the ability to save so much contact information we're used to in BB units. Sure other phone manufacturers found a work around buts its still messy.

ie SonyEricsson
(cleanest I've seen yet)
Typical/w (for WOrk contact)
555-5555
Typical/h (for Home contact)
555-5555
Typical/e (for Email contact)
[email address]

I'm wondering if in OS 5 this will ALL change if it supports N.A. 3G along with newer use of USIM cards with more than 100MB memory within them.

However Delete ALL from SIM is a basic function & should be there.
I'd like to see a "copy to Media Card" function here though, with a possible GAB (OutlooK) name listing restriction from the BES, even if user saved the Surname, First name to the contacts listing in outlook it will not take it. And thus since the Media Card is encrypted can be secure for the company as well.
Closed Thread