Old 11-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
boone92
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Desktop Manager won't recognize Storm

Please Login to Remove!

The first time I connected my Storm via USB to my laptop, the Desktop Manager recognized that it was connected and I updated the software no problem. But now I have my Storm connected and my laptop recognizes it but the Desktop Manager says there is no device connected. Also the Storm itself doesn't show that "connected" icon/animation. It just goes to the Clock, which is what it is set to do when it is charging. Anyone experience this or now of a fix? I've restarted my computer a few times and that hasn't helped.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
rwilliamtaylor

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Are you using DM 4.7? It has worked fine for me. I've managed to sync to Storm with iTunes as well usinf DM... very cool feature!
Old 11-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
boone92

I'm using version 4.7.0.25. It worked last night when I first installed the Desktop Manager and connected my Storm, however, at some point the "connected" screen on the Storm itself disappeared and the Desktop Manager no longer said a device was connected. Now when connected, the Storm just appears to be charging.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

Hmmmm, have you changed cables?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

Are you using BES or BIS?

If using BES, are you connected to your corporate Exchange server (presumably over VPN)?

If using BIS, do you have an Internet connection (I'm guessing yes). Can you see and/or select your BlackBerry (by PIN code / USB)? Have you tried unplugging and re-connecting your BlackBerry to your computer while Desktop Manager is running?

If all else fails, uninstall and wipe all BB info from your computer, then reinstall.

I would also use an older version of Desktop Manager.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #6
boone92

I believe I am BIS. I got my phone from a Verizon store.

I uninstalled and re-installed the Desktop Manager. I still have the same problem: the Desktop Manager says "disconnected" and says there is no BlackBerry connected.

I also tried using a different USB cord.

What else can I do?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:04 AM   #7
boone92

Am I the only person this has ever happened to? I don't think I'm that special! Although it's nice to think I am.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:55 AM   #8
boone92

OK! Here is how I fixed this problem myself, in case someone else happens to experience the same difficulty!

1. Connect device to computer.
2. Go to your computer 'Device Manager'.
3. Click to expand the USB tree.
4. If you see a yellow exclamation mark next to the BlackBerry device then keep reading!
5. Right click on Blackberry device.
6. Click 'Update Driver'.
7. Choose 'No, not this time'.
8. Choose 'Install from a specific location'
9. Choose 'Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.'
10. The driver should appear in the list box. Choose it and update driver!

WOOO!
Old 12-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
fabian43

Model: 9500

Thank you so much man! I was having the same problem with my Curve and couldn't figure it out. I thought my USB cable was bad and almost bought a new one. Then I finally got my Storm and upon installing DM had the same problem! I was so pissed last night, then I came across your thread and was hoping a solution could be found. I really appreciate it. Not trying to kiss ass but I really appreciate it.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #10
armandov99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm having a lot of trouble getting Desktop Manager on the PC to recognize the Storm.

I have uninstalled ALL Blackberry software on the PC, installed DM 4.7 from the CD that came with the Storm, and it only recognized it ONCE then since then I can't get Dm to recognize it. Blackberry Device Manager shows it as connected, but it never shows up in Desktop Manager. In addition, under Vista, the USB connection keeps getting dropped. I can hear the sound and see in device manager that it's as if I'm disconnecting/reconnecting the Storm. It happens about every 15 seconds.

I managed to get JL_CMDR to wipe, but it got interrupted by the aforementioned disconnect/connect issue. However, I still got a 507 white screen so all was OK. In the end, to reload the new OS, I couldn't use Desktop Manager and had to resort to the command prompt method.

I have tried this on two computers, one running Vista and one running XP Pro. The one running XP doesn't seem to have the connect/disconnect issue with USB, but it still won't recognize the Storm in Desktop Manager (only everywhere else like device manager). It does, however, recognize my Curve perfectly.

This is really frustrating.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:47 PM   #11
Alkapwn

Model: Storm

Runnin' a Storm here, I fixed my problem by opening the Desktop manager with a double click, instead of the right click "Run as Admin" option. Not sure why that would make much difference as the Admin option usually helps the program run better...but hey, it worked, and I don't ask questions about a good thing.

Try double clicking and just opening regularly...connected to my Storm for the win.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
SoCoolAZ

Model: 9530
Default Oh yeah...

I was following you to step 9 and then it didn't work. Then I updated the USB. It then moved the Blackberry Smartphone and RIM/something or another to UNKNOWN devices. After device manager. ALLOW WINDOWS TO FIND THE PROPER DRIVER it found driver for both Smartphone and the RIM. Now lets see if it works...! Thanks for the great thread...!

Last edited by SoCoolAZ; 03-25-2009 at 08:41 PM..
Closed Thread