Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
NICEGUY5455

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Need advise please :)

Please Login to Remove!

When my girl signed up she did not tell me a had to use Data with ATT. Seems like I am forced now and I do pay full text package ($30 per month) which is all I need. I understand policy changed on forcing subcribers recently and was looking for advice. I was told from Best Buy sales (brought one 9700 and three 8250 curve) I could report lost and then can remove data plan which i dont need. But not sure how it is going to affect the Pin number issue. My phone is unlocked right now. Please advise.:confused: Also, I have been a loyal ATT client since it was Bellsouth, Cingular etc for 17 years.

Thanking you in advance for your help and time!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Considering that is considered to be fraud, I don't think you will get much help here. You should have done your homework before buying the BBs.

Plus ATT does periodic IMEI sans for all devices on their network. If they see that you are using a device which requires a data plan, they will automatically add on to your account and send you a text telling you they did so.

And if you have been a cell user for that long, you should know better!

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

A data plan is only $30, the same as you are paying for text, but so much more. A BB is more for email, IM, Web access, running apps, like Google Maps, New Feeds, Weather, etc. Oh yeah, it does have a phone, camera, mp3 player too

I have owed phones/BB for 10+ years and never sent a Text Message. Not sure what they are good for, but to each their own.

I am pretty sure their are apps or products that will allow you to send/receive Text via a 3rd party service for free or a nominal fee which might be cheaper for you. Then again, Email & IM are also free on a BB.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
NICEGUY5455

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately they got 4 smart phones in one shot! So it will cost me $120 a month. I would only consider this expense on mine since I do business. Also since Bestbuy told me what they told me I did complain about this because I dont want to defraud anyone. They should have never told us this just to get a sale. By the way, are there any other carriers that do not force you to use Data plan?
Old 02-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
NICEGUY5455

???

Also wondering what prompted ATT to force you to use internet??? There must be a reason and I cant believe its a money grab!
Old 02-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Most carriers require a data plan for all devices that use it. About the only way around it is to buy just a plain "dumb" phone. Many have had the policy for a while and are just now starting to enforce it. Sign of the economy I guess.

If you don't want the devices, and you are inside of the trial period (either 14 or 30 days depending on where you purchased it) take them back.

Another option is to cancel and pay the ETF and then try to sell the devices to recoup some of the ETF charges.

-->>Twitter

Old 02-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
NICEGUY5455

Default sorry

Sorry what is EFT? I did not understand this sentence.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

ETF - Early Termination Fee

-->>Twitter

Old 02-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
NICEGUY5455

Thank You.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #10
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

Or in Canada ECF Early Cancellation Fee. We haven't gone the US route yet, we only require the data plans when the phone is subsidized by us, it's not required if you purchase the phone outright.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post
Or in Canada ECF Early Cancellation Fee. We haven't gone the US route yet, we only require the data plans when the phone is subsidized by us, it's not required if you purchase the phone outright.
But the OP is on ATT, apparently in the US.

-->>Twitter

Old 02-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
Noodle22

Yeah, he pm'd me and asked me this question originally and I advised him to post it here to get more range in answers.

He got a subsidy on hardware, then I agree he should have to pay for the data.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:08 AM   #13
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Quote:
We haven't gone the US route yet, we only require the data plans when the phone is subsidized by us, it's not required if you purchase the phone outright.
Not quite sure about the other carriers, but I checked with Tmobile 2 weeks ago, and if you buy a phone at regular price you don't have to get a data or messaging bundle plan. You do if it is subsidized by the carrier. I think that's pretty fair.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #14
Noodle22

I do as well. That way it helps recoup some of the cost of the subsidy because your not giving a customer a 600 dollar phone to pay 20 bucks a month.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 PM   #15
davidA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Quote:
I purchased a used Blackberry outright (privately) but was refused a data plan by Rogers, unless I agreed to sign up to a 1 year contract (I was considering moving away from Telus) Currently I am still doing business with Telus.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #16
Noodle22

If they told you to take a term and it was just a regular data plan, they were not being honest. If it was a promotional one, then there would be a term but those are 3 year options for the most part.

I'm not sure what your situation was, but they should not make you take a term unless there is a valid reason.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #17
fadmin

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Not quite sure about the other carriers, but I checked with Tmobile 2 weeks ago, and if you buy a phone at regular price you don't have to get a data or messaging bundle plan. You do if it is subsidized by the carrier. I think that's pretty fair.
It is , but their plans are not fair.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #18
davidA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Quote:
If they told you to take a term and it was just a regular data plan, they were not being honest. If it was a promotional one, then there would be a term but those are 3 year options for the most part.

I'm not sure what your situation was, but they should not make you take a term unless there is a valid reason.
This is common practice at Rogers. Others I know (who want to take their own phones to Rogers) have also been refused hosting on a monthly basis. The only way Rogers will provide hosting (on a monthly basis) to new customers, is if they will agree to purchase a brand new phone (from them) at an exorbitant price I will add.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #19
NICEGUY5455

Thanks, I will try to have them waive since they have 17 years of our busines and at least over $40,000 of services paid. Maybe I get lucky
Old 02-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #20
Noodle22

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidA View Post
This is common practice at Rogers. Others I know (who want to take their own phones to Rogers) have also been refused hosting on a monthly basis. The only way Rogers will provide hosting (on a monthly basis) to new customers, is if they will agree to purchase a brand new phone (from them) at an exorbitant price I will add.
Did you go to a dealership or call in? They get commission on each data plan they add with a term, it's b.s. that they will not allow you to take it on month to month. You can always ask for a manager and complain. It's a hassle though. Reps like that should not be allowed to continue to work. Dealers are notorious for these shady kinds of practices.

I've never made someone take a term on data unless they were getting some sort of promotion, subsidy on a phone, or a discount.
Closed Thread