BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #21
chantal5303

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: fido

Please Login to Remove!

I did the same thing that you did.How di i get the pst files.I am so sad..Email me at [email address]

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonemoreblack View Post
Don't go for the Bo Derek/Mary Lou Retton "10/10" - you may regret it (I do)!

Firstly, resolved that the help files don't help us with this exquisite little inconvenience.

I use a Blackberry 8700c (Cingular/AT&T), MS Outlook 2003 SP2, and Microsoft Wireless Transceiver for Bluetooth 2.0.

I was getting the PW annoyance (was at 9/10). I read this thread, got frisky, tried the 0000, and...BOOM! COMPLETE DEVICE RESET (details below).

So, unless you understand the nuances of this process, I suggest you NOT exhaust your password tries and simply continue hitting "escape". I also suggest that you DISREGARD the gentlepeople above who say it is ok to try and fail at 10/10 until more explicit instructions are available.

Here's what happened:

- I opened the BlackBerry Desktop manager
- I clicked escape (as usual) to the Keystore PW prompt
- I opened the Certificate Synchronizaton
- I'm prompted again for the password (I'm at 10/10)
- I entered "0000"

Begin the beguine...

- PC pop-up error says "Error - unable to get pw info from device".
- 8700c has red light, then hourglass, then reboots, and

IT REALLY DID RESET THE DEVICE!
* No contacts
* Old desktop
* START OVER!!!

So...apparently, you do need that password if you want to step safely into this frightfully stupid and laughably unsupported world. O ye at RIM/BB who own this functionality and/or its documentation, you are hereby considered unclean until you address this with some sort of documentation or other assistance.

Now copying pst files and rebuilding things (hopefully better). Will post again if I learn anything that seems postworthy.

Peace
Old 09-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #22
BrettP

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Is this the solution?

Hi. I had this keystore password problem - used the device PIN, password etc with no luck. On attempt 9 of 10, used the password to log onto my work network. This worked. Could be a coincidence but worth a try if you have more than one try left! Good luck.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #23
Camarones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettP View Post
Hi. I had this keystore password problem - used the device PIN, password etc with no luck. On attempt 9 of 10, used the password to log onto my work network. This worked. Could be a coincidence but worth a try if you have more than one try left! Good luck.
I, too, forgot my keystore password.

When I got to 9/10 I decided it was probably a good time to perform a device backup.

So I made the backup and proceeded to the tenth attempt. As expected, it wiped the device back to out-of-the-box state. I then used the backup/restore tool advanced mode to restore everything EXCEPT the handheld keystore and handheld certificate databases. Doing so brought my 8320 back to the way it was with minimal hassle. I then ran the certificate sync tool and it asked me to create a new keystore password.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #24
tyeunk

Model: 8320
Carrier: rogers

How do I disable the certifcate feature in Desktop Manager v. 4.3?

I can't seem to find it.

Thanks
Old 02-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #25
tekronin

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default How to suppress key store password prompt on connect

I was able to suppress the key store password prompt when connecting my BlackBerry to my PC by using the following steps.

1. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager (I am using 4.0.1.12 on Windows XP SP2)

2. Open Certificate Sync.

3. You will be prompted to "Please enter your keystore password (8/10)" or similar. IMPORTANT: Click CANCEL. In a moment you will see the Certificate Synchronization panel.

4. Click the Options... button on the bottom right.

5. Uncheck "Automatically synchronize my handheld's certificate data when my handheld is connected to my computer." Click OK.

6. Click EXIT to, um, exit the Certificate Synchronization manager.

N.B. your keystore password will remain at "n/10" tries, and you will be prompted every time you open Certificate Sync on the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. However, you will NOT be prompted every time you connect your BlackBerry to your desktop.

Also keep in mind this is NOT your BlackBerry device password. If your security policy requires you to enter your device password when connecting to your PC, you will still be prompted for your device password.

Hope this helps,

tek ronin

Last edited by tekronin; 02-29-2008 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: Typo on bullet 5
Old 04-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #26
ArmyGeorge
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 24546662
Carrier: AT&T

How do I clear this x/10 thing before I get locked out?!
--Garmin GPS, returned, got BBTracker
--Dalwhinnie Single Malt

Last edited by ArmyGeorge; 04-05-2008 at 04:14 PM..
Old 04-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #27
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Did you try the instructions in the earlier posts in this thread?
Old 04-06-2008, 01:34 AM   #28
ArmyGeorge
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 24546662
Carrier: AT&T

Yes
--Garmin GPS, returned, got BBTracker
--Dalwhinnie Single Malt
Old 06-29-2008, 04:10 AM   #29
marcianx

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I don't get why blackberry has such poor documentation on so many things, Key Stores being one of them. Documentation is one place they really need to get their act together. So...that being said, how do I change my Key Store password if I DO happen to know my current Key Store password?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #30
verzionz

Model: 7250
Carrier: verizon
Default to reset keystore, if you know it:

Options, Security, Keystores, click wheel, select Change password. enter old, enter new 2x
Old 09-23-2008, 08:31 AM   #31
brooksha

Model: curve
Carrier: T mobile
Default system reset

Whoever said that entering the wrong password only erases the passwords in password keeper, man was I ticked at you yesterday!! Entering the password wrong a tenth time (I tried the recommended '0000' after all of my other passwords didn't work) definitely erases your whole system, contacts, pictures, to do list, notes, calendar.... EVERYTHING wiped!

Don't make the same mistake I did. I turned my Blackberry Curve back on to find the original homescreen and the setup wizard asking me for desired language, date and time....

Many hours will be spent getting it back to where it was. Although I was able to input a new keystore password, it seems irrelevant now
Old 11-13-2008, 01:28 AM   #32
HUGVT

Carrier: Verizon
Default so true!

I had locked myself out of the password keeper and it got to 10/10 and all I had to do was just reset my password to the password keeper. now mind you i lost the info in the password keeper but my phone itself was NOT affected. Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirayu View Post
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Not true, it will only get rid of all the stored passwords in the password safe if you had any not wipe your handheld.

I have reached 10/10 and it just let me reset my pass to password keeper.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:14 PM   #33
foxyzerman

Model: bold
Carrier: vodafone
Wink The Thing's Like That

they have by default a password that we do not have a ****in ideea what it is.

don't kno what ya've seen but it doesn't wipe only the pasword keeper but EVERYTHIN (agenda, settings, files).

so the easiest and simple way to solve it is just press the BACKUP button in DESKTOP MANAGER, it will backup EVERYTHIN on your device (agenda, setting, files, passwords).

then simply enter whatever ya want to get to the 10/10 and wiping process.
after it wipes everythin it will ask for a new password.
after ya restore the backup previously made and that's it.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #34
bodegarob09

Carrier: sprint
Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonemoreblack View Post
Don't go for the Bo Derek/Mary Lou Retton "10/10" - you may regret it (I do)!

Firstly, resolved that the help files don't help us with this exquisite little inconvenience.

I use a Blackberry 8700c (Cingular/AT&T), MS Outlook 2003 SP2, and Microsoft Wireless Transceiver for Bluetooth 2.0.

I was getting the PW annoyance (was at 9/10). I read this thread, got frisky, tried the 0000, and...BOOM! COMPLETE DEVICE RESET (details below).

So, unless you understand the nuances of this process, I suggest you NOT exhaust your password tries and simply continue hitting "escape". I also suggest that you DISREGARD the gentlepeople above who say it is ok to try and fail at 10/10 until more explicit instructions are available.

Here's what happened:

- I opened the BlackBerry Desktop manager
- I clicked escape (as usual) to the Keystore PW prompt
- I opened the Certificate Synchronizaton
- I'm prompted again for the password (I'm at 10/10)
- I entered "0000"

Begin the beguine...

- PC pop-up error says "Error - unable to get pw info from device".
- 8700c has red light, then hourglass, then reboots, and

IT REALLY DID RESET THE DEVICE!
* No contacts
* Old desktop
* START OVER!!!

So...apparently, you do need that password if you want to step safely into this frightfully stupid and laughably unsupported world. O ye at RIM/BB who own this functionality and/or its documentation, you are hereby considered unclean until you address this with some sort of documentation or other assistance.

Now copying pst files and rebuilding things (hopefully better). Will post again if I learn anything that seems postworthy.

Peace

when it resets. do you still have your pics at least. or does everything completely wipe out. i have a blackberry curve 8330
Old 06-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #35
Matyi

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Key stores password

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirayu View Post
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Not true, it will only get rid of all the stored passwords in the password safe if you had any not wipe your handheld.

I have reached 10/10 and it just let me reset my pass to password keeper.
It seems very much that experiences about reacing 10/10 defer from one another very much! To some, it resets security settings only, while other complaint that 10/10 wipes the whole BB.

What is the reason thereof?

Last edited by Matyi; 06-11-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Old 07-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #36
Bvm101

Carrier: Vodacom SA

Because, as has allready been mentioned above, the keystore and password keeper are not the same thing. The keystore is the one causing the problems. I have exactly the same prob on my 8310. The default password was probably set by the service provider. Has anyone tried 1234. Otherwise the backup/wipe/restore solution mentioned I a post above seems the best to me.
Closed Thread