Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #41
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 3053D7B3
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

This is also interesting to note, but apparently Aerize has been able to circumvent this or so it seems.

Quote:
Security considerations

Access to memory
The BlackBerry® Java® Development Environment is designed to inhibit applications from causing problems accidentally or maliciously in other applications or on the BlackBerry device. BlackBerry applications can write only to the BlackBerry device memory that the BlackBerry® Java® Virtual Machine uses; they cannot access the virtual memory or the persistent storage of other applications (unless they are specifically granted access to do so). A BlackBerry® Java Application can only access persistent storage or user data, or communicate with other applications, through specific BlackBerry APIs. Research In Motion must digitally sign a BlackBerry Java Application that uses these BlackBerry APIs, to provide an audit trail of applications that use sensitive APIs.
I believe that this is the reason why Aerize only works when you reinstall an application because Aerize cannot "break into" the already installed persistent application storage in the flash memory section of the device memory that applications are installed into apparently.

Last edited by JasonSamfield; 04-05-2009 at 09:44 AM..
Old 04-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #42
suicidepact
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: N/A

Interesting bit of info there Jason, thanks. Definitely something to consider.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #43
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

yup it is...glad i found it...hope to understand this other information better also...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/deve...a-storage.html

trying to correlate the two bits of information together...there is also another post about why there is a limitation on memory here:
BlackBerry Support Community Forums - 128 MB Application Memory - BlackBerry 9000 Series Smartphone - BlackBerry Bold - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

you can read that and tell me what you think also...i read it the other day a couple times and got told that i was incorrect in analyzing it and understanding it...maybe you can help me out
Old 04-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #44
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

it all seems confusing now yet so clear...
  • SRAM
  • RAM
  • flash memory
  • application memory
  • device memory
  • on board storage
  • Persistent storage
  • RMS or RS memory (record store)
  • FileConnection (file storage)

i want this action from RIM if possible as a firmware-software-OS update:
Quote:
"Move the partition over away from the 1gig media section. Make it 50/50 instead of 128/86x."
however, other guys here at BBF, said that it is not 12.5% to 87.5% like stated or how i believed, but that there is a separate 128 MB section for application memory and then there is a 1 GB portion...which section are the applications using? part of the 1 GB in a zone of 128 MB, or a separate entity of 128 MB? i do not know, but whichever it is, we DO know that it is limited to just 128 MB...that's not much or really in the Storm's case enough especially when compared to other competing smartphones and it's definitely not what was advertised to me when i purchased my phone....

also, i checked today and i don't know if either memory design case is necessarily true...i cannot confirm nor deny either memory design from my own empirical analysis on my own phone because my application memory and remaining memory on my 1 GB onboard storage correlate each other perfectly for the second memory design case...

i would say that it is more likely the 12.5% to 87.5% ratio instead of the separate memory spaces...but i need to know more about the file system to know how much of that 1 GB space is being used in partition formatting that is reducing my supposed 1 GB of onboard storage to ~870 MB...i have nothing stored in the onboard section...i always have chosen my videos and pictures to store to the external card...

has anybody else checked their device memory to see how much of it is free? do you have any photos/videos or music stored on your onboard memory? is the number around ~870 MB?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #45
DaNewCrack

Model: 8330
Carrier: Telsus

Wirelessly posted

Exact same scenario as above... Even tried loading every OS leaked
Old 04-11-2009, 02:56 AM   #46
suicidepact
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I imagine that's probably the second thing EVERY Storm owner wants after the next version of the OS from their prospective carrier. (I'm on VZW)
Closed Thread