BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
rsp2rsp2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Owners...give Us Your Sense For The Keys !!!

Please Login to Remove!

Does the keypad actually "flex" in where you push a button? Something can could suffer wear-marks over time?

How do you actually "feel" the key that is chosen? A sharp vibrate/jolt (or is the click just an audible noise)?

If one is already used to BB buttons, do you think this virtual key design is satisfying enough to tolerate?

THERE ARE SO MANY MISLEADING PRE-RELEASE INTERNET WRITE UPS ON THIS FUNCTION...

HELP US WITH YOUR HANDS-ON EXPLANATION. BE WORDY...PLEASE!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
wippa

Model: storm
Carrier: vodafone

Yes the key pad does flex - though it's more of a click - if you've ever used a Mac then it's reminiscent of the click you could make by depressing the mouse rather than a left or right mouse click.

It's not a bad innovation, I prob prefer the Iphone in all honest for usability but the main problem is theres no calibration facility. Whilst you can pplay with certain settings to help the process, you can't actually calibrate it. At the moment my calibration means i need to press high and to the right of the actual button i want to press - frustrating and dissappointing, but after 24 hours of use i hardly notice it so much.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

My guess is that future OS upgrades will fix the "calibration" issue. I have the same issue with the Navi system in my new Honda, only Honda doesn't give free OS updates.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
golightlygl

Model: Storm
Carrier: Vodafone UK

It's possible future OS releases will fix calibration, but if it doesn't happen in the next 14 days whilst I still ahve a trial - my unit is going back.

The idea of Surpres is terrific, I really get a feel that the key is being pressed. But the calibration is so out that I almost always make a mistake. What's worrying me more as I'm using it is that the calibration errors seem to be stronger in the iddle of the screen than at the outer edges so I'm now even getting nervous that calibration won't fix it.

Ability to have a good working keyboard is of prime importance. It's why I rejected the ipjhone and it may be why the Storm goes back if not fixed. I don't want to go to the screen size and the OS of a Sony Ericsson Xperia X1, but it has a real keyboard and will probably be by destination 'phon until soft keyboards can work properly.

But hey, BB have got time to sort this out - just.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
david_uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsp2rsp2 View Post
Does the keypad actually "flex" in where you push a button? Something can could suffer wear-marks over time?

How do you actually "feel" the key that is chosen? A sharp vibrate/jolt (or is the click just an audible noise)?

If one is already used to BB buttons, do you think this virtual key design is satisfying enough to tolerate?
Calibration is certainly one issue, but I've been fighting with the Storm keyboard for 48 hours and I seriously doubt if touchscreens, even if clickable, are really the way to go for typing.

One problem is the absence of keyboard shortcuts, the other the lack of a trackball or similar. Let me try to illustrate.

(1) You're composing a message and notice a typo a couple of lines above the cursor. On Curve/Bold/whatever you just roll the ball to the offending point and correct the error. With Storm you have to place your thumb over that same point - I don't have particularly big fingers yet it's really hard to do this with the necessary precision.

(2) You're replying to a message. This reveals the virtual keyboard which leaves only one line below the message header for text input. Sure you can scroll down, but it's intuitive to want to see the context around what you're trying to say.

(3) Small gripe - on a "soft" keyboard you might expect the currency symbol to reflect your country settings (the older BBs managed it). But on the default keyboard you just get the US dollar, and the UK pound is hidden away amongst the symbols. Perhaps it's intended to reflect present reality, but if not, it just hasn't been thought through.

I praised the browser in another thread, and here touchscreen does work well until you need to input to a text field. It's so easy to hit the wrong part of the screen which then either zooms, reveals/hides the bottom icons, or worse, the keyboard.

It's almost like they gave us all that extra real estate (and Storm's screen is gorgeous), then take it all away each time we need to type. That's why I think navigation chimes better with touchscreen than text input, and it's difficult to see that changing.

I don't want to sound too negative about a device that represents an affordable, respectable alternative to iPhone that you can also hook up to a BES and enjoy all the OTA sync and other corporate BB goodies.

Of course, maybe Storm is not aimed at RIM's traditional user base; maybe the fact that it's difficult to type fast and accurately is not an issue amongst the new BB demographic looking for a social networking terminal and entertainment centre. But if Storm doesn't cut it in the boardroom or in field sales, the good news for RIM is, there's no way iPhone does, either.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
rsp2rsp2

Model: 9000

There ya go people. Nice replies. Keep it going. So the screen actually DOES flex, huh? This scares me into thinking that eventually, the plastic can wear out & get fade marks where the buttons are. Despite that the Storm might be an improvement over the feel of the iPhone, I am predicting that I am bound for a Bold. Damn...I wanted SO much for this to be workable. Oh well...at least I can have WiFi & a reliable keyboard now. Well, it comes out this Friday in the US. I guess I will at least give it a chance.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wippa View Post
Yes the key pad does flex - though it's more of a click - if you've ever used a Mac then it's reminiscent of the click you could make by depressing the mouse rather than a left or right mouse click.
This is a really great comparison, especially for me as a Mac owner. Thanks so much for posting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsp2rsp2 View Post
There ya go people. Nice replies. Keep it going. So the screen actually DOES flex, huh? This scares me into thinking that eventually, the plastic can wear out & get fade marks where the buttons are.
That's what the one year warranty is for though with my luck, it'd happen the next day after the warranty expired.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: Rogers

HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE KEYBOARD?? SEE BELOW....

1) Turn on Auto-Correction and correct at the end.

2) Don't cross-type

3) Go to Options

4) Screen/Keyboard

5) Change Key Rate & Key Delay to FAST

This will help you with typing on the Storm tremendously.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
LancePipes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Why is everyone so obsessed and dumbfounded with this SurePress feature? The few things I've heard about it describe it well and leave little room for speculation in my mind.

I think whoever replied to you earlier misinterpreted the meaning of "flex". I assume you're asking whether the screen actually bends or pushes in at a localized finger push. I've never seen the Storm, but I understand how it works from what I've heard. The screen itself doesn't push in at a localized area - it pushes in as one rigid unit. The screen is a button. When you push a mouse button, does the mouse button bend and flex, distorting the shape of the button? No, the whole button pushes in as single unit. This is exactly how the screen works. The entire screen depresses slightly (it may press in on one side a bit more, but it remains rigid). You select what you want by touching, then you click in the screen to select. You can click to select by pressing anywhere on the screen....the corner, the middle, the area that you already selected, etc. You don't have to push in where you selected an item because the click is just a confirmation. The screen is rigid and doesn't bend or flex. The whole screen pushes in as one unit!

Does that make sense? I hope so. I don't know why people can't understand how the screen works. It seems very straightforward to me. I guess the less you think about it the easier it is to comprehend.

Furthermore, from what I've read most people prefer the SurePress to the Iphone method. Sure it introduces another step of clicking the screen to confirm, but it also ensures greater accuracy.

Sorry to be a D.....hope this helps.

LTP
Old 11-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
StuartV

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePipes View Post
Why is everyone so obsessed and dumbfounded with this SurePress feature?

You select what you want by touching, then you click in the screen to select. You can click to select by pressing anywhere on the screen....the corner, the middle, the area that you already selected, etc. You don't have to push in where you selected an item because the click is just a confirmation.
I've read everything there is to read on the Storm (including the Owner's Manual). And your statement is exactly why it's NOT clear.

If you're in the browser, and you touch to select LinkA, then click somewhere else, and the spot where you click it just happens to be right on top of LinkB, which one gets activated? If the answer is LinkA, then how does the phone know that you meant LinkA when you actually clicked on LinkB? Is there some time delay, where, if you touch and click immediately, the phone only recognizes it as a click (i.e. it still activates the cursor at it's current location)? But, if you touch and delay for some amount of time, then the phone recognizes it as a touch (and thus, repositions the cursor to the touch location), and THEN you can press harder to register a click?
Verizon 9550
Old 11-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #11
BigA

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mark View Post

2) Don't cross-type

3) Go to Options

4) Screen/Keyboard

I would also like to add.

Try changing the font size. So instead of 10pt try 14 or 15pt font size to see if this helps. This should also help with making corrections to mistypes when you want to position the cursor to the correct spot with your fat little fingers. I don't have one to try it out, but this is just a though for others.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
LancePipes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I've read everything there is to read on the Storm (including the Owner's Manual). And your statement is exactly why it's NOT clear.

If you're in the browser, and you touch to select LinkA, then click somewhere else, and the spot where you click it just happens to be right on top of LinkB, which one gets activated? If the answer is LinkA, then how does the phone know that you meant LinkA when you actually clicked on LinkB? Is there some time delay, where, if you touch and click immediately, the phone only recognizes it as a click (i.e. it still activates the cursor at it's current location)? But, if you touch and delay for some amount of time, then the phone recognizes it as a touch (and thus, repositions the cursor to the touch location), and THEN you can press harder to register a click?
I saw a previous post where you made this same statement. I'm guessing you're thinking about it too hard. This is all speculation since I haven't handled a Storm, but I'm betting it's correct.

The difference between a selection (touch) and a confirmation (click) has nothing to do with the time of the contact at all. Rather it's dependent on pressure! If you touch the screen with a light tap, not strong enough to push the button (screen) in, it is a selection (touch). However, if you touch the screen with a bit more pressure, pushing the button (screen) in then that is a confirmation.

LTP
Old 11-20-2008, 04:13 AM   #13
wgimenes

Carrier: Vodafone

Regarding the screen touch and selection, you can have to click where you are touching it. For example, in media player, if you touch the play button and then click elsewhere on the screen, you will be selecting a different area thus not activating your previous selection.

The selection works the same way as a mouse: you select and then click.

The only time you can select and then click elsewhere is when you use the actual buttons, i.e. select a phone number from Contacts or Call Log and then press the Send button to make a call.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #14
the.ir1sh

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

On the Flex: This screen does NOT flex. The entire screen is a button. And the user that compared it to the Macbooks is the closest to the truth.

If you look closely it looks like a clear screen that is on some type of swivel that is the button. It's a solid click. There is no localized haptic buzz or jolt. Wherever you apply pressure with the intent of selecting, the feel of the button is consistent...the click is consistent.

I did notice if you try and push really-REALLY hard just left and above center of the screen a little LCD pressure bleed will occur (dead center) but it was nothing permanent with the force I was applying.

In line with other comments about the screen, the clarity is *dazzling* and when the keyboard popped up, little viewable space remains. Also, rotation from portrait to landscape and back again were less than snappy but still responsive. I would in no way was the transition between modes more than a second in duration. -In that sense, it was reasonable (just not as smooth as the apple with its hardware acceleration).

This is what I gathered with my 5 minutes at a Verizon Wireless store. I'm considering the move from my Pearl 8100 (with Blingball OOH AAAH) to the Bold 9000 or Storm 9500 but I'm leaning toward the Bold with it's tried and true keypad but upgraded hardware as my Blackberry is first and foremost a messaging device and a multimedia device second.

I hope my input is useful to you and all. Let me know if you have any other questions as I would enjoy being of assistance.

Regards,

Sean-Colin

Last edited by the.ir1sh; 11-21-2008 at 03:05 PM..
Old 11-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #15
cichosz

Model: 9530

In response to one question, I found that if you hold you finger down near where you are typing a message, the blue highlight changes to a black box and you can then move your finger ( while still touching the screen not pushing ) and you can move the cursor. Hope it helps. I love my storm, incredible compared to my wm 2003 smartphone.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #16
bwhite1234

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichosz View Post
In response to one question, I found that if you hold you finger down near where you are typing a message, the blue highlight changes to a black box and you can then move your finger ( while still touching the screen not pushing ) and you can move the cursor. Hope it helps. I love my storm, incredible compared to my wm 2003 smartphone.
This technique works to some degree, but I find it slows you down. I used to fly on my 8830, now I crawl. Maybe I just need some time to get used it as I just got it yesterday.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #17
Racerdj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mark View Post

2) Don't cross-type

3) Go to Options

4) Screen/Keyboard

Aslo found on one review on Crackberry.com, change the swipe sensitivity to high(6)
Old 11-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #18
plakius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichosz View Post
genius !... thank you for that ... i knew there was an easier way than having to just delete it all
Old 11-24-2008, 01:43 AM   #19
ocgreenmachine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon BIS

I find the screen easy to type on. I just gently place my finger on the screen before i push and the key that I am pushing lights up blue before I completely push down. Also, even though it seems like the letters take some time to show up on the screen after you push them, if you just type as fast as you usually do, it actually remembers the keys you push and the letters appear in the order you push them even if it seems like it is lagging. So you can type a sentence at your normal crackberry typing speed, and when you are finished, it will probably have caught up with you before you hit send. Now, I haven't tested it typing long paragraphs yet, but this is just sentence by sentence that I've noticed it.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #20
Jonilee Herger

Yes, the entire screen is a button and flexes when pressed. You need to be sure to type the left-hand keys with your left hand and the right-hand keys with your right hand. The Storm is calibrated out of the box for the keys to be handled that way.

The best part of the clickable feature is the fact that you can lightly drag a finger across the screen and see where the screen thinks your finger is before you click. The screen highlights the letter or LINK that you hover over, so you can be sure that you are clicking on the right thing.

I personally find it very usable and I am typing just as fast on this touchscreen as I would on a manual keyboard.
Closed Thread