John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
I hope this is true. I'm not getting my hopes up. I was kind of thinking RIM held off on adding the ability to capture video in hopes of enticing people to buy new phones.
It's true. RIM has said 4.3 will incorporate Video for the Curve. It's definitely, postively, absolutely true. The Curve will get video.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:07 AM   #22
quattrocs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: TB
PIN: you want it, then ask
Carrier: Verizon

curious if the no flash icon means you can turn the led on for dark video recording or maybe even that flashlight option....one can only wish

7105t, 8320, 9530, 9550, Now Thunderbolt BES Admin, LAN Admin, CAD Manager
wished i had invested in rim stock when it was $5
Old 11-10-2007, 01:18 AM   #23
perpetualjon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A

OO!! turning the flash LED into a flashlight would be pretty nice. Actually the integrated voice recorder might also be a nice feature since I currently use a 3rd party app for that... Then again, I don't know if RIM will somehow out-do what I already have...
Old 11-10-2007, 05:37 AM   #24
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Bwow chica bwow wow
Old 11-10-2007, 06:59 AM   #25
ikasen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHawk3 View Post
Bwow chica bwow wow
What you said!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:52 AM   #26
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Details

This article profiles the main changes to BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.

SureType® Enhancements
Word Completion

As BlackBerry smartphone users type, a list of word options is displayed when the BlackBerry smartphone user pauses. The vertical list consists of word selections that are the closest match to the word the BlackBerry smartphone user is trying to type. The BlackBerry smartphone user may then select the word.
Advanced Editing
BlackBerry smartphone users may now scroll to a word they want to correct and move between specific letters by rolling the trackball up or down to flip between letters.
Improved Frequency Learning
Commonly used words are recognized with greater consistency.
Wireless BlackBerry Device Software Upgrades
BlackBerry smartphone users can wirelessly upgrade their BlackBerry smartphone.
Voice Notes
BlackBerry smartphone users can record voice notes using the Voice Notes feature. Voice notes can be sent using the following:
  • Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) messages
  • email messages
  • personal identification number (PIN)
  • instant messaging
The BlackBerry smartphone user may also store the recorded voice note locally for playback at a later time. For more information on Voice Notes, see KB05452.

Note: BlackBerry Messenger supports this feature with BlackBerry Device software 4.2.1.
Selectable Phone Equalizer
Adjust the audio to best suit the BlackBerry smartphone user listening preference. Listening preferences include:
  • Normal
  • Boost Bass
  • Boost Treble
For instructions on improving phone call quality, see KB14258.

Enhanced Voice IT Policy Controls
IT Policies may be used to manage voice usage. A whitelist (always allow) and blacklist (never allow) of phone numbers can be created.
  • Ability to Allow Ability to Control International Calls - allow or deny international calls received to the BlackBerry smartphone.
  • Ability to Allow or Deny by Area Code and Single Numbers - create Allow or Deny calling lists by area code and single numbers.
BlackBerry® Maps Enhancements
Points of Interest

Using the Local Search menu option, search for local businesses and landmarks within a 30 kilometer radius of the current location. For instructions, see KB14271.
Route Saving
Routes from one location to another may be saved for later viewing. For instructions, see KB05451.
Multimedia Enhancements
Send and receive video files using MMS

Attach video files to MMS messages, and play video files received using MMS. For more information, see KB14268.
3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) Progressive download
Allows streaming and playback of media from web sites on the BlackBerry smartphone using the browser.
3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) Progressive download
Allows streaming and playback of media from web sites on Wi-Fi® enabled BlackBerry smartphones.
Music playlist support in the Media application
Create and edit playlists (in .m3u format) directly in the Media application on the BlackBerry smartphone.
Video recording
BlackBerry smartphone users can record video using the Camera by selecting the Video Camera icon. The following options may be selected to control settings:
  • Video light - brightens dark environments to improve video recording
  • White balance - control white balance of the camera; options include Automatic, Indoor, and Sunny
  • Video format - use normal mode (240X180) or lower quality MMS mode (176X144)
  • Store videos - decide where to save video files

Browser Enhancements
The start page accommodates easier navigation and displays the five most recently visited bookmarks. If the BlackBerry smartphone user clicks Bookmarks or History, they are redirected to a dedicated screen, respectively.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #27
fourthaye
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmobile

So no word support via documents to go as rumored previously? :-/
Old 11-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #28
John Clark
BBF Moderator

That's coming too....Not sure why it's not listed.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #29
fourthaye
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Tmobile

Awesome. It would be great if this set the stage for a future update to allow excel support as well!
Old 11-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #30
luc-mobile
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Claro

Call me a wet blanket, but I am not very excited. 240X180 video? Pffft! Thanks, but no, thanks.

What I really would like to see is improvements to the existing features. MORE keyboard shortcuts, for example. That's what made me buy a Blackberry in the first place.

I sorely miss a keyboard shortcut to adjust the camera's white balance, which is so important to photo quality and is buried inside [a menu + a scroll + back + Save.] Taking pictures in several light conditions is quite a hassle because of that.

Pressing Shift+Space to scroll up is such a pain. Why not use the Symbol key? It's unused most of the time, in scrollable but not editable screens.

The Delete key also has no function in a few random spots where there are items that could be deleted.

Why can't I import multiple addresses from a vCard file?

Music file seeking. Sometimes I want to go back a couple of seconds in a podcast or audio book. Having to go back TWO MINUTES or nothing is not helpful.

More shortcuts in dialogues and applications. When I activate the browser's GoTo feature and highlight an address, letter E should Edit it right away. O in the Mail application should bring up Options. E when viewing a contact should let me Edit it. N or Space in the Notepad entry list should create a new entry already.

All the browser options should be in one single item, so when we press O, we see all of them already, no branching. Or even better, assign specific configuration combinations like Enable Javascript + Enable Tables + Emulation Mode to certain Web sites and have the browser remember those settings.

In all configuration changing screens, the green CALL key or the S key could be a shortcut for SAVE. Hitting BACK, then scrolling to OK (which never is the default) then pressing the trackball has long become a nuisance to me.

Quote:
The start page accommodates easier navigation and displays the five most recently visited bookmarks. If the BlackBerry smartphone user clicks Bookmarks or History, they are redirected to a dedicated screen, respectively.
Nah! Being able to add URLs to the Quick Dial feature would be 10 times better. Hold G and launch Google, for example.

And FASTER REBOOT!!!

Summing up, I want things that improve my everyday usability of the phone, not something to brag about among friends like "sure, it does video". 240X180 video? Come on... At that resolution, photos are just as good (or better) unless you're recording something that you intend to use in court.

I liked to read about Word Completion and Advanced Editing and the phone call white/black lists. That's usability.

It's not such a tall order. The Blackberry does a lot of similar things already. It's just a matter of refining what we have instead of bringing more unrefined stuff along.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #31
CMatthews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: ??????
Carrier: Verizon 9630, 9650, 9550/AT&T 9000, 9700, 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by luc-mobile View Post

Nah! Being able to add URLs to the Quick Dial feature would be 10 times better. Hold G and launch Google, for example.

And FASTER REBOOT!!!
I would like to see both of these, especially the bookmark quick dial.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:13 PM   #32
jimdarcy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

nothing about enabling streaming audio, anybody got any info on that?
thanks

Last edited by John Clark; 11-10-2007 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: no need to quote the entire post
Old 11-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #33
ivanfrost

PIN: 242ac71f

I am soo glad that we are going to get to record video and audio, I thought it might of been a hardware issue and was going to return the curve... Pleased even tho i still dont know how to use it...!!!!

btw anyone know why my call logs always automatically get erased... really starting to irritate me!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:26 PM   #34
John Clark
BBF Moderator

A quick stroll through the FAQ's turned up the info below.

Why is my BlackBerry losing its call logs or message logs? - BlackBerryFAQ

How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ

Additionally, do you have any 3rd party apps loaded to the device?
Old 11-18-2007, 09:36 PM   #35
luc-mobile
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Claro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanfrost View Post
I am soo glad that we are going to get to record video and audio
If you want to record audio, I recommend VR+. You can send your recording as voice messages by e-mail in MP3 format. It surely beats the hell out of typing.

The 4.3 OS update will let us send the recordings by e-mail, but probably in AMR format only, which is very inconvenient. I've sent test voice messages to a few friends who have Windows in their computers and about half of them could not play it. I told them they had to let Media Player download some codec (what the other half did), but they still couldn't get it to work for some reason. And as a Linux user, I still haven't been able to play AMR files on my system at all.

Last edited by luc-mobile; 11-18-2007 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: Added ivanfrost's quote.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #36
tmjkfriend

Will there be a limit amount of recorded video allowed to send via email thur tmobile since they limit less than 70kb file download using jivetalk aim file transfer?
Old 11-18-2007, 10:35 PM   #37
Truth Theory

Model: 8310

I can't wait to get my curve on...

Truth Theory
Old 11-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #38
WilliamC

Carrier: T-mobile

does this mean we will actually be able to receive video properly?

Currently any video message I get is played like a .gif file.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 AM   #39
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamC View Post
does this mean we will actually be able to receive video properly?

Currently any video message I get is played like a .gif file.
Yes, it does. Though I am sure there will be an upper limit to the size of the clip you can recieve.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:32 AM   #40
WilliamC

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanHarig View Post
Yes, it does. Though I am sure there will be an upper limit to the size of the clip you can recieve.
There always is. I'm sure its a carrier dependent thing.

Thanks for the reply.
Closed Thread