BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
John1300

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Exclamation What's the new and best software for Storm 9530???

Please Login to Remove!

Hey what's good BB people???
I have a question that I will like to know right away!!! Which software is the best for the STORM .109 , .113 , .114, or .161 I read many threads that people say one is good and the other one is good so I don't know which is the best and What's the website that I can go for download this Software???? Also there is any website that we can get free themes for Storm???
Old 04-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

The best one is the one that works best for you. Simple as that.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
John1300

but there are many out there!!! right now!!!!! I want one which work fast and don't have any restriction like one!!! that I saw which have no key for the numbers when you r checking ur voicemail!!!
Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
eastend
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

lighten up sunshine. We are not here to serve you!! Ask politely notice no one is answering your posts.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 3053D7B3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1300 View Post
Hey what's good BB people???
I have a question that I will like to know right away!!! Which software is the best for the STORM .109 , .113 , .114, or .161 I read many threads that people say one is good and the other one is good so I don't know which is the best and What's the website that I can go for download this Software???? Also there is any website that we can get free themes for Storm???
don't pay attention to the other guys...they don't have storms except maybe the person who didn't put their model number down in their info...who knows...

as far as your question...the latest version is normally better as long as it has passed a stability test of some type...because Verizon has not officially released a version higher than the .75, for the storm it is probably best to stick with the .75 version...beta versions are typically unstable

i have not tried any of the leaked beta versions because i prefer to stay within the bounds of the release candidates when talkling about OS upgrades...but apparently many of the latest releases are much much faster and include some much needed features...animations are smoothed out, the accelerometer transitions are smoothed out and so on...

what version are you currently using? let me submit this and look and see if you put that

and by the way, are you a vodafone or verizon user? that apparently matters for some reason...not sure why because the OS should be the same minus the tweaks...it's like having a different version of Windows Vista depending on your ISP...weird concept
Old 04-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

and i have not seen any free themes for the storm although i have not looked on the app store for them...i bet they exist though probably not very good...i like the elecite themes

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=
THEMES
Elicite themes:
Elecite - Premium BlackBerry Themes
iVista 2 theme:
iVista 2 - Themes BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store
iBerry Neo theme:
Bplay : BlackBerry Themes : iBerry Neo
Old 04-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

as far as applications, this is my current list of decent apps for the storm:

APPLICATION PORTALS
BlackBerry News:
BlackBerry Applications | BlackBerryNews.com
Application Betas | BlackBerryNews.com
CrackBerry App Store:
BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store
Applications and Services Index:
BlackBerry - Built for BlackBerry List
CNN's Top Apps:
Smartphones to go: Apps you'll want to pack - CNN.com
Official App Store:
BlackBerry - App World – The Official BlackBerry App Store for BlackBerry Apps
APPLICATIONS
Skype (coming in May to BlackBerry):
Skype for iPhone, Blackberry coming soon
Storm Level Pro:
Storm Level Pro (BlackBerry Storm Only) - Entertainment BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store)
Aerize popup alerter:
Aerize Email Alerts - Email / SMS Popup Notifications - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store
Starry Night Sky Chart:
SPACE.com -- Applets, Widgets and Gadgets!
YATCA (Twitter Client):
http://bit.ly/yatca101
New Twitter BlackBerry App Plugs right into Messages Folder
Nintaii:
Nintaii for BlackBerry Still One of my Favorites
TwitterBerry:
Orangatame Software
Viigo:
Viigo
Apaitu (free):
http://www.getjar.com/products/25810/Apaitu
CNBC:
CNBC Home
FACEBOOK:
BlackBerry - Facebook for BlackBerry Smartphones
http://www.blackberry.com/facebook_download
FLICKR:
BlackBerry - Flickr for BlackBerry Smartphones
http://www.blackberry.com/flickrdownload
ESPN:
ESPN Mobile Properties
ESPN Mobile Properties
FOX (Business News):
About FOX Business Mobile - FOXBusiness.com
To get the FOX Business logo on your BlackBerry desktop, simply go to FOX Business
from your BlackBerry phone and in the footer click "Add to my BlackBerry Smartphone."
FOX (News):
Mobile - FOXNews.com
FOX News - foxnews.mobi
MYSPACE:
BlackBerry - MySpace for BlackBerry Smartphones
MySpace for BlackBerry Smartphones
MLB:
MLB.com for BlackBerry | MLB.com: Mobile
MLB.com Mobile - BlackBerry Shortcut | MLB.com: Mobile
MLB.com for BlackBerry
CNN Money:
Financial news and alerts on your BlackBerry from CNNMoney.com
CNN:
http://cnnmobile.com/
NOBEX (Radio Companion):
Nobex Radio Companion - Download
Nobex Radio Companion - Download
Newsweek:
http://mobile.newsweek.com/bb
New York Times:
New York Times BlackBerry Shortcuts - New York Times
The New York Times
The New York Times
AP News:
http://m.ap.mwap.at/?scw=0&sch=0&clw=0&clh=0&if=0
http://m.ap.mwap.at
Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSamfield View Post
and by the way, are you a vodafone or verizon user? that apparently matters for some reason...not sure why because the OS should be the same minus the tweaks...it's like having a different version of Windows Vista depending on your ISP...weird concept
No, the OS is not the same because the devices are not the same (9530 vs. 9500). Verizon sells the 9530 which is made primarily for CDMA networks, while Vodafone proper sells the 9500 which is made for GSM/UMTS networks.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
No, the OS is not the same because the devices are not the same (9530 vs. 9500). Verizon sells the 9530 which is made primarily for CDMA networks, while Vodafone proper sells the 9500 which is made for GSM/UMTS networks.
you are quite the contrarian

to be specific the OS is the same, because they would not spend the time to design it per each device....that is a waste of time and money when it would port nicely to each phone just by updating the hardware layer of the OS

so the firmware (hardware layer) is different between different devices, but the OS itself is the same....in fact i have the same OS as most people on other BB models...not counting the Verizon and Vodafone storms

in either case, my phone is GSM capable, it just is just primarily CDMA like you mentioned
Old 04-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
John1300

So far I have .75 !!! and I have Verizon!!!

Quote:
don't pay attention to the other guys...they don't have storms except maybe the person who didn't put their model number down in their info...who knows...

as far as your question...the latest version is normally better as long as it has passed a stability test of some type...because Verizon has not officially released a version higher than the .75, for the storm it is probably best to stick with the .75 version...beta versions are typically unstable

i have not tried any of the leaked beta versions because i prefer to stay within the bounds of the release candidates when talkling about OS upgrades...but apparently many of the latest releases are much much faster and include some much needed features...animations are smoothed out, the accelerometer transitions are smoothed out and so on...

what version are you currently using? let me submit this and look and see if you put that

Old 04-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

i'd say stick with the .75 until Verizon officially releases the .113 or whatever version

but join the protests about the hold out by Verizon to release it...they could at least let us know why they have yet to release it into the wild while other services like Vodafone got an official update already

but what i recently learned is that Vodafone owns 45% of Verizon so this makes it a more interesting equation and battle of power...not sure how that would play down to the day to day decisions of the company...
Old 04-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
you are quite the contrarian

to be specific the OS is the same, because they would not spend the time to design it per each device....that is a waste of time and money when it would port nicely to each phone just by updating the hardware layer of the OS

so the firmware (hardware layer) is different between different devices, but the OS itself is the same....in fact i have the same OS as most people on other BB models...not counting the Verizon and Vodafone storms

in either case, my phone is GSM capable, it just is just primarily CDMA like you mentioned
The OS is NOT the same. Download the OS for the 9500 and try to load it on a 9530. If it works, I'll fly to wherever you live and take you out on a date.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #13
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

if this is true, then what is the version number of the OS for the 9500 and what is the version number for the 9530?

how does RIM differentiate either internally or externally from the company about the "supposedly" different operating systems if the version number system is of the same caliber, function, and specificity per the OS? for instance, two versions of the OS exist with the same version number for the 9500 and 9530...how are they telling the difference apart and what differences exist in the actual code and functionality of the OS?
Old 04-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
if this is true, then what is the version number of the OS for the 9500 and what is the version number for the 9530?

how does RIM differentiate either internally or externally from the company about the "supposedly" different operating systems if the version number system is of the same caliber, function, and specificity per the OS? for instance, two versions of the OS exist with the same version number for the 9500 and 9530...how are they telling the difference apart and what differences exist in the actual code and functionality of the OS?
The Application Loader checks the model of device connected, and if there is no OS software for that model, it won't load. Period.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
The Application Loader checks the model of device connected, and if there is no OS software for that model, it won't load. Period.
haha, but you didn't really answer my question cause the answer is that it's the same...

what do the developers call the OS...and how do they test it? and what's the version number for the OS? and so on...

it's all the same and they use a blackberry device simulator and it's mostly all done in java so it's very portable from hardware to hardware...i really don't think there is much difference between a 9500 and a 9530...very minor differences...all of that is essentially driver programs that exist for the firmware of the phone...
Old 04-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

the underlying OS is the same...same same same same same....
Old 04-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #17
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

and what i meant internally or externally is what do they call the OS versions in internal memos to each other? version what?

do they have teams of guys working on an OS for each model of phone at RIM? i doubt it...they have one OS and they created a hardware abstraction layer to interface between different hardware configurations...it's a layered OS design....

Operating System Abstraction Layer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:Operating system placement.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #18
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
the underlying OS is the same...same same same same same....
I'm not going to argue with you anymore. I don't like fighting with an unarmed person.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
Noctem
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T / CINGULAR

I dont get what's so hard to understand... each device has its own OS, even though its the same model phone (storm) doesnt mean the OS for the 9500 is the same as the 9530. They really arent the same buddy....

dc/dc is right. enough said
Old 04-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

they did not redesign the entire OS per each phone....so what does that mean to you...?

unarmed...whatever...you're so lame you hide behind your blackberry forum moniker...tell me your real name and stand by what you say...prove they are difference operating systems...give me proof...documentation...citations....introspect...
Closed Thread