BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:23 PM   #21
costonbw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I just spent some time playing with these screws. Turning them out... turning them in. I found that if I turned them out more than 1.5 turns my screen became un-click-able. I settled on about .75 on the sticker-side screw and .90 on the other. The non-sticker side screw is where my left-handed hold places the space bar (I like to hit the hard buttons with my left thumb). On a side note, when my phone was new the latches that hold the back on were tight, and didn't seem to latch all the way. Now they are slightly looser (with no rattle) and close all the way with no effort.

I played with the paper trick for a half hour before finding this thread. IMHO the screw fix feels WAY better than the paper fix.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #22
searly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: Mine...

This fix saved my Storm for me. I was well on my way back to my Curve! The A button (and others on the left side of the screen while in landscape) was just to hard to push. Sometimes it did not even push at all. I did the biz card trick as well and that was a great little short term work around. This, however, has been the single best trick/tweak I have found for the Storm. 3/4 turn on both and I could not be happier!

If RIM could get this adjustment made at the assembly line, they would save a lot of returns and up set customers!
Old 12-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #23
Cygnust

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: SFR (France)

Saved my storm too ..
Old 12-17-2008, 11:28 PM   #24
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

This has been working for since it was posted. The "A" button side is perfect,.......but the only thing is, the p side is less click able like it feels less poppy, if I may. Any better fix for that side?

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 01:29 AM   #25
innovator1

Count me in as one of the "screw-turners." Didn't notice any difference going with 1/4 turn at a time, until I got to a full turn's worth -- then POW! The "perfect Storm"....
The screen did feel a bit "loose" at first, but my typing speed and precision on the "a" and "space" keys in LS mode quickly made me forget about the looseness...
Old 12-18-2008, 03:18 AM   #26
derekisdman

Model: 7100t

I foolishly tried this with a flat head screw driver and couldn't really tell when I was actually turning the screws...now I feel like I have it totally out of whack and am not sure where I began... The screen seems way too shaky now and I can't even tell whether a clockwise turn tightens it or loosens it or if a counter clockwise turn tightens or loosens it. Any advice?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #27
innovator1

The best advice might be to get to a Lowe's and drop 5.98 plus tax on a precision set of torx screwdrivers. For right now though, tightening something will always be CLOCKWISE and loosening will always be COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. So my advice is to tighten the screws (clockwise) until they are fairly tight (DO NOT overtighten!) and then begin the backing-off procedure of turning the screws to loosen them (ie, counterclockwise) about 1/4 turn each, then try typing on the screen unitl you're comfortable with the results. Most people here have been good with 3/4 to onefull turn per screw.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #28
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekisdman View Post
I foolishly tried this with a flat head screw driver and couldn't really tell when I was actually turning the screws...now I feel like I have it totally out of whack and am not sure where I began... The screen seems way too shaky now and I can't even tell whether a clockwise turn tightens it or loosens it or if a counter clockwise turn tightens or loosens it. Any advice?
you could always screw the screws back in until they feel snug, and then back them out again a little at a time. I did this several times on mine before I got it exactly how I wanted it.

One tip is to adjust each screw individually a little at a time and then click around on the screen to feel the difference in the adjustment you just made. You'll soon figure out which areas of the screen each of the screws affects and will be able to get it just how you like it.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #29
7 VII 7

I just took a business card and ripped it in 4ths... I think took the two of the 4ths and put them on top of each other and put them between the phone and the battery and feels much better
Old 12-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #30
Mark1si

PIN: 304DC7AF
Default Sticker

So what is that sticker REALLY for?
Old 12-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #31
derekisdman

Model: 7100t

Ok thanks for the replies - they are very helpful. Perhaps it is time to buy a time screwdriver.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #32
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1si View Post
So what is that sticker REALLY for?
let's see... well, it has a minus sign on it, so maybe if you go out of town and forget your charger and your Storm runs out of juice, you can hook some jumper cables up to it (the screw with the sticker would obviously be the ground) and have that baby amped back up in no time! ;)
Old 12-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #33
dcpuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

That's pretty neat. I'll have to keep this in mind though right now I have absolutely no problems clicking on my Storm's keyboard with any of the buttons. I never used the card trick or anything. It was straight out of the box.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #34
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb Absolute Must

This fix is an absolute must. The advice given by Ronx is right on. Spend some time and methodically adjust the screws in small increments until the feel is just right. This easily doubled my typing speed.

If you do this and you have already adjusted the Screen/Keyboard controls in Options, you may want to revisit those settings. I found it to be a lot more sensitive and backed down the sensitivity a bit. Again, you have to play with it to get it just right. Make sure you write down these settings and the screw settings so that if you have to change phones, you won't havew to go through the whole process. 73
Old 01-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #35
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronx View Post
let's see... well, it has a minus sign on it, so maybe if you go out of town and forget your charger and your Storm runs out of juice, you can hook some jumper cables up to it (the screw with the sticker would obviously be the ground) and have that baby amped back up in no time! ;)
I think the red dot label looks like a "Do Not Enter" roadsign. It probably means that the left screw is user adjustable and the right screw is not. But that's just a guess on my part.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #36
Dendrite

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon BIS

A quick question as this thread is about a month old now. Have any of you had to go back and "tweak" or re-set the Torx screw tension after 3 or 4 weeks of typing following this fix? I'm wondering if by loosening the screws they have the tendency to "creep" or loosen up thereafter on their own?

I know it's comparing apples to oranges but on my motorcycles once I have a bolt under tension where I want its adjustment to stay (retractable foot pegs or something), I'll add a drop of Lock-Tite to the bolt threads to keep that "setting". If there is some tendency for these Torx screws to back out further after loosening them on the Storm, might this help?

If they seem to be staying put, then it's a non-issue.

To the OP: a picture is worth a 1000 words. Thanks for the post!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #37
theduskes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 22b385ea
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgraham View Post
Mod: this should be a sticky!
No, wait, this should have its own forum!

No, wait : RIM, this should have its own website!!!
This tweak will save this entire product!!

--bg
They need about 100 tweaks to ensnarl the heavy emailer....
IM just waiting to unlock mine...make sure it works...and then go back to my 8830...
Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #38
Rowdie

Winner!

T6 here, T7 too big.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #39
MKPanache

PIN: 3052D5A9

I was wondering the same thing. That being said, though, I can't wait to try this!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
A quick question as this thread is about a month old now. Have any of you had to go back and "tweak" or re-set the Torx screw tension after 3 or 4 weeks of typing following this fix? I'm wondering if by loosening the screws they have the tendency to "creep" or loosen up thereafter on their own?

I know it's comparing apples to oranges but on my motorcycles once I have a bolt under tension where I want its adjustment to stay (retractable foot pegs or something), I'll add a drop of Lock-Tite to the bolt threads to keep that "setting". If there is some tendency for these Torx screws to back out further after loosening them on the Storm, might this help?

If they seem to be staying put, then it's a non-issue.

To the OP: a picture is worth a 1000 words. Thanks for the post!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #40
Thom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKPanache View Post
I was wondering the same thing. That being said, though, I can't wait to try this!!!
After using this modification, I stumbled across another one that made more sense, which did not require the screws to be loosened. I posted it about a week or so ago. Link below...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...creen-fix.html
Closed Thread