Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #41
modulo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

the iphone i used showed no advantage with the wifi over the 3g (browsing). lacking wifi does seem like a big deal in a feature match-up, but since its no benefit to the iphone, i cant think of why i would need it for the storm. not missing anything imo, but i would select it in a perfect world, why not. i did side by side comparisons with my brother-in-laws iphone over thanksgiving and it really made me feel better about getting the storm, even he played with the storm and had plenty of great comments (he's an apple fanboy).
Old 11-30-2008, 11:07 PM   #42
Arcangel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

amen modulo
Old 12-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #43
4Runner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Alltel
Default The Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by modulo View Post
the iphone i used showed no advantage with the wifi over the 3g (browsing). lacking wifi does seem like a big deal in a feature match-up, but since its no benefit to the iphone, i cant think of why i would need it for the storm. not missing anything imo, but i would select it in a perfect world, why not. i did side by side comparisons with my brother-in-laws iphone over thanksgiving and it really made me feel better about getting the storm, even he played with the storm and had plenty of great comments (he's an apple fanboy).

WiFi adds 2 - 3 times the speed of 3G and uses less power so it prolongs battery life. So, you are missing a good deal of speed. Having typed that I'm certain you can find a WiFi spot with network issues where the speed isn't revealed but that isn't an IPhone issue. No need to field test WiFi is faster.

STORM will be fine and I would think STORM 2 will have WiFi. They will need to improve the browser and add all the gestures to really compete with the iPhone though...behind in the apps as well but, Apple has a 15 month headstart. It will come eventually.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #44
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
Bottom line is it comes down to company and culture...Anything lacking with the iPhone I'm sure will be fixed/enhanced in short order...certainly much faster than RIM.

You also have to remember that Apple's plan is to develop the iphone into a handheld mini computer. That's why its run a mini OSX program. RIM's OS is no way advanced enough for much beyond what it already does. Don't get me wrong, it works great for what it does and what it was designed for. Its just not the iphone. Apple will win this market, the writing is on the wall. It may take a few more hardware and software versions, but I can almost guanentee it. Even mighty M$ is playing catch up.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 12-01-2008 at 11:28 AM..
Old 12-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #45
modulo
Thumbs Must Hurt

i have never found apples updates to be especially prompt or efficient, as a generalized statement. can someone speak intelligently to RIM's record on this matter? i'm new to BB
Old 12-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #46
plakius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None

Storm ... at home screen notifies me of a new AIM or Facebook message
iPhone ... does not .. you have to physically be in the program for it to go

clearly push email is not an important feature to you if you think iPhone is superior .. and iPhone users try this exercise ... have someone email you their address and then you enter it in your address book ... i select and copy and then paste ... you tell me how memorizing and then clicking fully in to contacts works for you ... and then when you go back to email you have to go in and then scroll to the part of email where the address is

The biggest problem with Storm is that people saw it was a touch screen and thought it was a toy like the iPhone ... They are apple and oranges ... If you wanna compare something i recommend the G1 to iPhone ... that is a better comparison

People brag how fast apple fixes their firmware ...HA HA HA ... is that why you still can't picture text, copy and paste ?.... it took them a 1 year and 6 months to make it possible to text multiple contacts ... and in a text you STILL can't type in landscape mode as you can with web and email .... But i guess you guys could "Shazam" or have a fake flame to hold up when your at a concert .... that's what i need on a business device .... Mobile me wireless sync is genius cost you $100 a year ... G1 does it for free

People should not be early adoptees if they can't deal with glitches

One more thing if the iPhone is so superior why are so many iPhone users on Blackberry forums?

I'm not an apple hater .. I have An iMac and MacBook Pro .. I am an apple user but when it comes to a handheld that meet my usage there is nothing that holds up to the functionality of a blackberry ... iPhone is a tricked out phone

Last edited by plakius; 12-02-2008 at 08:39 AM..
Old 12-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #47
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakius View Post
The biggest problem with Storm is that people saw it was a touch screen and thought it was a toy like the iPhone ...
You lost your credibility after that "toy" comment.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #48
Donbp

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post

Even mighty M$ is playing catch up.
And you lost yours with this comment.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #49
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbp View Post
And you lost yours with this comment.
Why, they are.

Is it game over for Microsoft in mobile? | Redmond Pie

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 12-01-2008 at 05:20 PM..
Old 12-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #50
gescom

Model: Storm
PIN: 304ACD10

This is really hard for me to say but I am trading my storm back in for my old 8703e. It is just so damn frustrating to use. I hit this, it picks that, it hilites what I want before I click? Oh no I was wrong it changed its mind before I committed guess I am going to do that instead. Rinse, wash, repeat all day long....

Internet: fill text search box? No, zoom in, zoom in, zoom in.... what the hell? Does it really know my vision and correct it for me? Is this a feature? Only RIM knows. Err wait, maybe Verizon charges extra for filling dialog boxes out correctly the first time.

If that wasn't the boiling point for me already (which I suspected I needed time to familiarize myself more with the device so I dealt with it) then when I compared my Storm side by side to a colleagues iphone at the office it blew the doors off my Storm in about every way. My Storm looked like a poorly thought up idea of a dataphone compared to a 2 year old device. What's the deal with that? My new phone bragging rights quickly doused...

In short it may be good for some but I am thinking either an iphone on AT&T now and dropping my crackberry addiction or I am changing providers and going with AT&T anyhow to get a Bold.

I wonder how many people the Storm is helping to convert to AT&T? Didn't Verizon realize the negative side affects of releasing this? Err, wait they did when Apple dropped them the iphone... oh wait, that works pretty well as designed...
Old 12-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #51
4Runner

Model: 8830
Carrier: Alltel
Default Not sure you are 100%

Quote:
Storm ... at home screen notifies me of a new AIM or Facebook message
iPhone ... does not .. you have to physically be in the program for it to go
Incorrect. I see a red cirlce on the app, email or txt, with a white number indicating the number of unread messages I have waiting for me. In fact, at the home screen now and I see an email has just arrived. Pushed to me.

Quote:
clearly push email is not an important feature to you if you think iPhone is superior
I have push on iPhone. Not sure what you are referring too here.

Quote:
.. and iPhone users try this exercise ... have someone email you their address and then you enter it in your address book ... i select and copy and then paste ... you tell me how memorizing and then clicking fully in to contacts works for you ... and then when you go back to email you have to go in and then scroll to the part of email where the address is
Good point. This will be addressed in a future release so no hardware upgrade needed. Will be a nice feature once they add it but not a deal breaker.

Quote:
The biggest problem with Storm is that people saw it was a touch screen and thought it was a toy like the iPhone ... They are apple and oranges ... If you wanna compare something i recommend the G1 to iPhone ... that is a better comparison
Disagree. iPhone is the reference standard for all touch screen mobile devices period for better or for worse. They hit the market first and are hugely successful so rightfully so competitors and consumers are comparing. Every touch screen is and should be compared to the reference standard and that is the iPhone. G1 is a hack. STORM looks much better than that. I held that piece of G1 plastic while I waited for it to located me at a football game...Ugh. I hate to even mention G1 in the same sentence with STORM and iPhone. Please.

Quote:
People brag how fast apple fixes their firmware ...HA HA HA ... is that why you still can't picture text, copy and paste ?.... it took them a 1 year and 6 months to make it possible to text multiple contacts ... and in a text you STILL can't type in landscape mode as you can with web and email ....
Not really bragging...just now 2.0 came out in July and now we are at 2.2 in less than 4 months. Just a fact.

Not a fix but a feature. Personally I see no need for MMS....I have email so what the heck? Seems like years ago when all most people could do is text and not email while mobile it makes sense but now, seems like all my contacts have email on one device or another. Still, I do not understand why Apple is waiting until now to support MMS. Even with it beign offered I don't think i will use it. Multiple txt is nice to add to the list but who cares...I have used it once as a test.

Landscape - see no need for it but there is an app that has been out for a while now that provides this functionality for free if people need it until Apple adds it.

Quote:
But i guess you guys could "Shazam" or have a fake flame to hold up when your at a concert .... that's what i need on a business device .... Mobile me wireless sync is genius cost you $100 a year ... G1 does it for free
Now you hit the mother load. The App Store where you can find all kinds of apps for cheap or even free. Yes some of them are even cool such as Shazam or Around Me, facebook, Urbanspoon, Vicinity, Loopt, Mobile Banking, Stanza, Zenbe, Google, Wikipanion, etc ,etc, etc. I can hardly keep with all the apps out there and some are even productive. That is where Apple really did a fantastic job. Then take all that and include the touch screen and the SDK and develop a business app for your organization and you really have something special.

Quote:
People should not be early adoptees if they can't deal with cliches

One more thing if the iPhone is so superior why are so many iPhone users on Blackberry forums?
I agree and I have both...plus I think the STORM is interesting and is a nice device.

Quote:
I'm not an apple hater .. I have An iMac and MacBook Pro .. I am an apple user but when it comes to a handheld that meet my usage there is nothing that holds up to the functionality of a blackberry ... iPhone is a tricked out phone
Me either...not a fanboy either. Plenty of room for improvement from Apple. I just like my chances that they will get it right.

Yes, I type faster on BB 8830 but that is more than made up for with the numerous of other features but if that is all ones does, the Bold is very nice. However, for me, I want more and finally, I don't feel like I'm holding a brick to my ear when talking. Oh yea, the phone functionality is way overlooked so much nicer than any other cell phone or BB I have used to date.

Last edited by 4Runner; 12-01-2008 at 08:34 PM..
Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #52
fairbornstorm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: verizon

just face it iphone's suck, they'll never get it right not even close =)
Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #53
rick chi-town

Model: 9650
PIN: pin me to the wall.
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbornstorm View Post
just face it iphone's suck, they'll never get it right not even close =)
God, that was an insightful post... shouldn't U bE tExtnG 1of ur pEeps or sumthin?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #54
fairbornstorm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: verizon

lol
Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #55
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick chi-town View Post
God, that was an insightful post... shouldn't U bE tExtnG 1of ur pEeps or sumthin?
Old 12-02-2008, 12:28 AM   #56
mrjerome
Thumbs Must Hurt

Cool

Are you insane! I went in the Apple Store just for spite! Just to see the reaction when I turned on a video from videos4blackberry.info & blasted it. The reaction was just crazy, some got angry that they didn't wait and another returned hers and she came in to buy a case. Side by side in the Apple store and everyone was impressed. I walked out with my cordless, wireless sterio motorola headset while listening to my music. I loved it!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:10 AM   #57
jsmith93

PIN: 9530 Unlocked and 9000R
Carrier: The expensive one... Rogers
Default Iphone Is A Toy, Understood?

I looked up some definitions....
Iphone: A toy used by 3 year olds to wipe their a**'s.....
Blackberry Storm: A High tech device used for data and voice and has the capability unlike toys to run with real servers at the click of a screen...

The iphone is a toy and is basically an ipod touch with crappy voice service and what is known to iphoner's as "a good phone"... if thats good then i don't know what isnt good.... The iphone is a fun toy but at the end of the day the blackberry storm is the overall better device... unless u are 3 and need to wipe ur a**!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:23 AM   #58
theblackberryboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith93 View Post
I looked up some definitions....
Iphone: A toy used by 3 year olds to wipe their a**'s.....
Blackberry Storm: A High tech device used for data and voice and has the capability unlike toys to run with real servers at the click of a screen...

The iphone is a toy and is basically an ipod touch with crappy voice service and what is known to iphoner's as "a good phone"... if thats good then i don't know what isnt good.... The iphone is a fun toy but at the end of the day the blackberry storm is the overall better device... unless u are 3 and need to wipe ur a**!
haha that made my day.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:59 AM   #59
modulo
Thumbs Must Hurt

this thread is a train wreck.

i will offer up my story on why i passed up the iphone. im a software engineer, working in both 3d development as well as web dev (everything from database to front end engineering). i used a mac mini every day for 3 years and it was a painful experience. not that i have anything against apple, but windows environments are much more comfortable for me. i am very happy with windows both work and play (i am also a designer and photographer, freelance).

i have tried to give apple more chances, first with itunes then with an ipod. again, both of these products did nothing but cause problems and make life more difficult. i still use my ipod and itunes, the ipod uses usb connectivity to my car stereo (the reason i bought it) and when its not freezing or crashing, it does an ok job. itunes on the other hand is very buggy, user unfriendly and is a memory hog. unfortunately there really isnt anything else out there. rhapsody is a tragic disaster and not a viable alternative.

now for the iphone. the iphone (i have only used the 3g) does have some impressive innovations along with a snappy, clean and well polished OS. this struck me as a surprise considering i did not like OSX (dont remember the version)... at all. device design and software does what it needs to do very well, and i have respect for apple in bringing this to the market because it will drive companies, companies I personally like, to make better products. the reason i passed on the iphone was its poor performance as an actual phone. i realize some of this is related to the service, but much of it is a sign of apples inexperience in this particular technology. i did not find that their updates were either prompt or ever really addressed the problems i had with the product. it was all too familiar as an apple product that was only going to make my life more difficult. unfortunately the "it just works" slogan has never applied to me. anyway, i passed on the g1 also, basically because the device was a joke and a huge let down, but i have my eye closely on android and cant wait to watch it grow up. finally, i got to the storm and decided i was ready to jump in. the feature set meets my needs better than any other phone on the market. it meets the standard in most areas and sets new standards in other areas. its a decent first stab and i hope it gets better, because i have thoroughly enjoyed using it this last week and want to stay in the BB family for a while. not only for the device, but for the way rim develops their software and embraces businesses work flow.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #60
plakius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None

Quote:
Incorrect. I see a red cirlce on the app, email or txt, with a white number indicating the number of unread messages I have waiting for me. In fact, at the home screen now and I see an email has just arrived. Pushed to me.
yes email and sms show up .... I was referring to messages in AIM, FaceBook, gchat .... You have to open your facebook application to see you have notifications

And I also like having the option of having more control of my ring tones ... I make my own.... When I had the iPhone i found that you could only add ring tones for phone calls ... As with BB my sms rings different than my emails, as does facebook, mms, aim, yahoo mess, gchat, and BLACKBERRY MESSENGER which is a huge part of my life ... I love being able to send a contact card through it .... that is major

Quote:
I have push on iPhone. Not sure what you are referring too here.
iphone only supports push email with a mobileme account ... I have 10 emails for different reasons .. most are gmail ... and with iPhone i had to tell it to check every 15mns .. which when in low service areas, i found, did not function so hot ... as with my BB it gets email in low service areas ... and correct me if i am wrong but when you open an email with an attachment the iPhone automatically opens that attachment? ... slowing you down for a hot minute?.. I don't have a need to open every attachment... Especially spam

This debate could go on forever and ever ... It really comes down to.. Are you a blackberry or are you an iPhone?

I am a Blackberry!
Closed Thread