Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
fredster.fredster

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Importing contacts from Excel ?

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry folks ... I'm a complete newbie to the BB world.

Have an AT&T 8700c.
Am trying to find the best way to manage my phone numbers, names, etc.
I have 200+ of them in a spreadsheet (from my previous non-BB phone).

Questions

Which PC based program is best to manage contacts and do the sync-up with this Blackberry on a regular basis ? (MS Exchange or something else)

How can I import my Excel list of 200 names and numbers to that PC based software, and/or to the bb phone itself ? (not just importing the excel file ... I need the names and numbers to go into the phone's contacts list)

Thanks for your attention,
Fredster
Old 02-13-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Get desktop manager from blackberry.com. Most of the mod's will recommend ver 4.2 SP2. One of the sync options is ASCII Importer/Exporter. I haven't used that option; just know it is there.

Desktop manager will work with several PIM app's, such as Outlook, and also Yahoo calendar, contacts etc.

If you can't find desktop manager, see http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/B...ager_Downloads. Also take a look around the rest of the faq if you haven't been there yet.

Last edited by aiharkness; 02-13-2008 at 04:06 PM..
Old 02-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Obviously you have MS Office already installed, so Outlook would be your basic/first option . . . import your .xls data into Outlook and sync with your BB with DM... of course, you have to match up fields from Excel to Outlook to BB/DM.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
fredster.fredster

Thanks for your quick response. I would be happy to use MS Outlook's contacts ... however ...

When I try to import my excel spreadsheet to MS Outlook .... I use 'file/import and export', then select 'import from another program or file', then select MS Excel 97-2003, browse for my file, select my destination folder as 'Contacts' in my mailbox, hit enter and get the following 'Translation error msg' ..

"File has no named ranges. Use MS Excel 97-2003 to name the range of data you want to import"

I already have the column names matching the ones in the in the Outlook Contacts list, but I do not know how to indicate to Outlook specifically which rows and columns should be imported.

Any clues would be greately appreciated.
Thanks,
Fredster.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredster.fredster View Post
Thanks for your quick response. I would be happy to use MS Outlook's contacts ... however ...

When I try to import my excel spreadsheet to MS Outlook .... I use 'file/import and export', then select 'import from another program or file', then select MS Excel 97-2003, browse for my file, select my destination folder as 'Contacts' in my mailbox, hit enter and get the following 'Translation error msg' ..

"File has no named ranges. Use MS Excel 97-2003 to name the range of data you want to import"

I already have the column names matching the ones in the in the Outlook Contacts list, but I do not know how to indicate to Outlook specifically which rows and columns should be imported.

Any clues would be greately appreciated.
Thanks,
Fredster.

I would go with AIHarkness' advice (He is rarely wrong). The desktop manager has an excellent import function for ASCII,, CSV,and other file types. It has complete field mapping. OPen the Desktop Manager, Select Synchronize and hit the Help button. There are complete instructions there.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Hah! Thanks for the good words, hudres, but I didn't have the answer, I just pointed to a *potential* tool which I haven't even used myself.

fredster.fredster, what did you figure out? crisambo has a good point: How did you get your contacts into the excel file in the first place? Did you export from something that desktop manager can sync with?

Also, another option that didn't occur to me earlier is the switch device wizard in desktop manager. You might check if your old device is supported (if that is even still a possibility).

Give us an update and let us know if you are all sync'd up and on your way or still working on it.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
fredster.fredster

Big Thanks to all !!

I have installed the BB desktop-manager and can see that it will work fine. On my excel issue ... I just now figured out how to 'name' a set of cells for within the sheet, so that the import to Outlook's contact folder will work fine. Haven't had the time to do so yet, but this looks good. I'll re-post later with an update.

BTW ... I used 'mobile-action' software with my prev phone to import/export from laptop via USB. I exported my 200 entries from that app to excel.

Next issues .... is there some way to move icons around on the BB screen ? I lock the keyboard after each call, since I keep my phone in my pocket vs. holster. however the 'lock keypbard' icon is on the third row down, requiring a lot of thumb-wheeling. I'd like that icon to be on the top row.

Also .... does a better phone-app exist to control the 'profiles' ? I'm not seeing the controls I want on this BB to set the attributes and combinations of sound and vibration for different events in each profile. For instance when in 'quiet' mode, I'd like to have e-mail muted, and calls give 2 vibrations, v-mail give 1 vibration, txt-message do something else, etc. I'm seeing some settings on the BB, but they do not seem to work in combination. Am I nutz or do better apps exist for this ? Please advise.

Thanks and have a great day,
Fredster.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Glad to know you're making progress on your database migration.

As far as the keys, Yes you can switch them around by highlighting the icon you want to move. Press down on ALT key and click on thumbwheel. Choose "Move Icon" from menu and scroll your Icon where you want it placed, then click on the thumbwheel to drop.

For the Keyboard Lock & Profiles, you can assign your Left Side Convenience Key button to operate the Keyboard Lock function. to do so: go to OPTIONS ->Screen/Keyboard -> Left Side Convenience Key Opens: change to Keyboard Lock.

While you're there, You can assign the Front Convenience Key to opeN PROFILES.

Good Luck!

Last edited by crisambo; 02-14-2008 at 11:59 AM..
Old 02-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
fredster.fredster

Talking

Thanks crisambo ... that's exactly what I was looking for on the icons move and quick-lock.

Also, kickin butt now ... all contacts imported to Outlook without problem, then promptly propagated themselves to BB w/o me doin a thing. I'm lovin it now.

Take care,
Fredster
Closed Thread